Donald Sutherland will not be down for breakfast

Damn.

If you haven't seen Forsaken (2015), watch it. It's available on Prime.
Funny that. . . this was the last movie I watched with him in it.

It was available just a few months ago for free on their free service FreeVee. I believe it was also available on Tubi as well.

Yup, Roku is offering it right now free with ads.

The Trades

Donald Sutherland, the tall, lean and long-faced Canadian actor who became a countercultural icon with such films as “The Dirty Dozen,” “MASH,” “Klute” and “Don’t Look Now,” and who subsequently enjoyed a prolific and wide-ranging career in films including “Ordinary People,” “Without Limits” and the “Hunger Games” films, died Thursday in Miami after a long illness, CAA confirmed. He was 88.

He and Woody Harrelson were the only thing that made watching that whole Hunger Games series with my kid tolerable when that thing was big with his generation.

:lol:

Most of us who grew up watching his career have the memories. Varied as they are, he was the consummate actor. Having lived in Hollywood and having close friends who were accomplished in the field, I can tell you...

There is a void left when characters like Donald leave the scene. It was felt before his passing. It is said he is NOTHING like the characters he portrayed. As is true of most great actors.

Donald Sutherland, Shape-Shifting Movie Star, Dies at 88​

In a wide-ranging career (from “M*A*S*H” to “Ordinary People” to “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”), he could be endearing in one role, menacing in another and just plain odd in a third.

the dirty dozen, my fave was kelly's heroes as the goofy tank commander.

the dirty dozen, my fave was kelly's heroes as the goofy tank commander.

great character

"Mr. Sutherland’s chameleonlike ability to be endearing in one role, menacing in another and just plain odd in yet a third appealed to directors, among them Federico Fellini, Robert Altman, Bernardo Bertolucci and Oliver Stone."

Most of us who grew up watching his career have the memories. Varied as they are, he was the consummate actor. Having lived in Hollywood and having close friends who were accomplished in the field, I can tell you...

There is a void left when characters like Donald leave the scene. It was felt before his passing. It is said he is NOTHING like the characters he portrayed. As is true of most great actors.

In a wide-ranging career (from “M*A*S*H” to “Ordinary People” to “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”), he could be endearing in one role, menacing in another and just plain odd in a third.
RIP

Gives me the sad...The man who breathed life into the character whose handle I stole has passed.

RIP, Oddball...Sending all the cosmic positive waves your way.

1d516d8801d16f9172432992a7a47c4d.jpg

What wingnuts like you missed: You forget to hate his kinship with Jane Fonda's politics! LOL

In “Klute” (1971), another early triumph, Mr. Sutherland was a small-town policeman crossing paths with a big-city call girl played by Jane Fonda. He and Ms. Fonda then began an affair that lasted three years; their relationship dovetailed with his most conspicuous burst of political activism, which matched hers.

In 1971, he joined Ms. Fonda and other actors in a comedy troupe called F.T.A. that toured military towns, performing satirical sketches infused unmistakably with an anti-Vietnam War spirit. The group’s initials stood for Free the Army, though soldiers recognized a far less dainty meaning.

Although Mr. Sutherland’s politics leaned leftward, he told Playboy: “I didn’t like doing anything political within the United States because I am, after all, Canadian.” But, he added, “there was a huge Canadian participation in the war, and so I felt, on this, I had a right.”

Last edited:
What wingnuts missed: to hate his kinship with Jane Fonda's politics! LOL

In “Klute” (1971), another early triumph, Mr. Sutherland was a small-town policeman crossing paths with a big-city call girl played by Jane Fonda. He and Ms. Fonda then began an affair that lasted three years; their relationship dovetailed with his most conspicuous burst of political activism, which matched hers.

In 1971, he joined Ms. Fonda and other actors in a comedy troupe called F.T.A. that toured military towns, performing satirical sketches infused unmistakably with an anti-Vietnam War spirit. The group’s initials stood for Free the Army, though soldiers recognized a far less dainty meaning.

Although Mr. Sutherland’s politics leaned leftward, he told Playboy: “I didn’t like doing anything political within the United States because I am, after all, Canadian.” But, he added, “there was a huge Canadian participation in the war, and so I felt, on this, I had a right.”

Last edited:
He was even in Animal House
Could do anything and be convincing
Keifer talented also

What wingnuts missed: to hate Mr. Jane Fonda! LOL

Sutherland was one of my favorite actors .. Fonda not so much ... i don't like how she treated our troops in Nam ! and how she posed with the Viet Cong and one of their anti aircraft guns .

Im just kidding! He was AWESOME!! I was super bummed when I saw this news earlier.

Gives me the sad...The man who breathed life into the character whose handle I stole has passed.

RIP, Oddball...Sending all the cosmic positive waves your way.

1d516d8801d16f9172432992a7a47c4d.jpg

One of my favorite actors....who I already thought was dead.

Donald Southerland was one hell of an actor. RIP Donald Southerland.

He looked so much like his son Kiefer, I often got them mixed up. But a really long impressive play list though not many that are my kind of movie. But a few in our movie collection: "M.A.S.H" "The Dirty Dozen" and probably others if I think about it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back