Doctors recommend Black men start PSA testing for prostate cancer at 45.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I was reading about this and was surprised to see how much more dangerous prostate cancer is for Black men. Primarily due to genetics, the forms of prostate cancer are more aggressive and present at a more advanced stage of cancer. Black men are twice as likely to die of it than men of other races. The medical recommendation is for them to begin PSA screening at 45. It's 55 for all other races.

And even if you are not Black it would be a good idea to start before 55. I lost a friend to prostate cancer at age 54. He was White but had a very aggressive form of the cancer and was gone 8 months after diagnosis.

My neighbor was 71 and had one of those "slow moving" diagnoses where the doctors monitor it and determine that it is not aggressive and you don't need to do anything about it at your age. One day Kent had back pain and didn't think anything of it because he had been laying down patio pavers, but it persisted and he went to the doctor.

That cancer was now aggressive, and it has now spread beyond his prostate. It was so aggressive that it killed him a month later.

My neighbor was 71 and had one of those "slow moving" diagnoses where the doctors monitor it and determine that it is not aggressive and you don't need to do anything about it at your age. One day Kent had back pain and didn't think anything of it because he had been laying down patio pavers, but it persisted and he went to the doctor.

That cancer was now aggressive, and it has now spread beyond his prostate. It was so aggressive that it killed him a month later.
Yep, back pain was my friend's first symptom too. The cancer was already stage 4.

This is precisely why having your bloodwork done yearly is so important, as well as the PSA test. It is not just about finding out what your results will be, it will be about establishing a track record of your measurements and seeing if anything is changing year over year.

I was reading about this and was surprised to see how much more dangerous prostate cancer is for Black men. Primarily due to genetics, the forms of prostate cancer are more aggressive and present at a more advanced stage of cancer. Black men are twice as likely to die of it than men of other races. The medical recommendation is for them to begin PSA screening at 45. It's 55 for all other races.

And even if you are not Black it would be a good idea to start before 55. I lost a friend to prostate cancer at age 54. He was White but had a very aggressive form of the cancer and was gone 8 months after diagnosis.

Just because prostrate cancer is a bigger deal with the black guys, doesn't mean that it has anything to do with genetics at all.

Maybe its specific items in the diet like malt liquor or chittlins that are causing the increased rate?

Forum List

Back