Do you WANT to believe in God?

I get really upset at people in church who think that you have to behave a certain way in order to be a christian. I even was told by a lady that a biker dude can't be a christian. That if you don't come to church in a dress and hat your not a christian...I mean WTF...cramming their man made junk down my throat.. Or look at the so called speakers like Pat Robertson and his 700 club garbage telling christians how to vote.

But you said you weren't religious. My point is that you are, deeply religious.

I am deeply spiritual with my relationship with God....Not Religious ....it is different. religion is all man made rules.
Bullshit. You are dishonest. You wouldn't know jack shit about Jesus if it wasn't for the bible. You are no different than any other religious nut that thinks they have the truth.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think Eaglewings is saying that she avoids the man made trappings/aspects of religion, ie joining a particular denomination/group, going to a particular denominations church, observing rituals laid down by these groups, and so on. I've heard many people say they do this and they often state they a have a personal spiritual relationship with God/Jesus as opposed to being 'religious'.

Simple Definition of religious

• : of or relating to religion

• : believing in a god or a group of gods and following the rules of a religion
He or she might never go to church or follow any rules but the fact is that it's still a religion. Just mentioning Jesus means it's a particular religion, Christianity. I've said the same thing myself, I was a Christian for at least 20 years. I believed I had the truthful way, but so does everybody else. It's par for the course.

Regardless of how powerful you feel about your beliefs, they are still just that, beliefs. That's why it's called a faith, not a fact.

Where did I say that I never went to church? I do not like the man made up stuff like the little children learning if they do anything they will go to hell.
I does sound like you have some anger going on , why get angry at me jerk off. There now you have a reason to be angry.
I'm not angry, where do you see anger? Beliefs are not facts, remember? I didn't say you didn't go to church, here are the words again..."He or she might never go to church" that was in response to Tilly saying maybe that's what you meant by not being religious.

I get really upset at people in church who think that you have to behave a certain way in order to be a christian. I even was told by a lady that a biker dude can't be a christian. That if you don't come to church in a dress and hat your not a christian...I mean WTF...cramming their man made junk down my throat.. Or look at the so called speakers like Pat Robertson and his 700 club garbage telling christians how to vote.

That's why I love Bonzi, she doesn't want to be "holier than thou." Being a Christian doesn't mean one has to pretend to be pious all the fucking time.

Why let it worry you? But it is the downside to suspending rational thought, once you go down the road where beliefs become fact by sheer willpower than it's open season for anything that captures the imagination.

I am deeply spiritual with my relationship with God....Not Religious ....it is different. religion is all man made rules.
Bullshit. You are dishonest. You wouldn't know jack shit about Jesus if it wasn't for the bible. You are no different than any other religious nut that thinks they have the truth.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think Eaglewings is saying that she avoids the man made trappings/aspects of religion, ie joining a particular denomination/group, going to a particular denominations church, observing rituals laid down by these groups, and so on. I've heard many people say they do this and they often state they a have a personal spiritual relationship with God/Jesus as opposed to being 'religious'.

He or she might never go to church or follow any rules but the fact is that it's still a religion. Just mentioning Jesus means it's a particular religion, Christianity. I've said the same thing myself, I was a Christian for at least 20 years. I believed I had the truthful way, but so does everybody else. It's par for the course.

Regardless of how powerful you feel about your beliefs, they are still just that, beliefs. That's why it's called a faith, not a fact.

Where did I say that I never went to church? I do not like the man made up stuff like the little children learning if they do anything they will go to hell.
I does sound like you have some anger going on , why get angry at me jerk off. There now you have a reason to be angry.
I'm not angry, where do you see anger? Beliefs are not facts, remember? I didn't say you didn't go to church, here are the words again..."He or she might never go to church" that was in response to Tilly saying maybe that's what you meant by not being religious.
Yes, that was me. I erroneously thought that might be an aspect of what Eaglewings meant by believing and being spiritual, but not 'religious'. My bad.

Yes, that was me. I erroneously thought that might be an aspect of what Eaglewings meant by believing and being spiritual, but not 'religious'. My bad.
I knew what she meant but you never know. It's just a discussion board though.

Thank you, Eaglewings, for telling us what you believe and how that manifests for you. I find it very interesting and am grateful.

Thank you Tilly for your genuine honesty. It is hard to open up especially online to people who do not know you..

Something funny: My husband went to catholic school in the 60's and drove the nuns crazy. He was told back then that if you think about sex your going to hell...The boy kid thought he was going to hell for years and years...Who does that to a person...geeezzzzz

Thank you, Eaglewings, for telling us what you believe and how that manifests for you. I find it very interesting and am grateful.

Thank you Tilly for your genuine honesty. It is hard to open up especially online to people who do not know you..

Something funny: My husband went to catholic school in the 60's and drove the nuns crazy. He was told back then that if you think about sex your going to hell...The boy kid thought he was going to hell for years and years...Who does that to a person...geeezzzzz
Nuns are sex starved and want to share their misery.

The thought of people like that being part of a congregation one might join is what also puts some off. I would be constantly biting my tongue in the face of judgey nonsense such as wearing a hat and dress etc!
As an irrelevant aside, I love churches, cathedrals and abbeys, and spend a lot of time in them on my travels. I love the feeling of serenity and I often find myself lighting candles for people, and listening to the choirs and organs etc. I like the overall message of Jesus.

No you were right Tilly. Religion is not God to me, I mean where did this having to eat fish on Fridays or wear a lace on your head come from.
I had my boys devoted to God in Kauai by the same man who married us. And out of respect for my father-in-law I Christianed them how ever that is spelled...I had to take a class in being a catholic and they still didn't let a father do that for us because I wasn't a catholic. A very liberal father did it for us...I mean come on, that does not come from God to me.

Nuns are sex starved and want to share their misery.
That's why they are getting cucumbers and carrots sliced....
They are weird. I had no dealings with them until I worked in a hospital, Catholic founded, so they had nuns there. Got stuck walking one home one night by request of my supervisor. She was peppering me with personal questions and asked if I was single, I said I was and turned and she was missing. I thought, "fuck, I'm in trouble". Then I heard the door to her apartment slam shut.

I am an atheist and yes I would like there to be an afterlife. I wouldn't want the God described in the Bible because that God is horrible.
Uh oh... He is going to smack your pee-pee for that one when you get there...ouch!!!! that will hurt....!!!!

My mother was educated in catholic school by nuns. She doesn't have a good word to say about most of them, but she said a couple of them were genuinely kind and altruistic. She and her fellow students used to make up 'sins' for confession as they were kids and really didn't have anything substantial to offer.

No you were right Tilly. Religion is not God to me, I mean where did this having to eat fish on Fridays or wear a lace on your head come from.
I had my boys devoted to God in Kauai by the same man who married us. And out of respect for my father-in-law I Christianed them how ever that is spelled...I had to take a class in being a catholic and they still didn't let a father do that for us because I wasn't a catholic. A very liberal father did it for us...I mean come on, that does not come from God to me.
You apparently don't do all the religious trimmings but religion is a belief, you choose to follow yours differently than others but it's still a religious belief.

The thought of people like that being part of a congregation one might join is what also puts some off. I would be constantly biting my tongue in the face of judgey nonsense such as wearing a hat and dress etc!
As an irrelevant aside, I love churches, cathedrals and abbeys, and spend a lot of time in them on my travels. I love the feeling of serenity and I often find myself lighting candles for people, and listening to the choirs and organs etc. I like the overall message of Jesus.

I would call that spiritual Tilly. The turn off is man who ruins it by telling us what a christian is by their standards. It doesn't say anything like it in the Bible..I used to bite my tongue too and when they tried to tell me how to vote I stopped going .

You apparently don't do all the religious trimmings but religion is a belief, you choose to follow yours differently than others but it's still a religious belief.

This is how I feel religion is

• an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

• : an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group
More like:

Faith:
strong belief in God based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

I am an atheist and yes I would like there to be an afterlife. I wouldn't want the God described in the Bible because that God is horrible.

The God described in the Bible is awesome. YHWH in the OT is like a grand combination of all the greatest and most badass male Sumero-Babylonian gods- Anu, Enlil, Enki, and Marduk- and is the ultimate deific archetype of supreme badassery! A perfect balance of Ultimate Creation and Ultimate Destruction... yet Ultimate Order over Ultimate Chaos...

Forum List

Back