Donald Trump is launching his own social media platform TRUTHSOCIAL.COM!!!!

I'm not sure I agree with that.

Sorry, but it is still true. Trump is still speaking, he is still on TV, he is still holding rallies and he now says he will have his own social media platform...what fucking more do you people want?

The freedom of speech does not give you the right to say anything you want wherever you want. You come to my house and talk shit then you are going to leave, even if you accuse me of taking your freedom of speech

Sorry, but it is still true. Trump is still speaking, he is still on TV, he is still holding rallies and he now says he will have his own social media platform...what fucking more do you people want?

The freedom of speech does not give you the right to say anything you want wherever you want. You come to my house and talk shit then you are going to leave, even if you accuse me of taking your freedom of speech
In order to completely disengage from that particular viewpoint you would have to deny the massive penetration of all of those media platforms..... That is just not possible. Like it or not these are completely unprecedented constructs in communication that have no tie to the past or any past legal precedent. I'm not a fan of government interference. However in this case I don't think it's wrong to say that these media platforms have become part of the government.

In order to completely disengage from that particular viewpoint you would have to deny the massive penetration of all of those media platforms..... That is just not possible. Like it or not these are completely unprecedented constructs in communication that have no tie to the past or any past legal precedent. I'm not a fan of government interference. However in this case I don't think it's wrong to say that these media platforms have become part of the government.

I suspect if they were blocking Biden vice Trump you would not hold the same view

In order to completely disengage from that particular viewpoint you would have to deny the massive penetration of all of those media platforms..... That is just not possible.

However in this case I don't think it's wrong to say that these media platforms have become part of the government.
They are private entities, and as such can set whatever terms of service they see fit to impose. This is no different than when the Agusta golf course didn't let in blacks or women, and the courts said as a private entity they could do that.

Augusta's policy even denied memberships to U.S. Supreme Court Justices who happen to have been women

They are private entities, and as such can set whatever terms of service they see fit to impose. This is no different than when the Agusta golf course didn't let in blacks or women, and the courts said as a private entity they could do that.

Augusta's policy even denied memberships to U.S. Supreme Court Justices who happen to have been women
I disagree ... I believe they have become de facto parts of the Federal construct.

Jo

I disagree ... I believe they have become de facto parts of the Federal construct.

Jo
How can they be "de facto" government, when I own a piece of them. And private citizens aren't allowed to own parts of the government.

How can they be "de facto" government, when I own a piece of them. And private citizens aren't allowed to own parts of the government.
I agree that the issue is muddy.... However it is also unprecedented.

They have all been energetically incorporated as election tools, networking tools, campaigning tools and debating tools...in effect our legislators have hijacked these platforms and created a disparity between network access versus non access. Same thing that happened to the electric grid. ( Still not a complete precedent) ....it has arguably risen to the level of public utility.

I agree that the issue is muddy.... However it is also unprecedented.

They have all been energetically incorporated as election tools, networking tools, campaigning tools and debating tools...in effect our legislators have hijacked these platforms and created a disparity between network access versus non access. Same thing that happened to the electric grid. ( Still not a complete precedent) ....it has arguably risen to the level of public utility.
The electric grid is a public utility, same with the old phone company because of the nature of the business model. They were publicly regulated monopolies. But facebook, google, etc aren't bound by limited access. Where you can't have five different companies running power lines, or telephone lines into a community, you have a dozen similar search engines and social media sites available just by typing a different URL into your browser.

If you don't like google, go to bing, or yandex, or dozens more, both big and small.

This is no different than when the IBM pc was king.

The electric grid is a public utility, same with the old phone company because of the nature of the business model. They were publicly regulated monopolies. But facebook, google, etc aren't bound by limited access. Where you can't have five different companies running power lines, or telephone lines into a community, you have a dozen similar search engines and social media sites available just by typing a different URL into your browser.

If you don't like google, go to bing, or yandex, or dozens more, both big and small.

This is no different than when the IBM pc was king.
There are far more than five companies running the power lines. Many of the line sectors have multiple and layered ownership in fact. I think you are underestimating what has happened..There actually are not any real choices if you are outlawed by the big boys. Anti-trust will not actually be effective because ultimately it cannot be policed in real time. However a utilized service can be and given the depth of the penetration via the internet....now another virtual public grid....it is high time.

jo

Anybody who violates TOS and gets banned gets what they deserve. Next time don't break the rules. It's no different than at US Message Board.
Can't agree --- the women's HUGEHUGE knitting forum "Ravelry" banned all mention of Trump during his last year in office. Now THAT is just ----- wrong.

Not that Trump had much to do with knitting, I admit. But sometimes rules stink.

Last edited:
There are far more than five companies running the power lines. Many of the line sectors have multiple and layered ownership in fact.

You are comparing transmission lines to the internet. But I was talking about residential distribution, where one company is in charge of providing residential service. They actually act as middlemen to varied electrical generation companies.

What makes you an idiot is pretending not to know they are SELECTIVELY APPLIED.

Ban an American president and give the taliban free reign

oh well.... that is what's called private biz'nez tactics 101.

just like a bakery can choose to bake a wedding cake for someone inked up with swatzikas, but can turn down a homogay couple is what the free market allows.

But not equal protection. There's no question but that Facebook Google and Twitter have reached the level of public utility. As much as I don't like to see government involved it's time for a change in laws.

i'd like to see the internets fall under that same utility umbrella.

Playtime laughs that the Taliban has a place on leftist Twitter. That tells you all you need to know about our liberal posters -- supporters of terrorism

neh'eh ... i am laughing at YOU. the rest of yer reply is silly.

i can tell you played hookey the day reading comp was being taught.

It's just consequential.

A social media platform where not only bubbles of radicalizing political factions are forming that hate each other -- but one step further: The social media platform IS the bubble! Pretty smart.

oh well.... that is what's called private biz'nez tactics 101.

just like a bakery can choose to bake a wedding cake for someone inked up with swatzikas, but can turn down a homogay couple is what the free market allows.
However if you utilitize the service it is no longer decided by predilection or personal prudence. Utilitizing it also takes the burden away from those who feel they are violating the conscience by providing something that is contrary to their own philosophical construct. I generally lean in the other direction when it comes to government control of something. However in this case It's time to face the fact that internet access and social media access have become as necessary to the functioning of daily living as electricity and running water and therefore must be distributed in a similar manner.

Forum List

Back