Elizabeth Warren: 'End Electoral College'

Why should a vote in Montana be worth more than a vote in Pennsylvania?

The nations elections should not be decided by America's urban centres, run by party hacks.
They are the ones who make this nation great, rural farmers live off the subsidies paid by the urban hard working, open minded diverse citizens....the fucks who are sitting in their farm receiving our money don't like us minorities and whites who are open minded.
disclaimer: not all farmers but most.

That is perhaps the most bigoted, racist and self centered BS I have read in a long time.

You are a racist, pure and simple, can't get anymore evident than what you just posted. The majority of Americans are not racist. In fact less than 6% of non-Hispanic whites are racist according to recent evidence. So again you lie and again you misrepresent the facts by claiming most farmers are racist.

Maybe one day you will mature and see what is really going on instead of your stereotyping people.

I agree. I always thought america was a democracy...but when Bush Jr got elected we the citizens of the world were shocked. And that's when we found about the electoral college. It really gives the power to the crazy minority and that's why we have trump and his crazies....the US should join the democratic countries and abolish the EC.
We are a Republic, not a Democracy.

Won't happen.
Thread is another exercise in futility.
I have a feeling if the shoe were on the other foot, Republicans would be looking at this differently.

I have a feeling you only think that because YOUR principles are selfish and subjective, and you assume everyone is like you. Don't project.
Okay, maybe I'm wrong.

More than maybe. It's not like Democrats haven't won in recent history, and I have yet to see concerted efforts among Republicans to invalidate and delegitimize those elections. Disagree with and oppose policies, sure. Delegitimize, no.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren said Monday that she fully supports abolishing the Electoral College and moving toward a national vote, the first time the 2020 presidential candidate has publicly taken the stance.

“My view is that every vote matters,” the Massachusetts Democrat said to roaring applause at her CNN presidential town hall at Jackson State University in Mississippi. “And the way we can make that happen is that we can have national voting, and that means get rid of the Electoral College.”

More: Elizabeth Warren Calls For Getting Rid Of The Electoral College

Amen! I couldn't agree more! Elections should be about people - not acreage! BTW, the rest of the link is worth reading.
Warren has clearly never read the Federalist Papers, and neither have you.

I agree. I always thought america was a democracy...but when Bush Jr got elected we the citizens of the world were shocked. And that's when we found about the electoral college. It really gives the power to the crazy minority and that's why we have trump and his crazies....the US should join the democratic countries and abolish the EC.

We are more of a democracy than the founders originally intended.

We are more of a democracy than the founders originally intended.

And that's the source of many of our current problems.

Yes let's have Mexifornia elect Democratic Presidents for the next 50 years. That is the Liberal wet dream of abolishing the E.C.
Why are you against the rule of the majority ?
We used that method in the Senate, Congress supreme court the X factor you name it.
And btw California is the biggest economy and best state of the union, Alabama, Mississippi, north Dakota, etc....are is less states.
Um...retard?

We do not elect the Supreme Court by popular vote.

As for the Senate, you may have noticed that each state gets two Senators regardless of population.

You're welcome.

It was also apparently weird that Florida had to certify its election returns by the deadline set by Florida law. Shocking!
florida Law demands a full recount. Republicans dragged that out as long as possible and only THEN demanded that the deadline be held. There was no pressing need to enforce that deadline. There WAS a pressing need to follow the law and do the full recount.

So we can all be on the same page...

The first recount requested by the Democrats was for only 4 Counties, not the entire state. (Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and Volusia).

After countless failures, the Florida Supreme Court gave Al Gore a statewide recount he didn't even ask for.

At the same time, the Florida Legislature announced that if the recount was not completed by a certain date, (I forget the date). They would
pick who got Florida's 25 electoral votes, in accordance with Florida Law, so as not to deprive the State of having their citizens not participate
in the election process.

The full recount began and it was SCOTUS that ordered a "stay." (Halting all voting)

SCOTUS had two rulings. The first was a 5-4 ruling that it was a violation of the equal protection clause, because Counties were not counting
the same way. The second ruling was, because of the Florida Legislature following Florida Law, there would not be enough time to complete
the hand recount and the counting had to stop.

In the end the State's newspapers sued under the Florida Sunshine Laws and they conducted their own recount and W won that one also.
Wrong. The first recount was a statewide mandatory machine recount, triggered because the election margin was less than half of one percent.

The Florida legislation did not state they would certify the election by a certain date. The person who said that was the Secretary of State of Florida who was appointed by George Bush’s brother. And it was her discretion whether or not to accept late filings. The law at the time read that returns had to be filed within a week after the election, otherwise “such returns may be ignored.” She decided securing her governor’s brother’s election was more important than an accurate count of the votes.

The Supreme Court ruling was a joke, as evidenced by them declaring that would be a “one-time” ruling, never to set any sort of precedence. And basically invalidated any form of recount in any state where multiple methods of voting are used; which is most states.

The first recount demanded by the Democrats was for four counties.

The State Legislature was in its rights to determine the outcome.

Here...read...What if the Supreme Court Had Turned Down Bush v. Gore? (Redux)

If there was ever a time for the Electoral college to prove it's worth it was the 2016 election....

But all they proved was their worthlessness!

It's time to abolish the EC!
What are you talking about? The electoral college worked as it was supposed to
and saved this great nation of ours.
Oh? It gave us Bush and Trump. That said, I'm not in favor of abolishing it.

There's a reason that Republicans always point out that we are a Republic and not a democracy. They are referring to the fact that in a "true" democracy that the popular vote is the end all and be all and they know that they don't have the popular vote.

So do we do away with the electoral college? I think that would be mistake. What we DO...is VOTE...in big numbers. Don't let voter suppression efforts stop us.

They can only win (steal) elections when they are close. We need to get out and vote in BIG numbers or surrender to this insanity
The EC is a vestige of the Republic. Today we elect people in a powerful central government as a Democracy as they promise the goodies to us all. One party, or a far left wing of it has convinced people that we are a nation of hate. They have separated people into cultures. And many of their group associations would hurt and do worse to each other if the system ever goes into depression mode. When you add lobbyists which affects us all in D.C.and the feudal families of power around the nation, we have what we have.

The founders were wise men for their time - but in hindsight they did some dumb shit. The Electoral College is dumb shit.
I'll take the informed opinion of the Founders over your partisan ignorance any day, any hour, any week, any year, any century.

If you thought America was a democracy you were an uneducated lout. America is a Federal Republic.

Eliminate the Electoral College and disenfranchise 5/8th of the nation's voters.

Sounds like the Democrats have finally come up with a way to win back the White House.
Why should a vote in Montana be worth more than a vote in Pennsylvania?
If we went to a popular vote, the needs of Montana would be completely ignored by populist demagogues who would only campaign in urban centers.

That's why.

You're welcome.

Won't happen.
Thread is another exercise in futility.
I have a feeling if the shoe were on the other foot, Republicans would be looking at this differently.

I have a feeling you only think that because YOUR principles are selfish and subjective, and you assume everyone is like you. Don't project.
Okay, maybe I'm wrong.

More than maybe. It's not like Democrats haven't won in recent history, and I have yet to see concerted efforts among Republicans to invalidate and delegitimize those elections. Disagree with and oppose policies, sure. Delegitimize, no.
Nonsense. They tried to delegitimize the 2000 election. As I pointed out, Katherine Harris refused to accept returns filed after a week following the election, even though she didn’t have to. Then there were the mobs of GOP operatives, paid to disrupt the recounts. Hoping to at least stall the recounts if not end them entirely.

Presidential elections should be based on people - not acres.

They are determined by the people. The states have their individual representation based on how their state votes.

One state cannot dominate another state because of population. We wouldn't even be a Nation if it weren't for the Electoral College.

Nonsense. They tried to delegitimize the 2000 election. As I pointed out, Katherine Harris refused to accept returns filed after a week following the election, even though she didn’t have to. Then there were the mobs of GOP operatives, paid to disrupt the recounts. Hoping to at least stall the recounts if not end them entirely.

The whole thing was a partisan farce. They were making it up as they went along

The Florida election recount of 2000 was a period of vote recounting in Florida that occurred during the weeks after Election Day in the 2000 United States presidential election between George W. Bush and Al Gore. The Florida vote was ultimately settled in Bush's favor by a margin of 537 votes when the U.S. Supreme Court, in Bush v. Gore, stopped a recount that had been initiated upon a ruling by the Florida Supreme Court. That in turn gave Bush a majority of votes in the Electoral College and victory in the presidential election.[1]

0E4C9A64-770D-4B5B-82C4-F6EAC431132F.jpeg

Tied at 7 since the beginning of WW2, seems pretty fair and effective to me

Hillary should have spent more time in those states.
Bingo.

Clinton took those states for granted. She never even visited Wisconsin. Not even once.

So those states responded accordingly with a big "FUCK YOU" to Hillary.

Clinton phoned in her campaign. As much as I hate Trump, he expended a hundred times more energy on the campaign than Clinton did. Easily a hundred times more energy.

Trump worked hard to win. Clinton coasted on assumptions.

Forum List

Back