Electricity Prices Soar As Government Regulation Surges

Gas fired electric generation is the fad, since NG is so much cheaper to use than coal. The COOP I am tied into has not gone up but once in 12 years.

The libturds have denied that Obama's regulatory assault on the energy sector will have any affect on energy prices. The empirical evidence indicates something else.

Electricity Prices Soar As Government Regulation Proliferates - Investors.com

The Cost Of Green: In the midst of an unparalleled energy boom, U.S. electricity prices have skyrocketed to new highs. This paradox is a result not of the free market, but of runaway government "green" regulation.

Unnoticed by virtually everyone except the sharp-eyed folks at CNSNews.com, new federal data show that electricity prices have never been higher.

In November, the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Electricity Price Index hit 202.284, an all-time record and nearly 20% higher than just six years ago.

This might strike some as strange, given the private-sector shale-fracking boom going on in the Midwest, Northeast and Texas, which has led to soaring new domestic supplies of natural gas and oil.

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, as recently as 2008 the U.S. produced 2.1 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day. Today, it's 12.3 billion cubic feet and growing fast — truly astounding growth.

Meanwhile, the U.S. is on the verge of producing more oil than it ever has, and domestic sources now outstrip foreign ones. Thanks to fracking, more's on the way.

But as energy booms, electricity prices are going up.

Is it just another case of greedy energy companies and utilities sticking it to consumers? Hardly. You might hear that from your local Democratic politician, but it ain't so.​

Oh, its you.....

CNS is complete bullshit and demonstratably everytime. You really should go straight to the source instead of relying on complete crap reporting.

This is the consumer price estimates since like 1970.

You can find it on the EIA website at.

http://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/annual/showtext.cfm?t=ptb0303

The increase and decrease in electricity prices pretty much follow all energy prices, even oil and gasoline.

The change occured in 2000 when China entered the world markets. The demand for fuel began to rise steadily and China demanded more and more energy.

So, guess what happens in a free market of supply and demand? No? Not sure?

Oh, prices go up, ceterus paribus.

"But as energy booms, electricity prices are going up"

Of course, you moron. Energy booms because demand drives production to higher levels of output.

(sorry about the "moron" comment. But I find you to be intellectually offensive.)

Last edited:
Gas fired electric generation is the fad, since NG is so much cheaper to use than coal. The COOP I am tied into has not gone up but once in 12 years.

I send $2,500 - $3K/month to my co-op. Their rates have doubled over the last 25 years. Around that time, they bought up about 60 acres with the intention of installing a gas-fired peaker plant. They turned tail and changed their minds. Chicken shit bastards In the meantime, I heard that acreage has become a private hunting reserve for the board members. They're a bunch of fucking morons.

U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Seems to be moving sideways for the past 6 years.

I'm not the best at charts, but it looks like the price of residential electricity went from 7.5 cents KWH in 2001 to 10 cents KWH in 2008. That is a 25% increase in 7 years. It then went from 10 cents KWH in 2008 to 12.5 cents KWH in 2013. That is a 25% increase in 5 years.

That sure doesn't look like moving sideways to me.

The libturds have denied that Obama's regulatory assault on the energy sector will have any affect on energy prices. The empirical evidence indicates something else.

Electricity Prices Soar As Government Regulation Proliferates - Investors.com

The Cost Of Green: In the midst of an unparalleled energy boom, U.S. electricity prices have skyrocketed to new highs. This paradox is a result not of the free market, but of runaway government "green" regulation.

Unnoticed by virtually everyone except the sharp-eyed folks at CNSNews.com, new federal data show that electricity prices have never been higher.

In November, the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Electricity Price Index hit 202.284, an all-time record and nearly 20% higher than just six years ago.

This might strike some as strange, given the private-sector shale-fracking boom going on in the Midwest, Northeast and Texas, which has led to soaring new domestic supplies of natural gas and oil.

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, as recently as 2008 the U.S. produced 2.1 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day. Today, it's 12.3 billion cubic feet and growing fast — truly astounding growth.

Meanwhile, the U.S. is on the verge of producing more oil than it ever has, and domestic sources now outstrip foreign ones. Thanks to fracking, more's on the way.

But as energy booms, electricity prices are going up.

Is it just another case of greedy energy companies and utilities sticking it to consumers? Hardly. You might hear that from your local Democratic politician, but it ain't so.​

The price of gasoline jumped 10-15 cents overnight here.

U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Seems to be moving sideways for the past 6 years.

I'm not the best at charts, but it looks like the price of residential electricity went from 7.5 cents KWH in 2001 to 10 cents KWH in 2008. That is a 25% increase in 7 years. It then went from 10 cents KWH in 2008 to 12.5 cents KWH in 2013. That is a 25% increase in 5 years.

That sure doesn't look like moving sideways to me.

The blue line is for all of the US. It is 10 cents today, same as it was in 2008.

Energy prices soared from 01 to 08. Since generators pass on input costs over time, its not surprising electricity prices would also rise when energy prices rise. Since then, it appears electricity prices have been flat.

Forum List

Back