Electricity Prices Soar As Government Regulation Surges

Of course energy prices are higher. They have been going up by 5% to 10% a year in a lot of places. And were doing so long before the alternatives started being put in place. However, here in Oregon, where most of the power is hydro, with wind providing about 10%, we have lower prices for electricity than most states in the nation.

As for our oil boom, it will be gone in a few years, and most of that new oil will go to South America or Asia. And you cost for gasoline will not come down significantly at all. Because it is the world market that determines the price for petroleum now, not the local US market.

The very fact that the US can reduce its reliance on buying oil from the midde eastern countries that hate us should be incentive enough to become energy independant.

It is a bit of a contradiction to say "it will be gone in a few years" and then say "and most of that new oil will go to South America or Asia." don't you think?

And, exporting oil or any other product is a big plus to the US economy, and lowers our balance of payments as well as our deficit. Those are all good things!

LOL. You are amusing. Resources that are very finite go through a regular boom, bust cycle. Right now, with oil at $100 a barrel, we can afford to frack the shale oil and make money off of it. And when that is gone, and the price of oil goes up to $200 or $300 a barrel, we can afford to recover oil from other sources. However, will be consumer be able to afford to use it?

We have many, many ghost towns in the West that are the result of boom-bust cylcles in natural resources, and oil is no differant.

Tell us finite oil is. Libs have been saying we'll run out of it in 75 years. That was 40 years ago. Today we have more in the ground than ever.
And if oil goes to 200/barrel and consumers cannot afford it, how much of it will be produced? Trick question I know because being a lib you're bad at both math and econ.

My electric bill has remained the same for about the last five years

Fuel oil has gone way up, but I switched to natural gas. My house in Maryland is all electric and the prices are very reasonable

Conservative sound-bites vs actual testimony.
Hmmm...the usual suspects and their ad hominems.

My electric bill has remained the same for about the last five years

Fuel oil has gone way up, but I switched to natural gas. My house in Maryland is all electric and the prices are very reasonable

That's nice.
Now STFU.

I just flash my liberal card and I get low cost energy

What do you pay?

Last edited:
The partisan hacks at investors.com (and CNS News) did not compare electricity prices to other commodity prices to justify their bogus "surge" claim. Nor did they establish regulations as a cause of higher electricity prices. They just claimed regulations were the cause.

But check the prices of other things like milk, eggs, bread, and so forth here: Top Picks (Most Requested Statistics) : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

You will see electricity price increases have not outpaced these other goods. So the premise of this topic is false.

You will find electricity prices have actually risen in pace with...inflation: CPI Inflation Calculator

The electricity industry itself says the same thing:
As with virtually all other goods, the price of electricity has risen over the years. Underlying factors affecting this upward trend include higher prices for generating fuel (e.g. coal), the need for new infrastructure, and environmental concerns. Compared to other goods, the increase in electricity prices has been relatively low.

AEP.com - Rising Cost Of Electricity

So much for the "surge".

Apparently this all went unnoticed by "the sharp-eyed folks at CNSNews.com". :lmao:

Last edited:
Here are the reasons the electricity industry gives for rising electricity prices:

Infrastructure:
One factor affecting electricity prices is aging infrastructure that will need to be replaced or updated to accommodate the integration of renewables to the electric grid.

Regulations:
Another determining factor in electric rates will be the generation mix used in future years. The uncertainty of today’s regulatory environment makes it difficult to predict future capacity planning decisions.

The "Dash to Gas":
Natural gas plants are faster to site and build than other base load generation. Realizing that natural gas also is less carbon intensive than coal, many companies are shifting this direction. However, even though the plants are relatively easy to site and cheap to build, natural gas, as a fuel source, has a history of price volatility.

Wall Street:
The cost of capital has also risen as utility bond ratings have declined over time.

Growing population/demand:
Despite short-term decreases due to weak economic conditions, rates of demand are going projected to continue to rise over time, requiring capacity additions in the future which will be more costly that existing generation assets.

But again, "Compared to other goods, the increase in electricity prices has been relatively low."

Here are the reasons the electricity industry gives for rising electricity prices:

Infrastructure:
One factor affecting electricity prices is aging infrastructure that will need to be replaced or updated to accommodate the integration of renewables to the electric grid.

Regulations:
Another determining factor in electric rates will be the generation mix used in future years. The uncertainty of today’s regulatory environment makes it difficult to predict future capacity planning decisions.

The "Dash to Gas":

Wall Street:
The cost of capital has also risen as utility bond ratings have declined over time.

Growing population/demand:
Despite short-term decreases due to weak economic conditions, rates of demand are going projected to continue to rise over time, requiring capacity additions in the future which will be more costly that existing generation assets.

But again, "Compared to other goods, the increase in electricity prices has been relatively low."

Obama's environmental regulations underlie everyone one of those reasons. Prices increases have remained relatively reasonable only because of the fracking revolution. They would have declined without Obama's regulatory assault.

This is another reason Romney lost in 2012. There should have been advertisements of this all over the place just like the democrats did with Rodney's sound bite about 47 percent will always vote democrat because of entitlements.

You know what -- I never even saw that ad or whatever it was. Heard about it, never saw it directly. What I did see was Romney lying about Jeep moving to China.
Awk-ward.

Sorry, but there is no "surge". We have not seen "prices soar". You failed.

My electric bill is pretty much the same from month to month. It hasn't changed much at all in the past five years.

Nope, neither has mine.

But hey, if Finger-boy says the sky is falling he must know better than we.

I'm not the one saying it, dipshit.

Somebody hacked your account to create this thread?

Who else would want that avatar? Wait -- don't tell me, lemme guess.... "the sharp eyed folks at CNS News"?

Attachments

• $Screen Shot 2013-12-27 at 12.10.47 PM.jpg
    $Screen Shot 2013-12-27 at 12.10.47 PM.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 79
FTR, my electricity prices have fallen by ~25% over the past five years.

Many of my bills have gone up in the last five years.......electricity is not one of them

And some disrespectful people had the nerve to call the President a LIAR, when he kept his promise about electricity rates sky-rocketing!!! The nerve of those bastards!!!!!!!

This is another reason Romney lost in 2012. There should have been advertisements of this all over the place just like the democrats did with Rodney's sound bite about 47 percent will always vote democrat because of entitlements.

You know what -- I never even saw that ad or whatever it was. Heard about it, never saw it directly. What I did see was Romney lying about Jeep moving to China.
Awk-ward.

Do you mean the Factcheck "Lie of the Year" that wasn't even a lie?

Here's PolitiFact's original "fact check" on the matter:

[Mitt Romney] Says Barack Obama "sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China" at the cost of American jobs.

Now here's what the Reuters reported earlier this week:

Fiat (FIA.MI) and its U.S. unit Chrysler expect to roll out at least 100,000 Jeeps in China when production starts in 2014 as they seek to catch up with rivals in the world's biggest car market. ...

"We expect production of around 100,000 Jeeps per year which is expandable to 200,000," [Chrysler CEO Sergio] Marchionne, who is also CEO of Chrysler, said on the sidelines of a conference, adding production could start in 18 months.

So, yes, it's confirmed that Jeep will be producing cars in China. According to the Toledo Blade last November:

By expanding Jeep production to China, instead of increasing Jeep production in the U.S., it's safe to say Jeep (or more properly, Fiat, which now owns Chrysler) is choosing to create more jobs overseas instead of in America where taxpayers bailed the company out.

Who knows, Obama may prove Factcheck wrong again. NAH!

Forum List

Back