Ending income taxes

Maybe it's just me, but has anyone actually seen the law in the federal registrar requiring anyone to pay income taxes?
You'll love these guys...

Home - Freedom Above Fortune

Free Enterprise Society

http://www.givemeliberty.org/

I only ask because I was going to apply for citizenship for work convenience, but then I reconsidered. Part of the great privilege of being an American citizen is that you have to pay taxes on whatever you earn, no matter where you are...

No thank you, sir.

Maybe it's just me, but has anyone actually seen the law in the federal registrar requiring anyone to pay income taxes?
You'll love these guys...

Home - Freedom Above Fortune

Free Enterprise Society

http://www.givemeliberty.org/

I only ask because I was going to apply for citizenship for work convenience, but then I reconsidered. Part of the great privilege of being an American citizen is that you have to pay taxes on whatever you earn, no matter where you are...

No thank you, sir.
Actually, no.

I considered taking a job in Antarctica at McMurdo Station for awhile....One of their selling points is that I would be out of the country long enough that my earnings would be exempt from income taxes, though not FICA.

I considered taking a job in Antarctica at McMurdo Station for awhile....One of their selling points is that I would be out of the country long enough that my earnings would be exempt from income taxes, though not FICA.

I have never heard of that. The U.S. is one of the few countries that tax your income regardless of where in the world you earn it and it's been a point of contention with a lot of other nations who don't. In fact, I just read an article a few months ago about American ex-patriots giving up their citizenship so they no longer have to pay tax to the U.S. on their income earned abroad.

I have never heard of that. The U.S. is one of the few countries that tax your income regardless of where in the world you earn it and it's been a point of contention with a lot of other nations who don't. In fact, I just read an article a few months ago about American ex-patriots giving up their citizenship so they no longer have to pay tax to the U.S. on their income earned abroad.
Dunno....Maybe Raytheon (the prime contractor for McMurdo and Palmer) has some kind of special deal going....The labyrinth that the IRC is and all it's special carve-outs, it wouldn't surprise me.

People have done that, but it cost a fortune (at least to those who are successful).

End the income tax.

Implement a flat consumption tax.

Problem solved, equality for all.

This. So this.
What percentage would you recommend? Personally I pay 24% in income taxes, so I think a 15-25% flat tax would be best.

End the income tax.

Implement a flat consumption tax.

Problem solved, equality for all.

In other words raise taxes on the poor and cut taxes for the rich by instituting a policy where the poor pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes then the rich do. No thank you

You realize that if we did away with income taxes, the poor would actually make more money, right?

All that sarcasm aside, you realize that if we ended tax exemptions for corporations who make certain products and services we need in America, that you could see them hike prices on those certain products and services. That in turn would make it harder for the ordinary citizen to obtain them. You can't just take those tax exemptions away without hurting someone else in the process. This is the other side of "trickle down economics."

Cause and effect.

Perhaps. But I'm willing to bet a lot of other corporations would see people hiking taxes and realize that even more money would be made by lowering prices on certain goods.

You are seriously going to suggest that the poor will be paying more in taxes then the rich? Let's assume that this class divide is a reality for the sake of this discussion.

If you are taxed on what you consume, what on earth makes you think the rich will be paying less in taxes? The taxes we pay will be determined by how much we consume. Both the rich and the poor can exercise discretion to purchase what they want. No one can force someone who is rich or poor to purchase a good or service.

So everyone will be treated equally according to their choices. How exactly is treating everyone the same way, regardless of how much income they make, going to burden the poor more than the rich? Why do you think that I, as a poor man, should be less obligated to support my nations taxes than someone who makes more than I do? And if I use more of my income to consume goods and services, how is that any ones fault but my own?

You need to stop with this mindset of people being treated differently because of how much money they earn. A man is not better or worse than his brethren because he makes alot of money or because he makes little money. This is an artificial divide created by politicins to attempt to divide the people so that they can obtain power over us.

We should be seeking taxation that is equitable. Not a tax system that divides a man because of his income and profits.

Actually... right now, people do get treated differently. It's a result of nearly 40 years of making the rich richer and the poor poorer. Lobbyists seemingly have more of a say-so in politics than politicians do.

Look at tax expenditures this way:

Bob and Neal live next door to each other. They each earn $50,000 a year.

To maintain the road and street lights in front of their houses, and to pay for the fire department and police protection, and sundry other government functions the public voted for, Bob and Neal's "fair share" of costs would be $600 each a year.

But Bob owns his house while Neal is renting his. Bob also bought the right kind of refrigerator which some lobbyist for the appliance maker convinced his elected officials was worthy of a tax break.

As a result, Bob's tax bill for all these services is $400 instead of $600. This means Neal will have to make up the difference and pay $800 instead of $600.

Or, Neal will pay $600 (still $200 more than Bob) and the government will borrow the rest from China. Or print it.

That's what tax expenditures are doin for ya!

I had no idea I could get a break on my property taxes for buying a refrigerator.

Bad analogy....Those services are paid for by fuel and property taxes, not income taxes.

The underlying point remains. Just change the $600 to pay for national defense, and it holds up just fine.
The underlying point is invalid, as national defense would and can quite sufficiently be funded via lawful Article 1, Section 8, duties imposts and excises.

Combine that with ceasing to use the American military as the world's babysitter and there's even less call for an income tax.

You're going to fund the national defense by taxing cigarettes and liquor?

I'm not sure what the "federal registrar" is, but you can look up the Internal Revenue Code in Title 26 of the U.S. Code. Here is the one specifying what individuals owe:

26 USC § 1 - Tax imposed | Title 26 - Internal Revenue Code | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

Its not just you, BTW. Thousands of people, some with really nice looking blogs, are under the false belief they are not required to pay income taxes. They usually believe this because they read it on a nice looking blog somewhere and it sounded good to them, and its easier and far more mysterious than taking the 5 minutes needed to look up the U.S. law.

Last edited:

Its not as simple as that. There is an exemption on the first 90k or so of income if you've lived abroad long enough. You can also tack on housing costs to that exemption.

U.S. Expatriate Income Tax Obligations | INTAXACT

The underlying point remains. Just change the $600 to pay for national defense, and it holds up just fine.
The underlying point is invalid, as national defense would and can quite sufficiently be funded via lawful Article 1, Section 8, duties imposts and excises.

Combine that with ceasing to use the American military as the world's babysitter and there's even less call for an income tax.

You're even stupider than I had hitherto before thought....And that's saying something.

You're even stupider than I had hitherto before thought....And that's saying something.

Wow look, you said something. Well done!

Anyone who watches the market news can see the stock market is on the brink of dire straits, the indications are plain. The REAL reason for this instability is that the government has been using borrowed money to buttress the economy and maintain numerous jobs for years and there are clear indications that the federal government is about to cut spending drastically, yanking the buttresses out from under the American economy and leading to global economic collapse.

It occurs to me that there is a very simple no non-sense way to avoid economic collapse and the possible wars that could follow and its shockingly simple, end income and reduce capital gains taxes by making the 66% of companies that operate without paying taxes, pay them (and stop giving them tax “benefits”).

You see the corporations are not “people”, when an individual pays taxes its money out of their own pocket and that hurts. Corporations however are not people; the corporate employees pay personal income taxes, taxes paid by the company however are never “felt” by either the shareholders or the employee’s. By slowly reducing personal income taxes while ending tax benefits for corporations and banning the hiding of corporate profits in overseas tax havens, consumer spending can be increased while balancing the national budget by creating domestic jobs through increased consumer spending and increasing job creating ventures through the reduction in personal taxes.

At this point it’s either that or hide your gold under your mattress and invest heavily in nonperishable foods, firearms, toilet paper and other post economy goods.

That’s my two cents on the subject.

There’s an even simpler way: accept the fact that none of what you’re worrying about – income taxes, debt, ‘government spending’ – will in any way cause an ‘economic collapse.’

In fact, it’s a lack of ‘government spending’ that has contributed to the current drag on the economy.

I'm not sure what the "federal registrar" is, but you can look up the Internal Revenue Code in Title 26 of the U.S. Code. Here is the one specifying what individuals owe:

26 USC § 1 - Tax imposed | Title 26 - Internal Revenue Code | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

The Federal Registrar is where all laws in the land are recorded. The internal revenue code are just statutory tax regulations. And that is not a statutory law requiring any citizens paying taxes. Those are just statutory brackets imposed on individuals making a certain amount of money.

You've confused the two. Good job.

Its not just you, BTW. Thousands of people, some with really nice looking blogs, are under the false belief they are not required to pay income taxes. They usually believe this because they read it on a nice looking blog somewhere and it sounded good to them, and its easier and far more mysterious than taking the 5 minutes needed to look up the U.S. law.

You already professed to not knowing what the Federal Registrar is, and you somehow think you are going to take 5 minutes to show me what the law is?

You're already off to a bad start. But please take all the time you need.

Forum List

Back