Does is really matter what the experts think in a democracy?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
I'm kind of wondering how much should 'expert' opinions matter in a democracy since everyone gets one vote in such a government. One expert who votes is worth as much as one non-expert. It kind of cancels each other out. I hate to tell the intellectual elites in this country but the people you look down on have as much say over the government as yourself. This means an expert's opinion on anything isn't more important than anyone else's. An example are movies that are critically reviewed. They are people out there who really will not watch a film or not even like a film because an expert said it was a bad movie. The elite in this country kind of look down on the opinions of the masses as naturally inferior and put down America's sense of the common man being more successful than the artificially appointed elites but this is actually because of America's great sense of equality and democracy. It just seems democratic that the masses of the common people can do things better than their superiors and it may be true sometimes that the 'experts' are right but they still have to get their thinking pass the judgement of the everyday average person on the street. This may upset a few people who consider themselves elites and think they should run everything but this is a democracy where everyone, even experts, are equal to each other.

I'm kind of wondering how much should 'expert' opinions matter in a democracy since everyone gets one vote in such a government. One expert who votes is worth as much as one non-expert. It kind of cancels each other out. I hate to tell the intellectual elites in this country but the people you look down on have as much say over the government as yourself. This means an expert's opinion on anything isn't more important than anyone else's. An example are movies that are critically reviewed. They are people out there who really will not watch a film or not even like a film because an expert said it was a bad movie. The elite in this country kind of look down on the opinions of the masses as naturally inferior and put down America's sense of the common man being more successful than the artificially appointed elites but this is actually because of America's great sense of equality and democracy. It just seems democratic that the masses of the common people can do things better than their superiors and it may be true sometimes that the 'experts' are right but they still have to get their thinking pass the judgement of the everyday average person on the street. This may upset a few people who consider themselves elites and think they should run everything but this is a democracy where everyone, even experts, are equal to each other.
This is a very good point.

However, common folk don't think for themselves, their ideas are created for them.

In another thread, I posted this information;

Republican Presidential Candidates 2016 | sorted alphabetically

Democratic Presidential Candidates 2016 | sorted alphabetically

Now, that is just the two major parties. It accounts for nearly 40 Republicans and 20 Democrats.

It doesn't even count the Green and Libertarian Parties and other independent parties. Why include them? They are excluded from the debates and the ballot. Is that democracy? The establishment excludes other POV's that are a threat to the ruling order. The difference in POV between the Democrats and Republicans is marginal at best.

However, at the beginning of the primary season, most Americans only heard about, maybe three Democrats, and probably a dozen Republicans.

All the choices that are being given are owned by the elites. That is the reality.

However, common folk don't think for themselves, their ideas are created for them.
Perhaps that's why only half the population turns out to vote. Maybe the common folk aren't quite as stupid as you think.

Perhaps that's why only half the population turns out to vote. Maybe the common folk aren't quite as stupid as you think.
The common folk are as dumb as dog shit. It's why the Founders didn't grant them any real power.

Really common people know the deck is stacked, that politicians are lying sacks of shit, and that their vote isn't going to make much of a difference one way or the other in their lives. I have been encouraging people to vote for years (not who to vote for, just to pay attention and to exercise their right). The reason I ALWAYS get from nonvoters is the above. Because they know you are right, the Founders didn't grant them any real power.

Forum List

Back