Equal Pay for Equal Work

Yesterday prez Obama signed an EO supporting women's ability to sue for equal pay...Today, the Senate will vote on a bill to increase realization of pay equity for all employees.
Over 50 years after the Equal Pay Act was passed, women still make .77 to every $ men make...for the same work with the same training and experience.
Apparently, the EPA is either being ignored or has no teeth...And something needs to be done about it.
Kudos to the prez for leading the effort to correct this great wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I get so sick of this stuff - 77 cents? This equality crap in everything that touches our lives is ridiculous. Being paid equal pay right down to the penny is a bit much. If Mary Sue has 10 pairs of Gloria Vanderbilt jeans then every woman in the country is ENTITLED to have 10 pair of Gloria Vanderbilt jeans in every cut or style that Mary Sue has. If Marcus has a Porsche, then everybody else in the country is ENTITLED to have a Porsche - and it's got to have EVERY feature that Marcus' Porsche has - right down to the EXACT mileage per gallon to the last drop - never mind the driving habits, road/weather/topographical differences and on and on and on.

We have enough problems to deal with in this country and a 77 cent pay differential should not be one of them.

Um...U do realize that this adds up to about a quarter less pay for women annually, right?
So ...if a guy makes @$40,000 a year, and a woman working the same job with the same training and experience makes $30,000 that year...She's being ripped off $10,000 annually...which can be really significant if hubby walks or dies and she has kids to feed, shelter and raise solo...
Over 10 years at the same wage level, that adds up to $100,000 ripped off...
That 23% discrepancy REALLY adds up as a woman approaches retirement and will be outliving most males.
Finally, why the HELL should women make less than men for the same work?

Last edited:
If there is an honest disparity, it can't possibly be because of this:

Obama?s Wage Gap Myth | FrontPage Magazine

A report by the left-leaning Daily Beast adds another factor to the list. The website cites a document compiled by the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce entitled, “What’s it Worth? The Economic Value of College Majors,” that does in fact reveal a gender gap — in the choice of majors.

In the list of the ten “most remunerative majors,” the percentage of men overwhelmingly dominate those of women in nine of the ten categories:

1. Petroleum Engineering: 87% male
2. Pharmacy Pharmaceutical Sciences and Administration: 48% male
3. Mathematics and Computer Science: 67% male
4. Aerospace Engineering: 88% male
5. Chemical Engineering: 72% male
6. Electrical Engineering: 89% male
7. Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering: 97% male
8. Mechanical Engineering: 90% male
9. Metallurgical Engineering: 83% male
10. Mining and Mineral Engineering: 90% male

And here are the 10 "least remunerative majors"—where women prevail in nine out of ten:

1. Counseling Psychology: 74% female
2. Early Childhood Education: 97% female
3. Theology and Religious Vocations: 34% female
4. Human Services and Community Organization: 81% female
5. Social Work: 88% female
6. Drama and Theater Arts: 60% female
7. Studio Arts: 66% female
8. Communication Disorders Sciences and Services: 94% female
9. Visual and Performing Arts: 77% female
10. Health and Medical Preparatory Programs: 55% female

‘Gender Gap’ Fraud Backfires on Obama
?Gender Gap? Fraud Backfires on Obama | FrontPage Magazine

Last edited:
Dear Defiant1, my wife started right out of college, as did the male Management Trainees. She had the usual assortment of work experiences (part time as a sales clerk) going in, and those hired as Management Trainees had done landscaping.

But they did not have vagina's, which appears to have been the reason for the hiring anomaly.

My wife has worked for a large bank for many years (34, to be exact). When she was hired initially - a recent college grad - she was hired as a teller, because basically all women were hired as tellers. Other people she knew (men) with the same credentials were hired as Management Trainees.

It took her 5 years to get into Management, and when she did, her salary was below the "minimum" for her positions for years. This was because the bank had rules about the maximum allowable raises, and since she started at such a low level, even with the maximum raises it was not enough to bring her up to the minimum for her position.

In the worst case, her boss was told to give her two reviews a year until she caught up, but he CUT THE RAISES IN HALF due to the fact that she was getting two a year! It took her two years to get to someone high enough in the organization to complain and straighten this guy out.

In short, she was paid at least 25% less and was at least 4 years behind in her career progression because she had a vagina.

I believe this has been corrected in recent years (she makes more than I do, as a low-level corporate attorney), but we can't know for sure because THEY ARE PROHIBITED FROM TALKING WITH THEIR PEERS ABOUT SALARY AND BONUS.

Hmmm.

Why would anyone stay at a job they were being treated like shit?

Why didn't you man the fuck up and confront him?
Why didn't you tell your wife you'd put in extra hours to cover bills while she looked for another job?

story fail

unless you're a bitch

As usual, some rw's are just pretending the truth is a lie.

Like we didn't see that coming.

head-in-the-sand.jpg

If its not true, why are the Rs fighting against it?

`

b/c we all know it's a sham, a lie, has nothing to do with actual facts.

that's why you leftist support it, you know this is meaningless

A report by the left-leaning Daily Beast adds another factor to the list. The website cites a document compiled by the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce entitled, “What’s it Worth? The Economic Value of College Majors,” that does in fact reveal a gender gap — in the choice of majors.

In the list of the ten “most remunerative majors,” the percentage of men overwhelmingly dominate those of women in nine of the ten categories:

And here are the 10 "least remunerative majors"—where women prevail in nine out of ten:

Good lord...how did u end up with pre-med and counseling psych as least remunerative? My hubby is a lawyer and I make as much him most years...
Could it be that many of the majors u list require graduate work to reach professional level?

Last edited:

Good lord...how did u end up with pre-med and counseling psych as least remunerative? My hubby is a lawyer and make as much him most years...
Could it be that many of the majors u list require graduate work to reach professional level?

Maybe because it counts only people working with those degrees only, and not those who go onto further ones?

...and I repeat for the umteenth time..what the prez is addressing at this time is EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK...in THE SAME JOB W SAME EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING...not pay disparities between vocations...stop comparing oranges with carrots...

Dear Defiant1, my wife started right out of college, as did the male Management Trainees. She had the usual assortment of work experiences (part time as a sales clerk) going in, and those hired as Management Trainees had done landscaping.

But they did not have vagina's, which appears to have been the reason for the hiring anomaly.

I worked with the banking industry for over 30 years. For the most part a very conservative group.
Yes, most females start as tellers, but over the years I've met some women who had attained some very lofty positions by toughing it out and being aggressive.

Come to think of it though, I don't think I ever met a female bank president. Well at least I don't remember any women ever going fishing or playing golf with us.

...and I repeat for the umteenth time..what the prez is addressing at this time is EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK...in THE SAME JOB W SAME EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING...not pay disparities between vocations...stop comparing oranges with carrots...

Yeah we get it. How about that lying hypocrite lead by example a d stop paying women who work in his administration the same as men for same work?

Yeah we get it. How about that lying hypocrite lead by example a d stop paying women who work in his administration the same as men for same work?

Sigh...U don't pay attention do U? Employees at the Whitehouse DO INDEED MAKE EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK AND EXPERIENCE...
The .88 сent female to $1.00 male pay disparity there exists SOLELY BECAUSE AT THIS TIME, men occupy more senior positions than women..ALL ON THE SAME LEVEL HAVE THE SAME PAY SCALE. Consistent Change in this can only happen over time, as more women "grow" into seniority or are hired at that level.
Again...comparing oranges to carrots.

Here is another factor.

People who are better negotiators receive better compensation packages.

Why should someone who doesn't care enough to negotiate receive the benefits of someone that does?

Here is another factor.

Why should someone who doesn't care enough to negotiate receive the benefits of someone that does?

That's a valid point...but dosn't explain the lack of knowledge about relative compensation when corporate culture prohibits transparency about who makes what....That is what the prez is addressing ...Transparency in the workplace .so that those who r underpaid would have relevant and timely data for effective negotiation...and legal proceedings if need be.
But ur right...women need to learn more about kicking ass in the workplace.

I heard this question on the radio yesterday and no one was able to give a good answer:

"If women make less than men for the same job, why would any employer in their right mind ever hire a man?"

"...the President of the United States reciting a massively discredited factoid. The 23-cent gender pay gap is simply the difference between the average earnings of all men and women working full-time. It does not account for differences in occupations, positions, education, job tenure, or hours worked per week. When all these relevant factors are taken into consideration, the wage gap narrows to about five cents. And no one knows if the five cents is a result of discrimination or some other subtle, hard-to-measure difference between male and female workers."

MORE: No, Women Don?t Make Less Money Than Men - The Daily Beast
Indeed, if employees worked the same number of hours and did the same work, employers would prefer the lowest bidder.

That they would hire based on sex for the same work is ridiculous.

Dear "dr d,"

The PREMISE on which the President has issued this Executive Order is fundamentally flawed and he (Our Beloved President) knows it. There is no .77/1 "wage gap." Thus he is doing nothing but posturing during an election year to draw attention away from the miserable job he is doing as President.

Here is another factor.

That's a valid point...but dosn't explain the lack of knowledge about relative compensation when corporate culture prohibits transparency about who makes what....That is what the prez is addressing ...Transparency in the workplace .so that those who r underpaid would have relevant and timely data for effective negotiation...and legal proceedings if need be.
But ur right...women need to learn more about kicking ass in the workplace.

The boi king can sign all the exec orders his little heart desires.

I consider conversations with my employees confidential. That includes pay raises, days off, etc.

If an employee reveals those conversations, he/she will be gone.

Transparency in the workplace, are you kidding me.

Leave private business alone.

If a person doesn't know how to get a job earning more money, get educated, learn, ask someone that has done it.

And most importantly, grow some balls. Be willing to walk out. Remember you were looking for a job when you found that one.

Yesterday prez Obama signed an EO supporting women's ability to sue for equal pay...Today, the Senate will vote on a bill to increase realization of pay equity for all employees.
Over 50 years after the Equal Pay Act was passed, women still make .77 to every $ men make...for the same work with the same training and experience.
Apparently, the EPA is either being ignored or has no teeth...And something needs to be done about it.
Kudos to the prez for leading the effort to correct this great wrong...

I used to wonder why politicians said stupid things, now I know it is because there are people like you that believe them.

Sent from my brain using my ability to actually think.

Equal pay for equal work is already the law. If Barry's numbers are true (and there's no reason to believe this liar) then the law isn't working.

Hell, Obama himself first even obey the law. The women working for him make less than the men. He's not only a liar, he's a hypocrite.

But they do better than the average. That must means something, to the stupid people.

Bad enough that employers still get away with blatant discrimination but some of our own people are in favor of it.

My bet is that this vote will follow party lines - Dems are in favor of Constitutionally guaranteed equality, Repubs are against it.

Edited to add "some of" because I know that not all Americans are stupid.

There is no discrimination, if there were you would be able to point to actual examples.

Forum List

Back