🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

EV charging wait! What a joke!

There are different types of charging stations. IIRC from an article I read awhile back in in relation to Biden's $5B for new stations, the price difference in one that takes an hour or more to charge and one that will do it in 10-15 minutes is averaging around $100K per device to build.
How much does it cost to zap a car from empty to full charge?...Average

There are different types of charging stations. IIRC from an article I read awhile back in in relation to Biden's $5B for new stations, the price difference in one that takes an hour or more to charge and one that will do it in 10-15 minutes is averaging around $100K per device to build.
We'll need new battery technology to make fast charging viable. Right now, fast charging drastically reduces a battery's life span, and when you consider that it costs tens of thousands of dollars to replace a car's battery pack, it pretty much eliminates the resale market. We can hope new battery technology will be found and brought to market, but that and $5 will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

If you prefer Coke do you oppose Pepsi?
Irrelevant. An EV that can fit into a person's driving patterns is a viable alternative, but still lacks the flexibility that a gas-powered car has. If your driving patterns are trips short enough to fit within a full charge, followed by periods long enough to charge the car back up, it works. If, OTOH, you either need to drive a longer distance than a full charge can take you, you are required to stop long enough to charge the car back up before you can finish your journey. IOW, current EVs with our current infrastructure work for SOME models, but not others. I could see a city mandating that only EVs be allowed to drive within city limits.

Thanks.Plus the power to create a battery too and they go what 75k miles and conk out

How are these things in roll overs and serious accidents??
The cars themselves are no different from gas powered vehicles. The major concern right now is battery fires. Once one of them catches on fire, you can only hope you have time to get far away from it.

The cars themselves are no different from gas powered vehicles. The major concern right now is battery fires. Once one of them catches on fire, you can only hope you have time to get far away from it.
What I was talking about was the weight of the vehicle. They have to be light it seems

LOL........We should bring back the Pinto for fires too.......................Seems we're back in the 70s again anyhoot

I'd like to see a person living in Buffalo who get over 100 in of snow give their opinion on winter handling

Irrelevant. An EV that can fit into a person's driving patterns is a viable alternative, but still lacks the flexibility that a gas-powered car has. If your driving patterns are trips short enough to fit within a full charge, followed by periods long enough to charge the car back up, it works. If, OTOH, you either need to drive a longer distance than a full charge can take you, you are required to stop long enough to charge the car back up before you can finish your journey. IOW, current EVs with our current infrastructure work for SOME models, but not others. I could see a city mandating that only EVs be allowed to drive within city limits.

It's not irrelevant. Someone prefers one car over another. That doesn't mean you should oppose what works for others or what others prefer.

It's not irrelevant. Someone prefers one car over another. That doesn't mean you should oppose what works for others or what others prefer.
That's just it, I'm not opposing EV's. I'm simply pointing out that they're not the universal answer to all our problems that advocates seem to be claiming. We have at least a decade or more before they can really replace ICEs for the majority of drivers. Heck, everyone going out right now and buying one would simply overload the electrical grid and we would need to institute rotating times when people could charge their cars at home. We need a much more robust grid for all the charging at home that will be going on, we need a much faster method to achieve a full charge, we need a way to recycle batteries and make replacing a car's battery pack much cheaper or the used car market will die. We need all of these before the majority of vehicles on the road are EVs. They're fine for what they are right now, commuter vehicles driven for a short trip then not needed for hours during which they can recharge.

Nooo..its the people stupid enough to buy EV's voting and cheating for corrupt morons like Biden that have lead to inflation.

Trillions of dollars pumped into the markets has caused the inflation. Sure, many who have supported that have also voted for Biden.

That's just it, I'm not opposing EV's. I'm simply pointing out that they're not the universal answer to all our problems that advocates seem to be claiming. We have at least a decade or more before they can really replace ICEs for the majority of drivers. Heck, everyone going out right now and buying one would simply overload the electrical grid and we would need to institute rotating times when people could charge their cars at home. We need a much more robust grid for all the charging at home that will be going on, we need a much faster method to achieve a full charge, we need a way to recycle batteries and make replacing a car's battery pack much cheaper or the used car market will die. We need all of these before the majority of vehicles on the road are EVs. They're fine for what they are right now, commuter vehicles driven for a short trip then not needed for hours during which they can recharge.

So maybe "oppose" was the wrong word?

For such an easy solution people sure do seem to have exploding heads. If you don't want one, don't buy one. Go on your way. It's crazy how upset people get over the decisions of others.

I'll just leave this here

New York State to Ban New ICE Sales by 2035 - Motor Illustrated

New York State Governor Kathy Hochul has just signed legislation that will ban all sales of new light-duty cars and trucks powered by internal combustion engines come 2035. The legion also holds a provision for heavy- and medium-duty trucks which will need to meet zero-emission requirements by 2045 as well. This move is part of the State’s plan to reduce its greenhouse emissions by 85% by 2050.

About 35 bucks at a commercial charging station....more for larger battery packs...it's 30 cents/minute on a fast charger and it takes about 2 hours to get to 100 percent.
And the cost of upgrading a grid and all that is needed for this will skyrocket charging.............................LOLOL

Forum List

Back