Dorms must accept emotional support dogs

Hotels have it even worse.

Most hotels don't accept pets. Flea and pet dander which set off allergies are the two biggest reasons. The cost in cleaning a room afterwords adds up quickly.

HOWEVER, if the person claims that the pet is their "support animal", the hotel is required by law to accept the pet and can not charge extra or even ask for proof. To do either can result in a lawsuit for violating the Federal ADA laws.

It depends on the hotel. The more expensive the hotel, the more likely it will accept pets. I have stayed at the Beverly Hilton and the Palomar with my dog as a welcome guest. Even in the restaurant on the patio.

The biggest problem I foresee is people getting bit and people suffering allergies. I love pets, don't get me wrong, but I have friends and relatives who are allergic and I know how miserable they can get because of that.

I would say that a dorm building should be reserved for pet owners. As long as those with pets live among other pet owners, no one would need to worry about those with allergies. I would also insist that people cannot bring any dog that tends to be nasty to strangers. Many are. Otherwise, it's a great idea and good protection. I know I feel safe with my big dog. If any stranger tried to break into the house, he'd alert me and if someone tried to hurt me, he would attack them.

Just like with smoking, people should respect those who cannot tolerate certain things because of health reasons.

Last edited:
The wife and I have a Jack Russell.. We love him dearly and he is a pure joy most of the time.

But to claim that he is a "support animal" is just plain stupid.

I have no problem with seeing eye dogs, dogs trained for the deaf, even dogs trained to be with those with seizure problems.

But claiming ADA protection just because a dog makes you feel good??

Get real and grow up.

My dog is clean, well trained and a good canine citizen. Why can't I take him anywhere an "emotional support" dog is taken?

Seriously - a lot of these so-called support dogs are owner-trained, or poorly trained by fly-by-night groups.

You can take him into the New ORleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. On the way out of the fes a couple weeks ago I found a cue card that the ticket takers use, and it said very plainly that if someone claims the dog with them is a service animal, do not question them no matter what and to let them through.

Alas...I live in WV....to far from NO though some day I would love to visit :)

The wife and I have a Jack Russell.. We love him dearly and he is a pure joy most of the time.

I have no problem with seeing eye dogs, dogs trained for the deaf, even dogs trained to be with those with seizure problems.

Get real and grow up.

I see your point - it's a fuzzy line. IMO - all dogs are "emotional support" so, if you have a well trained well behaved dog - well, shouldn't it qualify?

I'm involved in a rescue for Australian Shepherds - I seriously like those buttheads. We recently took in a dog that was ...supposedly - an emotional support dog for an austistic child. It had a harness and a badge stating this. It was very hyper, untrained and not well socialized. The gist of it was the parents got it as a puppy from a "breeder" who said it would be a good "service dog". They registered it with some sort of internet agency - no formal training protocal or anything not to mention it was a PUPPY. Well they moved to CA, left the dog behind for a neighbor to care for and place. Nice dog, nice temperment - just needed training. But service dog? Give me a break. My own well behaved dogs (2 out of 4) would have been better qualified. Why can't I take them place eh?

Get real and grow up.

I see your point - it's a fuzzy line. IMO - all dogs are "emotional support" so, if you have a well trained well behaved dog - well, shouldn't it qualify?

I'm involved in a rescue for Australian Shepherds - I seriously like those buttheads. We recently took in a dog that was ...supposedly - an emotional support dog for an austistic child. It had a harness and a badge stating this. It was very hyper, untrained and not well socialized. The gist of it was the parents got it as a puppy from a "breeder" who said it would be a good "service dog". They registered it with some sort of internet agency - no formal training protocal or anything not to mention it was a PUPPY. Well they moved to CA, left the dog behind for a neighbor to care for and place. Nice dog, nice temperment - just needed training. But service dog? Give me a break. My own well behaved dogs (2 out of 4) would have been better qualified. Why can't I take them place eh?

I am not saying that you can't take them places.

I am saying that I, as a business owner, shouldn't be forced by the Government through the ADA be forced to allow pets in my place of business if I don't want them there.

I don't care if it's a restaurant, hotel, grocery store, or coffee shop. If I want to allow pets, I should be able to. If I don't want to allow pets, I should be able to ban them.

As I said, I understand dogs for the deaf, blind, seizure prone, even autistics. Those are not pets. They are working animals. They are trained for a specific function. But those pets that are used to make a person feel good?

I remember seeing an interview of a woman who had a miniature pony that she claimed was her support animal. She let it live in her house with her. Should a place of business be required to let a damned horse in because it made this woman feel good?

Get real and grow up.

I am saying that I, as a business owner, shouldn't be forced by the Government through the ADA be forced to allow pets in my place of business if I don't want them there.

I don't care if it's a restaurant, hotel, grocery store, or coffee shop. If I want to allow pets, I should be able to. If I don't want to allow pets, I should be able to ban them.

As I said, I understand dogs for the deaf, blind, seizure prone, even autistics. Those are not pets. They are working animals. They are trained for a specific function. But those pets that are used to make a person feel good?

I remember seeing an interview of a woman who had a miniature pony that she claimed was her support animal. She let it live in her house with her. Should a place of business be required to let a damned horse in because it made this woman feel good?

You know what...it's a tough line to draw. At what point does it transition from pet to service animal?

Personally - my views are probably extreme. But, I wouldn't dream of taking an untrained or unpredictable dog into a public situation - however, if I have a well trained approrpiate dog - why shouldn't I take it? People take their kids - untrained and trained - everywhere. Why not my dog ;)

But that's my personal view :)

You know what...it's a tough line to draw. At what point does it transition from pet to service animal?

Personally - my views are probably extreme. But, I wouldn't dream of taking an untrained or unpredictable dog into a public situation - however, if I have a well trained approrpiate dog - why shouldn't I take it? People take their kids - untrained and trained - everywhere. Why not my dog ;)

So your "want" to have your pet with you should override my "rights" as a business owner?

Suppose I am allergic to pet dander? Or I don't want your dog, cat, pot bellied pig, or whatever bringing fleas into my business.

Or are you going to be willing to pay an additional surcharge.. oh yeah that's right, under the ADA, I can't charge a surcharge for your "support animal". A claim that it is illegal for me even to ask you to verify.

So your "want" to have your pet with you should override my "rights" as a business owner?

Suppose I am allergic to pet dander? Or I don't want your dog, cat, pot bellied pig, or whatever bringing fleas into my business.

Or are you going to be willing to pay an additional surcharge.. oh yeah that's right, under the ADA, I can't charge a surcharge for your "support animal". A claim that it is illegal for me even to ask you to verify.

I have no problem with a surcharge :)

Also, I am not talking about a "support animal".

No, except for ADA issues - I don't think it overides your rights as a business owner. I just wish it were different. Europe is much much more dog friendly then the US for example.

No, except for ADA issues - I don't think it overides your rights as a business owner. I just wish it were different. Europe is much much more dog friendly then the US for example.

But the problem is, and I have seen it first hand, people claim their animals are support animals to get out of paying the surcharge and the dogs have fleas, the cats spray (Males, not fixed), and let them crap anywhere they want.

Yet, as a business owner, I have no options available to me. I can't even ask to see the paperwork saying that the animal is a service pet. That not only can get me sued by the customer, but by the Government also.

But the problem is, and I have seen it first hand, people claim their animals are support animals to get out of paying the surcharge and the dogs have fleas, the cats spray (Males, not fixed), and let them crap anywhere they want.

Yet, as a business owner, I have no options available to me. I can't even ask to see the paperwork saying that the animal is a service pet. That not only can get me sued by the customer, but by the Government also.

Whether a support dog or not is can have fleas, void anywhere etc that is the responsibility of the owner, agency who issues the dog or the caretaker of the animal.

I actually agree with you there - for example, the rescue dog we took in was supposed to be a "support animal" (nice dog but what a joke). There is no set standard for these sorts of "service dogs" and many can be owner "trained" (or proclaimed). It makes it bad for those with legitimate service animals orjust plain well trained dogs that want to travel with them.

See, I don't think that is right. I think that there needs to be a better more standardized way of recognizing service animals. In your case - even seeing the paperwork wouldn't mean much. The dog we took in had a badge "certifying" her - but she had absolutely no training, even in basic manners.

Whether a support dog or not is can have fleas, void anywhere etc that is the responsibility of the owner, agency who issues the dog or the caretaker of the animal.

And as the business owner, I am stuck with the expense of taking care of the flea problem after they leave and it is illegal, per the ADA, for me to go after them for the charges.

They aren't flea bites, they are manifestations of the biological imperative of canine nurturing. Don't worry about that bulls eye red mark. It's probably not limes disease.

Forum List

Back