Dr Martin Luther King saved this country

No there wasn't. Republicans freed the slaves and democrats have spent the next 200 plus years putting them back in ghetto slave pens.
Yet, Republicans cannot point to a single piece of legislation in the last 50 years where they helped blacks or any other minority

Hold on a minute....we just came off of eight long grueling years with King Negro at the helm...how’d that workout for his Nigerian “Brothas”?

The unemployment rate for blacks dropped 40% under the Great Obama

You can look it up......Casey Stengle

NEGATIVE...the overall unemployment rate dropped by 39% under Onegro...you're moving the goalposts now...you asked specifically for legislation that was intended to benefit blacks and minorities exclusively. That's exactly what you meant anyway.

The Great Obama helped ALL Americans
In terms of employment, more than every single Republican president since the BLS started tracking unemployment stats.

More than Eisenhower, who increased unemployment by 128%. More than Nixon, who increased it 62%. More than Ford, who increased it 36%. More than Reagan, who lowered it 28%. More than Bush Sr., who increased it 35%. And more than Bush Jr., who increased it by 86%.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

By the same token, not one single Democrat left office with unemployment higher than when they were sworn in. That's why even Trump confesses that the economy does better under Democratic leadership than under Republicans.

Yet, Republicans cannot point to a single piece of legislation in the last 50 years where they helped blacks or any other minority

Hold on a minute....we just came off of eight long grueling years with King Negro at the helm...how’d that workout for his Nigerian “Brothas”?

NEGATIVE...the overall unemployment rate dropped by 39% under Onegro...you're moving the goalposts now...you asked specifically for legislation that was intended to benefit blacks and minorities exclusively. That's exactly what you meant anyway.

In terms of employment, more than every single Republican president since the BLS started tracking unemployment stats.

More than Eisenhower, who increased unemployment by 128%. More than Nixon, who increased it 62%. More than Ford, who increased it 36%. More than Reagan, who lowered it 28%. More than Bush Sr., who increased it 35%. And more than Bush Jr., who increased it by 86%.

By the same token, not one single Democrat left office with unemployment higher than when they were sworn in. That's why even Trump confesses that the economy does better under Democratic leadership than under Republicans.

Republican George Bush came into office with 4.2 percent unemployment and left with 8.1 percent

Let's see if Trump can break the trend

Oh the benefits of inheriting a nation coming off of war and recession...huh?
Oh, and spending $10 trillion of other people’s money can really dress up those spread sheets...huh? Shit, come to think of it...my 14 year old could have looked like a rock star to morons with $10 trillion of others money...haha

There were Republicans in the south who also supported Jim Crow
Democrats from the north who were freedom riders

It was a north/south issue
No there wasn't. Republicans freed the slaves and democrats have spent the next 200 plus years putting them back in ghetto slave pens.
Really? They emancipated them and They are the only reason the civil rights law was passed. Perhaps you should actually read history instead of making shit up.

Again you are over 50 years ago

Civil Rights was a product of northern Democrats and a Democratic president

Which one? The first one, the Civil Rights Act of 1957 was signed by Dwight Eisenhower (Republican) after it was proposed by Herbert Brownnell (Republican). The Act marked the first occasion since Reconstruction that the federal government undertook significant legislative action to protect civil rights.

The second one, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was written by Senators Hubert Humphrey (D-MN) and Everett Dirksen (R-IL), and Representatives Emanuel Celler (D-NY), and William McCulloch (R-OH) and signed by Lyndon Johnson (Democrat). It would not have passed without 80% support of the Republicans in Congress.

Your attempt to re-write history to favor the Democrats fails.
It also would not have passed without the 95% of support from northern Democrats.

The north got it passed.

Regardless of political party, the '64 Civil Rights Act passed with 90% of the north supporting it compared to only 7% of the south. But at that time, 94% of the Republicans were in the north while 90% of the south was Democrat.

Oh the benefits of inheriting a nation coming off of war and recession...huh?
Oh, and spending $10 trillion of other people’s money can really dress up those spread sheets...huh? Shit, come to think of it...my 14 year old could have looked like a rock star to morons with $10 trillion of others money...haha
LOL

What mentally lazy excuses. :rolleyes:

We came out of a war and a recession early in Eisenhower's administration. Why no benefit then? We came out of a war and a recession early in Ford's administration. Why no benefit then?

On the flip side, we did not come out of a war or a recession early in LBJ's administration or Clinton's and both saw the unemployment rate go down under their respective watches.

I grew up in the 60's and saw most of the Civil Rights movement. Like most Americans, I was outraged at the assasination of Dr King. When we talked about giving him a national holiday ten years later, I looked at it as a form of appeasement for outraged blacks.....a way of giving them their own holiday to quiet them down.

In reading about the Civil Rights movement in subsequent years, I realized what a great American Dr King was. Black Americans came back after WWII to find that despite fighting and dying in defense of their country, they were still treated like lesser Americans. They found they were not allowed to mingle with whites, were not welcome in much of the country they had fought for. Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human. Some whites were outraged at the thought of eating with blacks, using the same restrooms, riding on public transportation with them.

As black Americans began to protest their treatment in their own country they were met with harsh resistance from both white militants and governments who swore to support inequal treatment. Blacks were denied the right to vote, to freely associate, rights to a fair trial. Those who resisted were met with terrorist attacks. Lynchings, bombings, arrest and assasination of their leaders.

Most of us faced with such horrific treatment in our own homeland would fight violence with violence. How would you react if someone spat on your child for trying to go to school?

When the courts did not protect blacks, armed conflict would seem a reasonable response. Dr King knew violence would only result in more violence against you. He modeled the Civil Rights movement around Gandhis peaceful resistance theories. By using cameras to document the treatment of peaceful protestors he saved this country from an armed violent protest that would have destroyed this country.

America returned from WWII as an economic and military superpower. But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower. By changing the way we treat our citizens, Dr King, more importantly, saved our soul. By forcing us to look in a mirror and see who we really are, he enabled us to become a truly great country.

On this Martin Luther King day I hope everyone can reflect on what a great American he was and how much better off we all are
And In one fell swoop Obama and the black caucus destroyed all his hard work.

Finally to the OP. MLK did not save this country. He merely accelerated what would have happened naturally and peacefully. History will judge whether that was good or bad.
It was not happening naturally. The 13 th amendment was 100 years before

As to "peacefully"
Peaceful black protest and rudimentary attempts at integration were met with terrorist attacks

Integration was not good?
The only hold outs were your party

rightwinger is right. The separation was north/south, not Republican/Democrat. Of the 12 Republicans in Congress in the south, not one voted for the Civil Rights Act...

bothcivilrights.jpeg

... whereas more Democrats in the north voted in favor of it than did Republicans.

And percentage-wise when broken down by north/south, a larger percentage of northern Democrats (95%) voted for it than did northern Republicans (85%); just like in the south where a larger percentage of southern Democrats (8%) voted for it than did southern Republicans (0%).
Sad you feel the need to rewrite history . own up to it. Democrats are the original american hate group

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Pretty good, black unemployment came down 39% during his administration.
Thats a lie it stayed the highest ever until this president

I grew up in the 60's and saw most of the Civil Rights movement. Like most Americans, I was outraged at the assasination of Dr King. When we talked about giving him a national holiday ten years later, I looked at it as a form of appeasement for outraged blacks.....a way of giving them their own holiday to quiet them down.

In reading about the Civil Rights movement in subsequent years, I realized what a great American Dr King was. Black Americans came back after WWII to find that despite fighting and dying in defense of their country, they were still treated like lesser Americans. They found they were not allowed to mingle with whites, were not welcome in much of the country they had fought for. Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human. Some whites were outraged at the thought of eating with blacks, using the same restrooms, riding on public transportation with them.

As black Americans began to protest their treatment in their own country they were met with harsh resistance from both white militants and governments who swore to support inequal treatment. Blacks were denied the right to vote, to freely associate, rights to a fair trial. Those who resisted were met with terrorist attacks. Lynchings, bombings, arrest and assasination of their leaders.

Most of us faced with such horrific treatment in our own homeland would fight violence with violence. How would you react if someone spat on your child for trying to go to school?

When the courts did not protect blacks, armed conflict would seem a reasonable response. Dr King knew violence would only result in more violence against you. He modeled the Civil Rights movement around Gandhis peaceful resistance theories. By using cameras to document the treatment of peaceful protestors he saved this country from an armed violent protest that would have destroyed this country.

America returned from WWII as an economic and military superpower. But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower. By changing the way we treat our citizens, Dr King, more importantly, saved our soul. By forcing us to look in a mirror and see who we really are, he enabled us to become a truly great country.

On this Martin Luther King day I hope everyone can reflect on what a great American he was and how much better off we all are
The election of the Great Obama was a cause of celebration for all blacks.
Most will tell you it was their proudest day

MLK would have been the proudest

Really? They emancipated them and They are the only reason the civil rights law was passed. Perhaps you should actually read history instead of making shit up.

So mass genocide by abortion and poverty is your idea of helping Americans? Cause they are Americans not just a color.

Abortion is the law of the land.....has nothing to do with Dr Martin Luther King

Roe v Wade was after he had been killed.......conservative court
But the only things you democrats have done for anyone is baby killing and poverty... still the party of slavery and racism.
A conservative court approved Roe V Wade
It wasnt conservative if it gave away state rights .

So mass genocide by abortion and poverty is your idea of helping Americans? Cause they are Americans not just a color.

Abortion is the law of the land.....has nothing to do with Dr Martin Luther King

But the only things you democrats have done for anyone is baby killing and poverty... still the party of slavery and racism.

A conservative court overwhelmingly supported it 7-2

A conservative court overwhelmingly supported it
No it didnt

No it didnt

7-2

No it didnt

7-2
Nope not conservative.

And he set race relations back to the 60's.

Finally to the OP. MLK did not save this country. He merely accelerated what would have happened naturally and peacefully. History will judge whether that was good or bad.

As to "peacefully"
Peaceful black protest and rudimentary attempts at integration were met with terrorist attacks

where I lived, and it was several different places in the USA, integration was happening naturally. and yes, it was the right and good thing to happen. No one condones racism, that's why you are hypocritical when you express support for racist groups like BLM, NAACP, BET, and especially the black congressional caucus. Obama was a blatant racist and yet you idolize him.

Wake up fool, life is not all about political party. its never that simple, except to simpletons.

As to "peacefully"

It was a north/south is
+sue
nope, it was strictly on party lines. northern democrats were slave owners. there were more slaves in Illinois than in Alabama. the northern democrats also enslaved thousands of white irish. the dems were the slave traders and paid black slavers in Africa for their captives.

As to "peacefully"

right, the civil rights act of 1965 was more than 50 years ago. and dems have been trying to ignore it ever since.

And he set race relations back to the 60's.

Only from the point where racists who had been in hiding from the 70 s came out of the woodwork once a black man was elected

The Great Obama received no cooperation from Conservatives

As to "peacefully"

right, the civil rights act of 1965 was more than 50 years ago. and dems have been trying to ignore it ever since.

They have not only supported it. They extended civil rights through affirmative action, women's rights and gay rights

Forum List

Back