Dow Sinks 981 Points, as Wall St Ends 3rd Losing Week

I do not believe Biden nor any president ever does things that are purposely detrimental to the US. They are just idiots and make bad choices.
It's not clear what choices Biden should have made that would have changed the trajectory of the economy just as it is not clear what choices Trump should have made that would changed the outcome of Covid. When we look at the dissatisfaction voters have with a president, there is not a lot that president could have done to correct it given what was known at the time.

For some reason, voters seem to think presidents are able to see the future and take appropriate actions. However, foresight always lacks the accuracy of hindsight.

1651016124539.png

I did too!!

I am thinking the market will bottom out, then I'll buy in low, and then when the Republican win the House the Dow will BOOM and I will cash in. Remember the market Trump Bump when he was elected?
The age old pipe dream. When the market bottoms out, I will buy low and when it booms, I will cash in. The problem with this thinking is it goes against our instincts and biases.

When a stock is falling, we dump it. When a stock is rising, we buy it. We sell a company when the price is falling, because we are afraid of losing more money; we buy a stock when it is rising because we have a fear of missing out. To compound the problem, most investors are not experts at realizing when something is high or low "enough."

The age old pipe dream. When the market bottoms out, I will buy low and when it booms, I will cash in. The problem with this thinking is it goes against our instincts and biases.

When a stock is falling, we dump it. When a stock is rising, we buy it. We sell a company when the price is falling, because we are afraid of losing more money; we buy a stock when it is rising because we have a fear of missing out. To compound the problem, most investors are not experts at realizing when something is high or low "enough."
you are right Flopper but you are wasting you're time with all these imaginary experts. The truism that" the market timers hall of fame is an empty room" is above their comprehension level.

you are right Flopper but you are wasting you're time with all these imaginary experts. The truism that" the market timers hall of fame is an empty room" is above their comprehension level.
So true. When I first got into the market about 1965, I read a few books on options and technical analysis and decided trading was going to make me a fortune. After a year of trying to buy low and sell high, all I had to show for all my work was a ton of trade confirmation and a brokerage account worth about 30% less than when I started. This might have discourage some people but I believed I could make money in the market but not by trading.

I decide the best way to make money was to learn about the companies I was planning to invest in and picking those that were likely to do well. As long their stocks kept moving up, I would hold them. If they went down 25%, I would sell. After about 2 years, I found I was making a little money but not much. In fact, I wasn't doing as good as the market averages. So I decide I needed a new market philosophy because I was not very good at speculation.

I got hold a book. I think is was "How to Invest in Stocks". The general idea of the book was to buy stock in companies with a record of good earnings, good products, and a solid balance sheet. Using dollar cost averaging, I invested a fix amount every month in a portfolio of about a dozen companies regardless of market activity . I sold an investment only when the company's earnings were clearly under performing it's peers. I stopped watching the market and instead watched my companies. Generally I bought or sold a stock every 4 or 5 years. My portfolio did a little better than the market averages which is better than most investors do. This is generally how I invested for about 40 years. My average yearly return was over 10%/yr over that period.

When I retired, I gave up investing in individual stocks and moved my entire portfolio into a diversified group of 8 to 10 mutual funds. Since the fund portfolios included bonds, gold, international as well as domestic funds, the return was not as good as vesting in individual stocks but the volatility was relatively low. My mutual fund portfolio has changed very little in the last 15 years, I don't follow the market or even read financial news.

In short, I believe the key to investing successfully is taking a long term approach, learn about your investments, and plan on spending at few hours a week working on your portfolio.

If your investment plan is fun and an exciting, you're probably not going to be profitable in long run.

Last edited:
We agree on Biden, we disagree on Trump. Trump looked out for Trump.
Trump was a GREAT president for the US ----everything was better under Trump. And yes Trump looked out for trump--he wanted and I hope still wants his legacy to be that of the best president EVER and thusly worked tirelessly and much personal cost to help the US despite the swamp attacking and trying to destroy him for it then and still.

Our founders were much like Trump--CADS but in the end, they sacrificed to have their legacy the US be the best possible.

Trump was a GREAT president for the US ----everything was better under Trump. And yes Trump looked out for trump--he wanted and I hope still wants his legacy to be that of the best president EVER and thusly worked tirelessly and much personal cost to help the US despite the swamp attacking and trying to destroy him for it then and still.

Our founders were much like Trump--CADS but in the end, they sacrificed to have their legacy the US be the best possible.

Trump was an ok president for 3 years and one of the worst ever for the 4th. His actions after the 2020 election will ensure that his place in history will be as one of the worst presidents ever.

• Funny
Reactions: DBA
Trump was an ok president for 3 years and one of the worst ever for the 4th. His actions after the 2020 election will ensure that his place in history will be as one of the worst presidents ever.

Only to those that bought the Democrat's(MSM) bologna. Reasonable folks understand that COVID was a black swan event that caused a worldwide catastrophe. Did I mention it came out of a lab in China funded by a Democrat? Yeah, you guys are lost.

Trump is light years better than the current idiot in Chief. Wait, I almost forgot, you are the one that can pick the bottom of the market and you like these downturns.

Only to those that bought the Democrat's(MSM) bologna. Reasonable folks understand that COVID was a black swan event that caused a worldwide catastrophe. Did I mention it came out of a lab in China funded by a Democrat? Yeah, you guys are lost.

I do not blame Trump for COVID, but I do blame him for his terrible response to it. It was his first real crisis and he failed. And then there is what came after the election but that is for a different thread.

Trump is light years better than the current idiot in Chief. Wait, I almost forgot, you are the one that can pick the bottom of the market and you like these downturns.

Trump overall was better than Biden, this is true.

I cannot pick the bottom of the market, it is all a gamble. But it is easier to pick the bottom on an individual stock than it is the whole market. And one does not have to hit it at the exact bottom to still come out ahead.

I cannot pick the bottom of the market, it is all a gamble. But it is easier to pick the bottom on an individual stock than it is the whole market. And one does not have to hit it at the exact bottom to still come out ahead.

Pickings individual stocks will be the only way to go. If the Democrats retain control of our government, the market will not come back. We have reached the tipping point. Many actually believe the nonsense that money is free and that we can all have similar amounts.

I think he was a great showman but as a president, he was a disaster. The longer he was president the worse he got, terminating his presidency in the most disgraceful behavior of any president. However, he did prove that the republic can withstand any president no matter how bad.

If the Democrats retain control of our government, the market will not come back.

you have set yourself up well since we all know the markets will be back and most assume the GOP will take the House and maybe the Senate and then you can give your beloved party all the credit.

Well done

you have set yourself up well since we all know the markets will be back and most assume the GOP will take the House and maybe the Senate and then you can give your beloved party all the credit.

Well done
Pickings individual stocks will be the only way to go. If the Democrats retain control of our government, the market will not come back. We have reached the tipping point. Many actually believe the nonsense that money is free and that we can all have similar amounts.
Regardless who controls congress the country is returning to pre-Covid conditions. Most of the major Covid benefits which include federal extended unemployment and subsidy checks to families have ended. Other benefits such as federal payments for covid medical care, vaccinations, and testing is going down rapidly. Within in a year it will be a minor federal government expense, barring another major outbreak. The supply chain issue which is both a domestic and foreign problem will be with us this year and into 2023 and there is little government can do about. Finally, Ukraine military support expenses and boycott of Russian oil is supported by both parties, so no change there. However, Russia is not going to fight a10 year war as they did in Afghanistan. Putin does not have the desire for the Ukraine nor the patience for that. If it is not decided within a year, Putin will end it by blowing Ukraine off face of may or negotiate a settlement. And that will end the oil embargo.

Regardless who controls congress the country is returning to pre-Covid conditions. Most of the major Covid benefits which include federal extended unemployment and subsidy checks to families have ended. Other benefits such as federal payments for covid medical care, vaccinations, and testing is going down rapidly. Within in a year it will be a minor federal government expense, barring another major outbreak. The supply chain issue which is both a domestic and foreign problem will be with us this year and into 2023 and there is little government can do about. Finally, Ukraine military support expenses and boycott of Russian oil is supported by both parties, so no change there. However, Russia is not going to fight a10 year war as they did in Afghanistan. Putin does not have the desire for the Ukraine nor the patience for that. If it is not decided within a year, Putin will end it by blowing Ukraine off the face of may or negotiate a settlement. And that will end the oil embargo.

Politics of the days are really blips in investing. I like cheap stocks and a lot of them. It offers a better long term ROI generally. Right now I am rather 5 year out bullish on Nissan going from the single digits into the 30's but we'll see. With so many manufacturers chasing EV's and abandoning sedans, I think there is a lot of growth potential there especially since they were early into EV's with the development of the e-POWER system. They are probably a little ahead of the learning curve as the market is evolving.

Anyway, we'll see. I am about halfway to parking 5 grand in them. I will top off and just put it in my forget about em for awhile pile.

Politics of the days are really blips in investing. I like cheap stocks and a lot of them. It offers a better long term ROI generally. Right now I am rather 5 year out bullish on Nissan going from the single digits into the 30's but we'll see. With so many manufacturers chasing EV's and abandoning sedans, I think there is a lot of growth potential there especially since they were early into EV's with the development of the e-POWER system. They are probably a little ahead of the learning curve as the market is evolving.

Anyway, we'll see. I am about halfway to parking 5 grand in them. I will top off and just put it in my forget about em for awhile pile.
Poopeypants is dropping the stock market faster than his own pants for a Depends change.

Oh Stop it---Trump was a great president for 4 years. Very little with all that did was wrong---allowing the swamp to push their covid nonsense in any shape way or form was wrong---but he fought it and was able to fight the swamp some even on the covid scam.

Forum List

Back