Do you WANT to believe in God?

Thank you, Eaglewings, for telling us what you believe and how that manifests for you. I find it very interesting and am grateful.

Thank you Tilly for your genuine honesty. It is hard to open up especially online to people who do not know you..

Something funny: My husband went to catholic school in the 60's and drove the nuns crazy. He was told back then that if you think about sex your going to hell...The boy kid thought he was going to hell for years and years...Who does that to a person...geeezzzzz
My mother was educated in catholic school by nuns. She doesn't have a good word to say about most of them, but she said a couple of them were genuinely kind and altruistic. She and her fellow students used to make up 'sins' for confession as they were kids and really didn't have anything substantial to offer.

My husband was the trouble maker while his sisters were the perfect little angels. One time he was told to stay after school for punishment and he jumped out the window while these nuns chased after him...He jumped into his mothers car and yelled take off mom.. He is still a rebel..lol

Haaaa I love that story..makes me laugh.

I am an atheist and yes I would like there to be an afterlife. I wouldn't want the God described in the Bible because that God is horrible.

The God described in the Bible is awesome. YHWH in the OT is like a grand combination of all the greatest and most badass male Sumero-Babylonian gods- Anu, Enlil, Enki, and Marduk- and is the ultimate deific archetype of supreme badassery! Ultimate Creation and Ultimate Destruction... yet Order over Chaos...

Is this yet another "drive by" or you are going to hang around a while longer?

He or she might never go to church or follow any rules but the fact is that it's still a religion. Just mentioning Jesus means it's a particular religion, Christianity. I've said the same thing myself, I was a Christian for at least 20 years. I believed I had the truthful way, but so does everybody else. It's par for the course.

Regardless of how powerful you feel about your beliefs, they are still just that, beliefs. That's why it's called a faith, not a fact.

Where did I say that I never went to church? I do not like the man made up stuff like the little children learning if they do anything they will go to hell.
I does sound like you have some anger going on , why get angry at me jerk off. There now you have a reason to be angry.
I'm not angry, where do you see anger? Beliefs are not facts, remember? I didn't say you didn't go to church, here are the words again..."He or she might never go to church" that was in response to Tilly saying maybe that's what you meant by not being religious.
Yes, that was me. I erroneously thought that might be an aspect of what Eaglewings meant by believing and being spiritual, but not 'religious'. My bad.

No you were right Tilly. Religion is not God to me, I mean where did this having to eat fish on Fridays or wear a lace on your head come from.
I had my boys devoted to God in Kauai by the same man who married us. And out of respect for my father-in-law I Christianed them how ever that is spelled...I had to take a class in being a catholic and they still didn't let a father do that for us because I wasn't a catholic. A very liberal father did it for us...I mean come on, that does not come from God to me.
You apparently don't do all the religious trimmings but religion is a belief, you choose to follow yours differently than others but it's still a religious belief.
Let me see if I've got where you are coming from, straight, Iceweasel. You believe in God, but you don't define and don't associate God with any particular religion whatsoever, so, you are not 'religious'? And people who believe in God but associate that God with a religion, ie Christianity, are religious. Am I getting this right? If so, you are a theist but not religious. Sorry if I'm being dim. But, if you believe in Jesus, but not all the trappings, rites and rituals of Christianity, you cannot be a theist as such, as Jesus is exclusive to Christianity (and I don't accept the Muslim Isa is Jesus for many reasons, so I use the phrase exclusive knowingly).

Where did I say that I never went to church? I do not like the man made up stuff like the little children learning if they do anything they will go to hell.
I does sound like you have some anger going on , why get angry at me jerk off. There now you have a reason to be angry.
I'm not angry, where do you see anger? Beliefs are not facts, remember? I didn't say you didn't go to church, here are the words again..."He or she might never go to church" that was in response to Tilly saying maybe that's what you meant by not being religious.
Yes, that was me. I erroneously thought that might be an aspect of what Eaglewings meant by believing and being spiritual, but not 'religious'. My bad.

No you were right Tilly. Religion is not God to me, I mean where did this having to eat fish on Fridays or wear a lace on your head come from.
I had my boys devoted to God in Kauai by the same man who married us. And out of respect for my father-in-law I Christianed them how ever that is spelled...I had to take a class in being a catholic and they still didn't let a father do that for us because I wasn't a catholic. A very liberal father did it for us...I mean come on, that does not come from God to me.
You apparently don't do all the religious trimmings but religion is a belief, you choose to follow yours differently than others but it's still a religious belief.
Let me see if I've got where you are coming from, straight, Iceweasel. You believe in God, but you don't define and don't associate God with any particular religion whatsoever, so, you are not 'religious'? And people who believe in God but associate that God with a religion, ie Christianity, are religious. Am I getting this right? If so, you are a theist but not religious. Sorry if I'm being dim. But, if you believe in Jesus, but not all the trappings, rites and rituals of Christianity, you cannot be a theist as such, as Jesus is exclusive to Christianity (and I don't accept the Muslim Isa is Jesus for many reasons, so I use the phrase exclusive knowingly).
Religious means you are following a religion, religion are man made creations to explain who and what god is. I have no religious beliefs, period. I don't know how involved or uninvolved god is and if asked I say "I don't know".

So no, I don't believe any religions are true, you can trace them all back to where and when they started. The bible is no different.

I do believe there is a god though so that much is faith because I can't prove it, it doesn't seem likely to be that the universe is just a happy accident that was always here, or its' potential. Plus I have had some personal experiences that are without explanation or any probability. Both involved brothers passing or past. I am sure I'm not the only one and people naturally want an explanation so they come up with a religious one that elaborates on this and that.

Religious means you are following a religion, religion are man made creations to explain who and what god is. I have no religious beliefs, period. I don't know how involved or uninvolved god is and if asked I say "I don't know".

So no, I don't believe any religions are true, you can trace them all back to where and when they started. The bible is no different.

I do believe there is a god though so that much is faith because I can't prove it, it doesn't seem likely to be that the universe is just a happy accident that was always here, or its' potential. Plus I have had some personal experiences that are without explanation or any probability. Both involved brothers passing or past. I am sure I'm not the only one and people naturally want an explanation so they come up with a religious one that elaborates on this and that.
Thank you, Ice. I would find it easier to believe in Jesus than God. I know that sounds weird since Jesus is God, allegedly, but I mean I can relate to Jesus' message, but I don't want to be religious, rather a theist. Damn :)

This is a big reason why I don't call myself religious:

Why do people get sucked into a man like Pat Robertson and feel that they have to vote republican? Because they are looking to man and not their own discernment.. Since 1992 this stance on the religious right almost seems like a cult to me.

Being the year prior to an election year when the religious right seems to be gathering its strength to make a decisive push for the Republican party and, ultimately, the White House, the Meeting of the National Association of Evangelicals this past March was especially significant. Representing 46,000 churches from more than 70 Protestant denominations and fellowships and serving a constituency estimated as high as 15 million, the NAE's convention can serve as a barometer for determining the direction the religious right will chart between now and November of 1988. As such, there was much in this recent gathering to raise concern among those sensitive to church-state separation and a host of other dearly held freedoms

What is wrong with these people ~ So many have turned away from God because this is what some feel a christian is...

polls_god_hates_fags_5051_115328_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg
gay1.jpg

images

Dumb ass Jerry Farwell has turned off so many people.. Some Dumb Ass Quotes he has made.

1989: He allegedly commented about feminists:
"I listen to feminists and all these radical gals... These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men; that's their problem."

2001 ~ He came out after 9/11 and said this is why the terrorist attack happened.

The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the Pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America, I point the finger in their face and say: you helped this happen.

Closet Molester/ Adulterous Popes, priests, pastors, alders ...Anyone put on a pedestal can bring down a whole church and turn away from God.

The sexual abuse of children under the age of consent by priests has received significant media and public attention in theUnited States, Canada, Ireland, the United Kingdom, Mexico, Belgium, France, Germany and Australia. Cases have also been reported in other nations throughout the world.[12] Many of the cases span several decades and are brought forward years after the abuse occurred.

Thank you, Ice. I would find it easier to believe in Jesus than God. I know that sounds weird since Jesus is God, allegedly, but I mean I can relate to Jesus' message, but I don't want to be religious, rather a theist. Damn :)
Well, the whole idea is that Jesus is humanized and cares personally about you. He's your good buddy and always with you and looking out for you. It was tough to let it go.

I feel this way too Tilly.. Someone explained this to me one day and it made sense to me..maybe it will you as well.

bridge3.jpg

He doesn't need it, he believes it.

Well no need for discussion then.
I thought maybe a fact was revealed or available to him he could share that we didn't have.
Extra-terrestrials exist. Thousands upon thousands of people have abduction stories... I don't need faith, I have proof.
But the abduction stories don't stand up to close scrutiny or provide actual proof or evidence, do they?
All lot of them absolutely stand up to close scrutiny. So do tons of UFO sightings. Also, does Roswell mean anything to you?
Yes. I've never seen irrefutable 'evidence' for any of this stuff.
Then you haven't been paying attention.
So how do you explain that suddenly around 50,000 years ago humans started an intelligence explosion, after having evolved pretty much zero in the previous millions of years? And if evolution is solely responsible, then in millions of years, will all animals be able to build spaceships and fly them to other planets?
We already can build spaceships and fly them to other planets. Did you forget we are animals too?

Oh, and scientists suggest dolphins might be A LOT smarter than we think. Their brains have been evolving for millions of years longer than ours have. Just because they can't build a spaceship doesn't mean they aren't smart. Look at us as humans. Do we seem smart to you? Dolphins live a great life and aren't destroying the planet. So what you can make a microwave? BFD.
So you admit that you can't explain why around 50,000 years ago humans had a major intelligence explosion that dwarfed what had happened in the previous 5 million years. Got it.
I asked you if given enough time, do you think that dolphins will ever evolve enough to get their asses into space?

So how does that manifest? Are you saying you believe in God but aren't religious? Don't go to church etc?
Yes, I'm a theist but not religious, unlike the eagle person I do not personalize who or what god is. I don't know and neither does anybody else. Anyoen saying so speaks from faith, which is fine and dandy, BUT when they present it as fact I gotta call bull.
Ok. Thank you. I most of the time don't believe there is a God, but when catastrophe strikes, have found myself attempting to pray and wishing it were true and that I could believe. I suppose a lot of people do this, hypocritical as it is (me, not you, lol)
That's the worst time to contemplate the idea. Better to think about it when you are not stressed and when you are being rational and logical.

If I'm swimming in the ocean and a shark starts to circle me, all of the sudden I'm praying to god too.
No, you should be hoping that in your next life that you're not such a dumbass. :D
What next life? Geez what a dope.
There's more evidence of re-incarnation that there is of the invisible Big Guy in another dimension.

He doesn't need it, he believes it.

Well no need for discussion then.
I thought maybe a fact was revealed or available to him he could share that we didn't have.
Extra-terrestrials exist. Thousands upon thousands of people have abduction stories... I don't need faith, I have proof.
But the abduction stories don't stand up to close scrutiny or provide actual proof or evidence, do they?
All lot of them absolutely stand up to close scrutiny. So do tons of UFO sightings. Also, does Roswell mean anything to you?
Yes. I've never seen irrefutable 'evidence' for any of this stuff.
Then you haven't been paying attention.
So how do you explain that suddenly around 50,000 years ago humans started an intelligence explosion, after having evolved pretty much zero in the previous millions of years? And if evolution is solely responsible, then in millions of years, will all animals be able to build spaceships and fly them to other planets?
You aren't providing evidence of anything, you're just speculating and musing, interesting though it is.
So how do YOU explain it? The hand of god?

Yes, I'm a theist but not religious, unlike the eagle person I do not personalize who or what god is. I don't know and neither does anybody else. Anyoen saying so speaks from faith, which is fine and dandy, BUT when they present it as fact I gotta call bull.
Ok. Thank you. I most of the time don't believe there is a God, but when catastrophe strikes, have found myself attempting to pray and wishing it were true and that I could believe. I suppose a lot of people do this, hypocritical as it is (me, not you, lol)
That's the worst time to contemplate the idea. Better to think about it when you are not stressed and when you are being rational and logical.

If I'm swimming in the ocean and a shark starts to circle me, all of the sudden I'm praying to god too.
No, you should be hoping that in your next life that you're not such a dumbass. :D
What next life? Geez what a dope.
There's more evidence of re-incarnation that there is of the invisible Big Guy in another dimension.
So you believe in re-incarnation. Got it. Now I know why although I agree with a lot of your anti religious posts you still seem to be a stupid person for some reason. Now I know.

Forum List

Back