Ethical development implication

LogicMoose

Not Really A Moose...
Feb 26, 2011
Maui, Hawaii
I'll just start with my story to give a background to my fury, but if you'd care to skip the painting of the picture and just see the image I'll make it clear what my point is.
I've recently graduated High School, and I hear it is quite common, but there was a "senior project". To our school, this was just a paper and action taken to show individual distaste in something specific (whether it be world wide, local, or anything at all). Most students wrote papers on how the war in the middle east is bad and sent care packages. Quite simple. I decided to accuse the public education system of enforcing a low level of moral reasoning. I used Prof. Kohlberg's theory of moral development as evidence, and had random screenings of ethics tests throughout the school (which was administered by a doctor in psychology). My project was blatantly shot down by all the teachers, despite the evidence. The teachers refused to offer a counter argument as well. They didn't insist that the education system was correct, and that my tests are unreliable. They insisted that I was a conspiracy theorist and dumb.

So to all the highest minds of the internet, could I either have a counter argument, agreement or something other than ad hominem?
If we implement Professor Kohlberg's theory of moral development into our public educations systems, then crime rates and general wellness will lower.

I furthermore apologize for any incorrect English, we don't exactly use it here.

I furthermore apologize for any incorrect English, we don't exactly use it here.

I noticed that.

But I don't know anything about that moral theory.

KOHLBERG'S THEORY OF MORAL DEVELOPMENT <--LINK

I concluded it was a bad idea to bring anything controversial to teachers long before high school graduation. Schools and teachers are more about promoting conventional thinking than anything else. They call it education. I call it indoctrination.

You have to decide how seriously to take and how to cope with the conventional, normal majority.

psik

I noticed that.

I concluded it was a bad idea to bring anything controversial to teachers long before high school graduation. Schools and teachers are more about promoting conventional thinking than anything else. They call it education. I call it indoctrination.

You have to decide how seriously to take and how to cope with the conventional, normal majority.

psik

Thank you for the link. The boards wouldn't let me post it due to how new I am here.

And I know that the schools are meant for conventional thinking, and I'm not arguing for ethics to be taught as a class or anything. I'm saying that the way the rule system is set up in schools, students learn to just follow the rules and never actually think for themselves on what is right and wrong.

I'll just start with my story to give a background to my fury, but if you'd care to skip the painting of the picture and just see the image I'll make it clear what my point is.
I've recently graduated High School, and I hear it is quite common, but there was a "senior project". To our school, this was just a paper and action taken to show individual distaste in something specific (whether it be world wide, local, or anything at all). Most students wrote papers on how the war in the middle east is bad and sent care packages. Quite simple. I decided to accuse the public education system of enforcing a low level of moral reasoning. I used Prof. Kohlberg's theory of moral development as evidence, and had random screenings of ethics tests throughout the school (which was administered by a doctor in psychology). My project was blatantly shot down by all the teachers, despite the evidence. The teachers refused to offer a counter argument as well. They didn't insist that the education system was correct, and that my tests are unreliable. They insisted that I was a conspiracy theorist and dumb.

So to all the highest minds of the internet, could I either have a counter argument, agreement or something other than ad hominem?
If we implement Professor Kohlberg's theory of moral development into our public educations systems, then crime rates and general wellness will lower.

Maybe you should go back to high school and learn how to use proper English before you start trashing other folks.

I noticed that.

psik

Thank you for the link. The boards wouldn't let me post it due to how new I am here.

And I know that the schools are meant for conventional thinking, and I'm not arguing for ethics to be taught as a class or anything. I'm saying that the way the rule system is set up in schools, students learn to just follow the rules and never actually think for themselves on what is right and wrong.

My experience was different. Our school had a no-hat policy, a no-bandanna policy, the dress code was Orwellian (1984 was in the senior English reading list), a no possession of tobacco on campus even if you're 18 policy.

Everyone, and by everyone I mean everyone except the teachers' pets, bitched about some or all of these rules. Angst towards authority is a completely normal teenage trait, so I don't even see why the school needs to encourage something that so inherent in the students already.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

I noticed that.

psik

My experience was different. Our school had a no-hat policy, a no-bandanna policy, the dress code was Orwellian (1984 was in the senior English reading list), a no possession of tobacco on campus even if you're 18 policy.

Everyone, and by everyone I mean everyone except the teachers' pets, bitched about some or all of these rules. Angst towards authority is a completely normal teenage trait, so I don't even see why the school needs to encourage something that so inherent in the students already.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

The rules being set don't allow students to expand their own thoughts on what is right and wrong.
The whole reason students aren't allowed to ditch classes is because they are making themselves a victim to their own crimes. Students don't know this. They think that they are just breaking the rules, not irrationally infringing on their own rights to a proper education.
Students will only follow the rules because they are told to, or break them because they feel like it or it brings favor to them, and not have any grasp on what the concepts of right and wrong are.

Forum List

Back