🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Double-Speak at its Best

Did JFK cancel an invasion of Cuba in 1962 or did he decide to disallow that plan to ensue?

I wasn't aware of any invasion plans in 62. There was an embargo that could have potentially led to some sort of attack on Cuba, but since the embargo worked, no further action was called for. Trump just folded on his plan without gaining anything. I guess someone finally told him his chances for reelection would be hurt bad if he started a war.
Invasion plans were on the table if the blockade (conveniently called a quarantine so as to not become an act of war) did not succeed in getting the soviets to remove missiles from Cuba.

Check out this example of double-speak!

""I never called the strike against Iran "BACK," as people are incorrectly reporting, I just stopped it from going forward at this time!" Trump tweeted."

I'm pleased that Trump held his ground against the hawks--but it seems he just can't take a stand and hold it..for more than a minute!

Trump claims media got it wrong on Iran strike: 'I never called the strike' back

At the last minute somebody told him it would hurt his reelection chances if he started a war. Nobody believes the military didn't have an estimate of how many would die until the last minute.

I respect Trump for not authorizing an unnecessary attack

But why it was considered at all is puzzling

""I never called the strike against Iran "BACK," as people are incorrectly reporting, I just stopped it from going forward at this time!" Trump tweeted."

I'm pleased that Trump held his ground against the hawks--but it seems he just can't take a stand and hold it..for more than a minute!

Trump claims media got it wrong on Iran strike: 'I never called the strike' back

At the last minute somebody told him it would hurt his reelection chances if he started a war. Nobody believes the military didn't have an estimate of how many would die until the last minute.

Ya we NEVER fire back when shot at I mean RIGHT?

Ya we NEVER fire back when shot at I mean RIGHT?

Shooting down an unmanned spy drone possibly in enemy territory does not warrant killing people

Even Trump knew that

Unless, of course, the press got it right..and Trump is just engaging in his usual opaque revisionist editing after the fact. Everyone has an opinion--tailored to their bias.

Not that it matters..as i said, I'm pleased that he showed some restraint..whatever the actual timing. Trump acted Presidential in the face of a lot of encouragement to go to war.

It just seemed a silly way of expressing himself..a point that makes no point, if you will.

Yeah, the airmen had been sailing to their attack points. The airmen had their planes loaded with weaponry and up in the air. Both groups got notice the attack would start at 8:00, target coordinates programmed, the launch button unlocked. At 7:55 they all get radio, "The boss just pulled a funny. Don't drop or launch anything; come back home."

Sure, none would insist they were called "BACK". Just stopped.

That's all just risible. Sure, someone told The Donald reversing himself is showing weakness, probably some issues with his manliness or something. As if folks out there would forget the U.S. military's capability to destroy things, and then make the rubble bounce, dozens of times over. Trump should have been properly briefed before moving troops. The public display of disorganization - most likely the result of internal strife between competing factions in conjunction with a CinC who doesn't have the first clue what he's doing - is devastating enough. That Trump now feels compelled, apparently, to counter the doubts about manliness just compounds the devastating impression overall.
Did the planes come BACK or not without completing their mission?

But he deserves no respect for that. Tell you why: What had this drone to do close to, or even in, Iranian air space, in this volatile region and in an explosive situation? That's one thing, or two: First, gather data to facilitate an imminent attack, or figure out Iranian defense capabilities, in this case surface to air missiles. The latter case, provoking Iran to shoot that thing down, would also deliver a pretext for attack and the ensuing escalation. Reporting suggests that, finally, the military got through to Trump, explaining to him Iran did exactly what they wanted, and that they learned a lot analyzing the shot. No need to go overboard and drag the country into a war over that.

Okay, the above, is, of course, rank speculation, motivated by the fact that the "official" explanation (Trump got informed, at the last minute, bombing the country might result in Iranian casualties) is funny, at best.

He deserves no respect because he has no clue what he's doing, and for lying about the reasons for why he's doing what he's doing.

My issue with Trump is he appears to be provoking Iran into a conflict

We saw this in Vietnam and Iraq
Neither turned out well

True in the literal sense...You cannot recall that which you never launched.

Trump ran on a platform of nonintervention in foreign affairs
He criticized Bush extensively for Iraq

Now he is in love with the neocons

Trump only did this to get dems on record both on Iran and on deportation of democrat voters

Trump ran on a platform of nonintervention in foreign affairs
He criticized Bush extensively for Iraq

Now he is in love with the neocons

I seriously doubt he is a neocon. As I said, he doesn't know what he's doing. He's still operating as if he were dealing with a minor contractor he could both stiff AND coerce into a deal. He seems incapable of understanding that other nations don't react favorably to the like, and that within his own administration canny operators try to set off developments resulting in a war he doesn't want. He doesn't know how this war thing works, but he knows he won't get shiny summits, and he doesn't get to shine as the world's preeminent deal-maker. There won't be any love letters either.

If you want to hear something borderline positive about Trump - he seems to experience an instinctive revulsion, recoiling in the face of war. I hold, that's a good thing. If he could incorporate that into a coherent foreign policy, and get his administration to fall in line, that might even do some good. But he's just a demented goof, justifiably afraid of the vast expanse of the unknown he traipses into with his every step, and chances are, Bolton, Haspel, and Pompeo are going to win.

Forum List

Back