Dumping oil/grease. Burger king Stupidity.

I'm against too many government regulations, but this is why we need a reasonable amount of them. How many big companies are doing this everyday?

I know they don't do it where I live. Too many people are eco friendly and have cell phones. Plus...whatever goes down that grate winds up in the pacific ocean..since we ARE on the ocean. When it rains the first time here after many months of no rain, warnings always go out to stay clear of the ocean and not to surf or swim due to the sediments. Hell, even cig butts tossed in the grates go straight to the harbor.

But big cities? Oh, you bet they are doing it. What is stupid though, is that many people BUY that used grease and oil.

I know they don't do it where I live. Too many people are eco friendly and have cell phones. Plus...whatever goes down that grate winds up in the pacific ocean..since we ARE on the ocean. When it rains the first time here after many months of no rain, warnings always go out to stay clear of the ocean and not to surf or swim due to the sediments. Hell, even cig butts tossed in the grates go straight to the harbor.

But big cities? Oh, you bet they are doing it. What is stupid though, is that many people BUY that used grease and oil.
I just saw an article not too long ago about a company - I think they were in the Bay area - who drive around and collect used cooking oil from restaurants. They even paid for some of the better quality oil. They refine it into bio-diesel which they sell to the oil refineries. San Francisco's entire bus line runs on a 20% mix of the stuff - which is why I always got hungry when a bus went by... If I remember right, Sacramento's public transit also uses a 10% mix. It turns out that the stuff burns just as well as regular diesel, and costs a little less per gallon.

I know! Which is why it boggles the mind that restaurants don't SELL it instead of polluting our waters.

I know! Which is why it boggles the mind that restaurants don't SELL it instead of polluting our waters.

Because these fast food joints are franchises. It's probably not some corporate guy making these decisions. It's some guy who worked his way up from flipping burgers to management.

Because these fast food joints are franchises. It's probably not some corporate guy making these decisions. It's some guy who worked his way up from flipping burgers to management.
Sadly, you're right. It would take a corporate decision to make that cooking oil available for collection franchise-wide. And if corporate doesn't see a direct benefit then they simply dump it where they can.

I just saw an article not too long ago about a company - I think they were in the Bay area - who drive around and collect used cooking oil from restaurants. They even paid for some of the better quality oil. They refine it into bio-diesel which they sell to the oil refineries. San Francisco's entire bus line runs on a 20% mix of the stuff - which is why I always got hungry when a bus went by... If I remember right, Sacramento's public transit also uses a 10% mix. It turns out that the stuff burns just as well as regular diesel, and costs a little less per gallon.
Companies buy used cooking oil. Scavengers will steal it. It's really stupid to dump it. Like throwing money away.

I'm against too many government regulations, but this is why we need a reasonable amount of them. How many big companies are doing this everyday?

And imagine what businesses would be doing if there weren't any regulations at all.

I tried to find any findings of negative environmental impact of cooking oil/used grease and was unable to find any; most say it does no harm to the environment.

That said, it does cause a lot of build up in the pipes which is a bad thing. Burger King should have to pay to have the "soap" as they call it treated in the city pipes.

There was an episode of MythBusters, where they ran a diesel car entirely on 100% used oil.

And I have little doubt that this employee was instructed to dump that oil down the drain. And it is highly illegal.

There was an episode of MythBusters, where they ran a diesel car entirely on 100% used oil.

And I have little doubt that this employee was instructed to dump that oil down the drain. And it is highly illegal.
Hard to say exactly, isn't it? BK so far hasn't responded publicly that I'm aware.

Depends on the oil. Many chains fry in shortening, which is not well-suited for burning as biodiesel.

Forum List

Back