Earth Day 2013

Holy crap, is that really true!!?? I'm going to have to research that. Horrendous.

Okay...I looked it up. Yep, he killed Holly and left her composting! Apparently other Earth Day organizers dispute his claim to have started Earth Day. Well, of course they would.

Thanks for the intriguing bit of information, tinydancer. I'll have to read more about it.

And don't get me wrong. I'm a major conservationist. I want my children and grandchildren to celebrate "Earth Day".. I truly do. We should for heaven's sake.

I just don't want Ira associated with it. He was an abuser and punished her so horribly.

Easy answer: Don't associate him with it then.

If you really feel uncomfortable about it, celebrate Earth Day a week later. Or call it something else. Or, you can just choose not to "associate" it with him in your head.

Ira Einhorn is only "associated" with Earth Day by people who want to damage Earth Day with that "association", whether or not he actually had anything to do with the "founding" of it.

Not for me. Well I love murder; that doesn't sound good does it?:eusa_angel: I just find it so hard to celebrate one day knowing what I know about him.

But I adore the day....

I have two blaze roses a couple of rugosas and this tea rose called blue girl. All in my living room..

Most men would not put put up with this; thank the good lord my husband does. You can't move in my house now. I've been playing in the dirt. I got heavenly blues all over the place.

But I cannot help but associate Holly and Ira together. I'm so sorry. Earth Day will always be Holly's day to me.

Is that wrong?

Honest question.

I don't think it's "wrong" at all.

I don't have any particular devotion to Earth Day, and even if I did, it wouldn't preclude you from being entitled to your own opinion.

It's hard for me to understand where you're coming from, though - simply because I don't see anyone associate Earth Day with Ira Einhorn other than people politically opposed to Earth Day.

Is that wrong?

Honest question.

I don't have any particular devotion to Earth Day, and even if I did, it wouldn't preclude you from being entitled to your own opinion.

It's hard for me to understand where you're coming from, though - simply because I don't see anyone associate Earth Day with Ira Einhorn other than people politically opposed to Earth Day.

Ira kind of had a hand in starting Earth Day.

So the preliminary association of Earth Day with Ira emanated from Ira.

Is that wrong?

Honest question.

Sure, the preliminary association between Ira and Earth Day started with Ira.

The continuing association has been maintained for the last 25 years by people who wish to damage the image of Earth Day, for whatever reason.

The point that I'm trying to make is that I can't for the life of me understand what that reason that is.

I can understand being against environmental regulations. I can understand fighting the environmental lobby. I can understand wanting to drill for oil everywhere. Those to me are valid opinions for people to have, even if I don't agree with them.

But I can't understand hating Earth Day. It's the most benign "Day" of them all.

Did I say that I was going to take a shit in a Catholic Church? Of course not.

I used it as a comparison. As in: If I did this, I would be as immature as Predfan is being.

I notice that you STILL haven't shown how my protest is "immature". You think it is because YOU say so?

Yes.

"Immaturity" is a value judgement. In other words, my opinion. No "proof" is required.

The fact that you seem to think that bragging about littering is "mature" is baffling to me.

I'm bragging about defiance knucklehead. The fact that you persist on labeling it immature doesn't baffle me, it's because you you can't admit when you're wrong.

I'm going to celebrate Earth Day 2013 by eating bacon, beef, veal, and fattened goose liver. Then I'm going to drink a 36 oz Big Gulp and throw the empty plastic cup into the river, all the while driving my V-8 work truck all around to do this.

Then I'll run my sprinkler system for several hours tonight, and keep every light on in the house until late at night. Happy Earth Day sheeple!
You must not be planning on celebrating many more Earth Days.

That will kill me how?

I notice that you STILL haven't shown how my protest is "immature". You think it is because YOU say so?

Yes.

"Immaturity" is a value judgement. In other words, my opinion. No "proof" is required.

The fact that you seem to think that bragging about littering is "mature" is baffling to me.

I'm bragging about defiance knucklehead. The fact that you persist on labeling it immature doesn't baffle me, it's because you you can't admit when you're wrong.

"Defiance" of what? Littering laws?

What do you think your "act of protest" will accomplish?

Yes.

An act of defiance against those who believe in the lie that we are harming the planet and would control others actions.

I'm going to celebrate Earth Day 2013 by eating bacon, beef, veal, and fattened goose liver. Then I'm going to drink a 36 oz Big Gulp and throw the empty plastic cup into the river, all the while driving my V-8 work truck all around to do this.

Then I'll run my sprinkler system for several hours tonight, and keep every light on in the house until late at night. Happy Earth Day sheeple!

Yeah?

So...are we supposed to care?

Why?

An act of defiance against those who believe in the lie that we are harming the planet and would control others actions.

Do you think humanity causes no harm to other life on Earth? Or do you think the lie is harm to the planet itself, rather than the life upon it?

I'm just not sure exactly what you think is a lie.

FYI, I don't give a rat's ass about Earth Day. I've never celebrated it. I'm not particularly environmentally conscious.

Is that wrong?

Honest question.

I for one have never heard that association until now, although I do remember Earth Day from the first one in 1970. And I've heard of Ira Einhorn and his gruesome murder and the fugitiving in France. Just never heard them connected before.

But even if IE did invent Earth Day -- so what? Wtf would a murder have to do with an utterly unrelated act seven years prior? Pretty shoddy fallacy of association, innit?

I mean, should people not keep dogs because Hitler loved his Shepherd? :cuckoo:

This may be the most inane thread I've ever read.

I for one have never heard that association until now, although I do remember Earth Day from the first one in 1970. And I've heard of Ira Einhorn and his gruesome murder and the fugitiving in France. Just never heard them connected before.
But even if IE did invent Earth Day -- so what? Wtf would a murder have to do with an utterly unrelated act seven years prior? Pretty shoddy fallacy of association, innit?

Thanks, Pogo. I thought I was the only one who had never heard that Einhorn was connected to Earth Day. I remember watching a documentary about his crime, and I remember the news reports when he was found in and eventually extradited from France. But, until this thread, I never heard or read anything that connected him to Earth Day.

Your analogy is astute: people should not dismiss the concept of Earth Day just because of some long ago and tenuous connection it has to Einhorn any more than people should not have German Shepherds just because Hitler had one.

Last edited:

Thanks, Pogo. I thought I was the only one who had never heard that Einhorn was connected to Earth Day. I remember watching a documentary about his crime, and I remember the news reports when he was found in and eventually extradited from France. But, until this thread, I never heard or read anything that connected him to Earth Day.

Your analogy is astute: people should not dismiss the concept of Earth Day just because of some long ago and tenuous connection it has to Einhorn any more than people should not have German Shepherds just because Hitler had one.

I would guess that many people have never even heard of Einhorn, let alone connect him to Earth Day. I either had never heard of him or had forgotten about him before reading this thread. :p

I dunno. If I were to discover that Hitler invented "Arbor Day" I might not celebrate that day either.

I dunno. If I were to discover that Hitler invented "Arbor Day" I might not celebrate that day either.

A sex doll? I'm sure you don't have one, but if you did, would you throw it out if you knew the idea originated with Hitler?

Hitler invented the concept of the plastic girl. Again, not a joke. Hitler wanted his soldiers to be able to have their needs met without getting involved with foreign women. So... he ordered plastic femmes be created for them.
5 Bizarre Facts About Hitler

images

A sex doll? I'm sure you don't have one, but if you did, would you throw it out if you knew the idea originated with Hitler?

Hitler invented the concept of the plastic girl. Again, not a joke. Hitler wanted his soldiers to be able to have their needs met without getting involved with foreign women. So... he ordered plastic femmes be created for them.

images

I have no blow up doll.

My wife doesn't let me date.

images

So Hitler developed not only the Volkswagen but the sex doll too? Who knew. Well there goes two more pastimes :confused:

(Not for me of course-- Ich habe kein Volkswagen...)

But the latter have been very useful for using the HOV lanes I must say. :coffee:

Yes.

Acts of defiance don't have to accomplish big things. My act of defiance only accomplish's one thing, and that is the self-satisfaction that I'm not some mindless sheep that follows every foolish notion perpetuated by an oppressive government, it's lapdog media, and corrupt institutions.

I notice how you isolated littering and ignore the rest. While I am old enough to remember the trash heaps along the sides of the major highways, it's only a small part of the defiance and I actually don't normally litter.

Yeah?

So...are we supposed to care?

Why?

No, you don't have to care at all. Go stink up someone else's thread.

Forum List

Back