Does carrying a gun make you safer? No. In fact, right-to-carry laws increase violent crime

Funny thing about Dept of Justice crime statistics... Interracial violent crime stats were always made available to the public. Then when Obama appointed the first black Attorney General, he put a stop to his DOJ releasing such stats.

Now why would Holder do that?

It certainly is a lot compared to other civilized countries. See France.

63 officers out of 1.8 million is not a lot. That's .0036% of cops. Even if France is 0% the difference is insignificant

And I don't know about you but I don't care about France or any other country. I don't want to live in any of those countries.

I don't particularly care about France, but I do care about our law enforcement. The rate seems much higher than it should be.

The rate people get shot by cops is .00028 out of 100

You wouldn't save the lives of 30 or more officers each year if you could?

Not if it meant I couldn't carry a weapon no.

Instead of concentrating on the people who will obey the laws why don't we decide to treat the criminals who actually use guns to commit crimes with the severity warranted?

You want to stop gun crimes?

Mandatory sentencing no exceptions for anyone 16 or older

Anyone committing a crime while in possession of a firearm whether or not they used the firearm or kept it in their pocket 30 years no parole
Anyone who shoots a person during the commission of any crime automatic life no parole whether or not the person who was shot lives or dies

I wonder if that would really work. Our jails are already the fullest in the world.

63 officers out of 1.8 million is not a lot. That's .0036% of cops. Even if France is 0% the difference is insignificant

And I don't know about you but I don't care about France or any other country. I don't want to live in any of those countries.

I don't particularly care about France, but I do care about our law enforcement. The rate seems much higher than it should be.

The rate people get shot by cops is .00028 out of 100

You wouldn't save the lives of 30 or more officers each year if you could?

Not if it meant I couldn't carry a weapon no.

Instead of concentrating on the people who will obey the laws why don't we decide to treat the criminals who actually use guns to commit crimes with the severity warranted?

You want to stop gun crimes?

Mandatory sentencing no exceptions for anyone 16 or older

Anyone committing a crime while in possession of a firearm whether or not they used the firearm or kept it in their pocket 30 years no parole
Anyone who shoots a person during the commission of any crime automatic life no parole whether or not the person who was shot lives or dies

I wonder if that would really work. Our jails are already the fullest in the world.

It's a simple matter to only reserve jails for violent criminals
We lock up too many nonviolent offenders

There should be alternate sentences for non violent offenders be it very long community service stints or even time in the military.

We an start by legalizing or at least decriminalizing the possession of certain quantities of all drugs. We end the failed so called war on drugs save trillions of dollars and free up prison space for the long term incarceration of violent criminals

Am I right that the right-to-carry laws started getting put into place as crime rates were already declining across the country?

Yes; essentially one thinks the Clinton administration as being the period of tremendous decline, and that was hurting gun sales dramatically. So the NRA was looking around for other ways to stimulate gun sales and managed to get a fair number of these right-to-carry laws passed during the Clinton years and successive years.

Permit holders do an amazing effectively job of arming criminals with their lost and stolen guns.
If a permit holder loses his/her/its firearm, the permit holder is an idiot and didn't deserve to own a firearm in the first place. As for stolen firearms, your average firearms owner can't afford a bank quality safe and live security personnel to watch over the safe, so a standard gun safe is the best he/she/it can generally do. It is in the owners absence when the burglar strikes. The owner isn't causing more crime, light sentencing in the judicial system is the root cause. Long term mandatory prison sentences for the possession of a stolen firearm would deter some.

There is no such thing as a ‘right to carry’ law – our rights are inalienable, they manifest as a consequence of our humanity, where our rights can be neither taken nor bestowed by any government, person, or law.

The right to carry a firearm is fundamental; states and local jurisdictions enact laws that regulate that right, not ‘authorize’ it.

As to whether the carrying of firearms results in an increase or decrease of violent crime, the question has no bearing on the right to do so.

Indeed, citizens are not required to ‘justify’ the exercising of a fundamental right as a ‘prerequisite’ to do so – the right in of itself is sufficient justification.

The fact remains, therefore, that there is no objective, documented evidence that supports the notion that the carrying of a firearm either increases or decreases crime.

There is no such thing as a ‘right to carry’ law – our rights are inalienable, they manifest as a consequence of our humanity, where our rights can be neither taken nor bestowed by any government, person, or law.

The right to carry a firearm is fundamental; states and local jurisdictions enact laws that regulate that right, not ‘authorize’ it.

As to whether the carrying of firearms results in an increase or decrease of violent crime, the question has no bearing on the right to do so.

Indeed, citizens are not required to ‘justify’ the exercising of a fundamental right as a ‘prerequisite’ to do so – the right in of itself is sufficient justification.

The fact remains, therefore, that there is no objective, documented evidence that supports the notion that the carrying of a firearm either increases or decreases crime.
Fact is there is lots of it. Provable and unprovable. One day a long time ago, all I had to do was turn the left side of my body toward the asshole, assuming a defense posture, and place my hand near my hip. He walked the other way.

Interesting study:

The way I try to frame it is, right-to-carry laws can increase crime, violent crime, by maybe 13 or 15% over a 10-year period. Some factors decrease crime, some factors increase crime. Increasing incarceration tends to push down crime, increasing police tends to push down crime, and allowing citizens to carry handguns tends to push up crime.

Does carrying a gun make you safer? No. In fact, right-to-carry laws increase violent crime

Jesus Christ, the researcher had to come up with fake states, in a fake simulation, ina n environment he set up...why not just look up the actual statistics???? There's more than plenty of recorded statistics on the matter contradicting his fantasy land. The fact he had to set up a "virtual environment," to come to this conclusion WASNT A RED FLAG FOR YOU? You have got to be kidding me.
Why look up real numbers when you can use "synthetic analysis" and make the numbers come out to agree with your preconceptions?

That's true, we all need ego boosters in the face of reality right.

It already is.
Well then like the gun banners do, we need another law! ;)

The gun banners don't realize that no matter how many laws are in place, the CRIMINALS don't care. There's only one that needs to be in place for me and it's been there since 1791.
They realize it, they don't care. Liberals are all out going for the destruction of this country.

Brain357 indicated that I should't have been irresponsible enough to leave a gun in my car. Interesting how to him I, someone that followed the law, was wrong while the person breaking it by going into the car and taking something that wasn't his isn't a concern.

I offered Brain the challenge of if he didn't think people should own guns that he should try to take them away. As suspected, he failed to be a man and back up his words.

Keyboard courage is funny, so is gun courage. You are adorable. Please tell me you were drunk too.

Yes your keyboard courage is laughable. You say people shouldn't have something then hide behind it refusing to be a man and try to do something about it.

When should I expect you? That's right, you're too busy running your dick sucker about what you think should happen but doing nothing about it.

According to a "novel algorithm" -- hmmmmmmmmmm.
We take that composite of other states and see what happened in that composite of other states after 1996. Then we’re comparing Texas against this composite of other states, because that composite was such a good match for identifying the impact, the pattern of crime prior to 1996.

Let’s compare it with what actually did happen in Texas after 1996, and the difference between those two numbers becomes your prediction of what the impact of Texas passing the right-to-carry law in 1996 was on violent crime.

What we found [was] that there tended to be a fairly substantial difference between those two numbers, such that it looked as though you saw about 10% to 15% higher levels of violent crime than you would have seen had you not adopted right to carry.

For some states, and Texas happened to be one of them, crime was trending down, and it just didn’t trend down nearly as much in this comparison group of states that had mimicked the pattern of Texas prior to 1996.

Liberals when it comes to this think there just can't be any other causes for the crime rate differences in Texas.

Well, what about the massive influx of illegal Hispanics into Texas?
Oh., but Liberals when it comes to that issue, want to throw out studies showing elevated Hispanic crime, dismissing it as just socio-economics.

So, what's with this stunning hypocrisy?

A million crimes per year are prevented by good men and women carrying guns.

How many arrests does that lead to?
None if the crimes are prevented.

So do you think the criminal gives up a life of crime or just moves on to still commit a crime?
So it would be better if no crimes were stopped by concealed carry. More rapes more murders more robbery. Great plan retard.

Forum List

Back