DOE wants to eliminate sports altogether

So, in the OPs special mind...

creating a special team, like a special track team, that goes to maybe one or two meets with the varsity team, and each member gets to do one or two events while the varsity cheers them on and supports them.... That's what the OP sees as "elimination"...

That's special thinking.

So, in the OPs special mind...

creating a special team, like a special track team, that goes to maybe one or two meets with the varsity team, and each member gets to do one or two events while the varsity cheers them on and supports them.... That's what the OP sees as "elimination"...

That's special thinking.

Special thinking is the belief that something that didn't work before will work now just because you still don't accept reality. The simple fact is that it will cost money, which has to come from somewhere. Since that money cannot come from the academic budget, it will come from the sports budget, and everyone will suffer.

Former National Wrestling Champion Stephen Neal is grappling with his toughest opponent yet. The 6-foot-5-inch 270-pounder racked up numerous awards during his four-year wrestling career at California State University at Bakersfield (CSUB): He was a four-time All American and an Academic All American, and he took home the Heisman Trophy of wrestling, the Dan Hodge Award. Yet the heavyweight, who graduated in 1999, burns for one more win -- not on a wrestling mat but in a court of law.
Neal's longest match started in 1996, when officials at CSUB announced plans to cut the wrestling team. It's not that the team wasn't performing. The only Division I sport at CSUB, the program had distinguished itself over the years, winning two PAC 10 championships and finishing in the top 10 in the NCAA finals three out of the previous four years. The problem had to do with "gender equity," the proportion of male to female athletes. Critics charged that CSUB, like many other colleges and universities, had too many men playing sports and was discriminating against women.
In 1993, when Neal was a junior wrestling at a San Diego high school, the California chapter of the National Organization for Women (CAL-NOW) was completing litigation against the California State University System, of which CSUB is a part. CAL-NOW claimed that the Cal State System discriminated against women in its athletics programs. A state superior court judge crafted a consent decree that gave individual CSU campuses five years to bring the gender breakdown of their student athletes and scholarships to within five percentage points of the breakdown in the student body. If a school's student body consisted of 55 percent women, then at least 50 percent of intercollegiate athletes needed to be women. On the financial front, total expenditures for men's and women's programs were to be within 10 percentage points of each other .
Title IX's Pyrrhic Victory - Reason.com

It might not hurt you to actually read the .pdf describing the program.

Given the fact that you did not actually refute anything from the OP is it safe to assume that NBC got the facts when they praised it as the best thing since sliced bread?

Yeah, I know, you don't believe me.

The feds are ordering schools across the country to make "reasonable" changes to sports programs so that disabled students can play — or else create separate teams for them.
The new guidance from the Education Department issued Friday was hailed by advocates for the disabled but denounced by a conservative think-tank that said it could cost big bucks for cash-strapped schools.
"We think it’s huge and historic. In my opinion it could have the same effect, if properly implemented, as Title IX did for women," said Kirk Bauer, executive director of Disabled Sports USA.

Disabled students must be given sports, says Education Dept. - U.S. News

Did any of these idiots actually pay attention to what Title IX actually accomplished?

If alterations to a traditional team aren't feasible, schools must create a sports program that is open to disabled students, the order says. If there aren't enough students, schools should seek to create district-wide, regional or mixed-gender programs.
That part of the directive could be a huge financial burden, said Mike Petrilli, executive vice president of the Thomas B. Fordham Institute, a right-leaning educational research nonprofit.
Your thread title is misleading and wreaks of alarmist mentality. The DOE is behind the times. Here in my county we already have programs for the handicapped. At several baseball complexes, at least one field is entirely covered with colored rubber. The Sunshine League is up and running. My grandson plays there every season. He is also in a basketball program and a track and field program. It was contributions from local citizens that built the facilities...not the US government.

Requirements for different locations will vary greatly depending on the number of handicapped children within the covered area and the types of sports that can be included.

While I am not one to deny any child an opportunity to do anything, there is a limit. It makes no sense to legislate a requirement that we build a handicap ramp to the top of Mount Everest.

its about government control. the handicap has nothing to do with it.
pretty soon they'll tell ya what hand ya have to wipe your butt with.

They did that when they banned toilet paper that were made in different colors.

I know they don't like sports and the way to end sports is to say either you have to come up with money for special sports programs or close down the sports programs altogether.

No school has enough money right now and if they did have extra money, it should go to building maintenance/repair, computers, books or more teachers. It's insane to throw more financial obligations on schools.

If they force this, schools will likely cancel sports programs. The only other option is even higher property taxes.

Sports programs are already open to the disabled, all they have to do is demonstrate enough ability to make the team. Haven't we already had kids with one arm playing baseball and a kid with a club foot kicking for a high school football team. DOE should be abolished, they do nothing but waste money.

On this I definitely agree. If there is one department in the federal government that accomplishes so little, it is the Department of Education. It doesn't teach one single child a single thing. Education should be left up to the states and local governments.

I know they don't like sports and the way to end sports is to say either you have to come up with money for special sports programs or close down the sports programs altogether.

No school has enough money right now and if they did have extra money, it should go to building maintenance/repair, computers, books or more teachers. It's insane to throw more financial obligations on schools.

If they force this, schools will likely cancel sports programs. The only other option is even higher property taxes.

Every once in a while, it is important to talk to the crazy people.

" I know they don't like sports " is directed at who, exactly?

Sports programs are already open to the disabled, all they have to do is demonstrate enough ability to make the team. Haven't we already had kids with one arm playing baseball and a kid with a club foot kicking for a high school football team. DOE should be abolished, they do nothing but waste money.

Seen a video of a down syndrome kid sinking a couple 3 pointers this week. I agree, If they can make the team have at it.

That is not what the rules are saying though, is it? Letting them play if they can make the team is one thing, forcing the schools to accommodate them in even if they can't is something else. The way this works is that a kid in a wheelchair who wants to play basketball either has to pay on the regular team, or the school has to create a new team for him. The general result will be that no one can play sports because the schools cannot afford to field different teams for each of the special kids and the regular ones that can actually play.

I don't agree with making accommodations for anyone, if they can't make the team on merit they shouldn't be on it. Not to be mean, but sorry about their luck.

I was just agreeing that sports are already open to the disabled if they can make the team therefore we don't need any more laws.

Seen a video of a down syndrome kid sinking a couple 3 pointers this week. I agree, If they can make the team have at it.

That is not what the rules are saying though, is it? Letting them play if they can make the team is one thing, forcing the schools to accommodate them in even if they can't is something else. The way this works is that a kid in a wheelchair who wants to play basketball either has to pay on the regular team, or the school has to create a new team for him. The general result will be that no one can play sports because the schools cannot afford to field different teams for each of the special kids and the regular ones that can actually play.

I don't agree with making accommodations for anyone, if they can't make the team on merit they shouldn't be on it. Not to be mean, but sorry about their luck.

I was just agreeing that sports are already open to the disabled if they can make the team therefore we don't need any more laws.

But not all disabled can make the team, so they don't get team sports? What is wrong with developing a regional system for these kids to participate in.

For those of us that participated in a sports program...did you enjoy it? Was it a memorable part of your High School years? Why would you want to deny these children that opportunity?

Yeah, I know, you don't believe me.

The feds are ordering schools across the country to make "reasonable" changes to sports programs so that disabled students can play — or else create separate teams for them.
The new guidance from the Education Department issued Friday was hailed by advocates for the disabled but denounced by a conservative think-tank that said it could cost big bucks for cash-strapped schools.
"We think it’s huge and historic. In my opinion it could have the same effect, if properly implemented, as Title IX did for women," said Kirk Bauer, executive director of Disabled Sports USA.
Disabled students must be given sports, says Education Dept. - U.S. News

Did any of these idiots actually pay attention to what Title IX actually accomplished?

If alterations to a traditional team aren't feasible, schools must create a sports program that is open to disabled students, the order says. If there aren't enough students, schools should seek to create district-wide, regional or mixed-gender programs.
That part of the directive could be a huge financial burden, said Mike Petrilli, executive vice president of the Thomas B. Fordham Institute, a right-leaning educational research nonprofit.
Your thread title is misleading and wreaks of alarmist mentality. The DOE is behind the times. Here in my county we already have programs for the handicapped. At several baseball complexes, at least one field is entirely covered with colored rubber. The Sunshine League is up and running. My grandson plays there every season. He is also in a basketball program and a track and field program. It was contributions from local citizens that built the facilities...not the US government.

Requirements for different locations will vary greatly depending on the number of handicapped children within the covered area and the types of sports that can be included.

While I am not one to deny any child an opportunity to do anything, there is a limit. It makes no sense to legislate a requirement that we build a handicap ramp to the top of Mount Everest.

How is it misleading? Did I proceed to argue that the DOE is going to make sports better, or am I pointing out the unintended consequences that will result from the new policy? It might be alarmist, but it is not misleading.

Once again, I have no problem with allowing anyone to play sports, if they qualify for the team. My objection is when schools are forced to field teams for the students who do not qualify. It makes no sense to set up a new basketball team for people in wheelchairs simply because two students want to play the game. It doesn't actually matter that the intention of the regulation is to be flexible, when it hits the courts the rules will have to be applied equally, regardless of how stupid it is.

Would you like an education in how the ADA is applied to prove the point?

It isn't that they don't like sports, its that they think everyone should win.

It might not hurt you to actually read the .pdf describing the program.

Given the fact that you did not actually refute anything from the OP is it safe to assume that NBC got the facts when they praised it as the best thing since sliced bread?

Did you read the .pdf or not?

Is the NBC story inaccurate? If it is, feel free to post the pdf and explain what they got wrong. If not, what the fuck is your point?

But not all disabled can make the team, so they don't get team sports? What is wrong with developing a regional system for these kids to participate in.

For those of us that participated in a sports program...did you enjoy it? Was it a memorable part of your High School years? Why would you want to deny these children that opportunity?

Like Special Olympics? Doesn't that already exist?

They are who? Liberals?

You really have got a lot to learn.

They are who? Liberals?

If I meant liberals, I would say liberals. Are you upset because I am tweaking a nerve? If I am not talking about you, why does me pointing out how absurd their position is bother you?

They are who? Liberals?

If I meant liberals, I would say liberals. Are you upset because I am tweaking a nerve? If I am not talking about you, why does me pointing out how absurd their position is bother you?

Then....who is "they"? Who thinks everyone should win?

Forum List

Back