Do you think humans live too long, or not long enough?

Yes, modern medical treatment has expanded our life span. The ancients ate pure food and had a lot more physical exercise than modern man.
Maybe you can add a few years to your life by being health conscious but I think we have pretty much plateaued.
Perhaps, but one thing is for sure, there is a lot more room to actually live healthier even if we die at the same age. Diabetes robs people of their stamina and mobility.
I’d rather die after my last hike or round of golf than my last TV program.

Yes, modern medical treatment has expanded our life span. The ancients ate pure food and had a lot more physical exercise than modern man.
Maybe you can add a few years to your life by being health conscious but I think we have pretty much plateaued.
We can do more….

Think about it.

At this point in human evolution, it takes us about 50+ years of our lives to REALLY figure it all out. Well, as much as we are able.
We spend too much of our teen years being stupid. We spend most of our early adulthood being stupid and working to pay for being stupid.
Then once we get to retirement age, we either end up having to work until we die, or just hang around the house until we die.
And really, by the time we do figure it all out and how to REALLY make things better, its too late......we're worm food.

So......what if humans were able to extend life another 100 years? Would you take it? Would you use all you have learned to become the person you always wanted to be? Or do something exceptional with all those skills and knowledge aquired?
Do you think humans would be better off knowing they can literally spend half of their life figuring it all out before actually getting to LIVE the life you want?

Just a thought.

Interesting article on the ultimate average life expectancy…..though, it may take three more centuries to reach it.

Think about it.

At this point in human evolution, it takes us about 50+ years of our lives to REALLY figure it all out. Well, as much as we are able.
We spend too much of our teen years being stupid. We spend most of our early adulthood being stupid and working to pay for being stupid.
Then once we get to retirement age, we either end up having to work until we die, or just hang around the house until we die.
And really, by the time we do figure it all out and how to REALLY make things better, its too late......we're worm food.

So......what if humans were able to extend life another 100 years? Would you take it? Would you use all you have learned to become the person you always wanted to be? Or do something exceptional with all those skills and knowledge aquired?
Do you think humans would be better off knowing they can literally spend half of their life figuring it all out before actually getting to LIVE the life you want?

Just a thought.

Age and dying came up for me again today as I watched an old Burt Reynolds movie "Stroker Ace" from 1983 just for giggles. While watching the movie, many NASCAR drivers played themselves in the movie. I noted that of the main characters, only Loni Anderson and Parker Stevenson are still alive. Loni is now 79 and Parker is 72. The real kicker was when Dale Earnhardt showed up in a scene. I then realized that every one of those drivers have long since retired decades ago and passed away.

I nearly died twice in 2022 and 2023. Since then, I have recovered and live with another young man's liver in me. My health is now pretty darn good. Since retiring and recovering, in that order, by the way, I have done some things that I have always wanted to do, and I have plans to do more. My view is that it always depends on your health. Complications after my transplant kept me in the hospital for 3 months, but I had to learn to walk again, and still have some minor issues, but I recently got to take my grandsons to the World War II Museum in New Orleans to see what life was like when their great grandfather served in the Army Air Forces. I am now approaching my 64th birthday and the days ahead still look bright. I look forward to my grandkids graduating from high school in the next few years and just might live long enough to see my first great grandchild. Even at this age, I have outlived most of my other living relatives such as aunts and uncles and all but a very few cousins because I was one of the younger ones. Right now, I would say I am comfortable in my life, and I will be able to do what my health allows. Would I want to live longer? Sure! But not if I am limited in my daily activities. That 3 months stay in the hospital where I couldn't even wipe my own backside taught me that that is not life when your very existence depends on others.

Forum List

Back