Don't be a DINK!

My wife and I are DINKs and couldn't be happier. :smoke:

I have a friend who knew from childhood that she never wanted children, and neither did her husband. I respect that. The questioning she got for that is unreal. People saying "you'll regret it, you should have at least one", etc. Just leave it alone and let people LIVE.

However.

Even so, I think this DINK stuff is way over the top. "We're DINKS, of COURSE we go out to brunch every Sunday" or whatever just looks indulged and petty.

However, pondering this, DINKS are superior to some millennial parents out there, the Jellyfish/Gentle parenting crowd who never pay attention to their kids and are always on their phone. They've also rendered their children hobbled by "smart" technology bc they couldn't be bothered to parent, so here we are.

It's not a duty to have kids. Have them if you want them. If a married couple doesn't want then that's just fine as well.

My happiness surely is.
big-lebowski.gif

There has been a lot of threads lately with people telling others what is best for their life.

I guess given the current condition of the country where both sides are doing all they can to take away freedoms and control the people it is not a surprise.

My wife I and know many DINK couples from our careers. My career was in engineering, hers was academia. It's too bad these well educated couples chose to not have kids because there is certainly no shortage of unfit parents having too many kids way too young. It doesn't bode well for the future.
Some of those people may not have had a choice.. I know some couples that have no kids and publicly state it was their choice while privately spending a fortune on fertility drugs. Also privately trying to adopt. Considering the amount of children needing adopted you would think it would be a straight forward process. It is not.

There has been a lot of threads lately with people telling others what is best for their life.

I guess given the current condition of the country where both sides are doing all they can to take away freedoms and control the people it is not a surprise.
Control the what?

Some of those people may not have had a choice.. I know some couples that have no kids and publicly state it was their choice while privately spending a fortune on fertility drugs. Also privately trying to adopt. Considering the amount of children needing adopted you would think it would be a straight forward process. It is not.

And then some have medical conditions they do not wish to hand down to their offspring. We have friends where the wife is a Type-1 diabetic and the husband has Crohn's disease. Both are autoimmune issues and any kids they have would be damn near guaranteed to have one of those or even something worse. They think it is unfair to knowingly do that to a child.

My son, while only 22, does not want to have kids because he too is a Type 1 and has been since he was 10. He thinks it would be immoral to knowingly pass that on.

Everyone. Between the two parties there is not much at all they do not want the Govt to control.

And now we have you telling people how they should live their lives.

Why not just live your life and let others live theirs.

But no, that would not be any fun for people like you

And then some have medical conditions they do not wish to hand down to their offspring. We have friends where the wife is a Type-1 diabetic and the husband has Crohn's disease. Both are autoimmune issues and any kids they have would be damn near guaranteed to have one of those or even something worse. They think it is unfair to knowingly do that to a child.

My son, while only 22, does not want to have kids because he too is a Type 1 and has been since he was 10. He thinks it would be immoral to knowingly pass that on.
More immoral than not passing on life itself?

Everyone. Between the two parties there is not much at all they do not want the Govt to control.

And now we have you telling people how they should live their lives.

Why not just live your life and let others live theirs.

But no, that would not be any fun for people like you
People? What people?

Forum List

Back