🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Evangelicals explain their support for Trump. It's the racism that stands out.

Judgment Days

In a small Alabama town, an evangelical congregation reckons with God, President Trump and the meaning of morality

A few leaders have publicly dissented from such views, aware of the Southern Baptist history of whiffing on the big moral questions of the day — such as during the civil rights era, when most pastors either defended segregation or remained silent. The president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s ethics commission, Russell Moore, asked whether Christians were “really ready to trade unity with our black and brown brothers and sisters for this angry politician?” One prominent black pastor, Lawrence Ware, left the denomination altogether, writing that the widespread reluctance to criticize Trump on racial issues revealed a “deep commitment to white supremacy.” The new president of the Southern Baptist Convention, J.D. Greear, said church culture had “grown too comfortable with power and the dangers that power brings.”

But all those discussions were taking place far from the rank-and-file. The Southern Baptists who filled the pews every Sunday were making their own moral calculations about Trump in the privacy of a thousand church sanctuaries in cities and towns such as Luverne, population 2,700, an hour south of the state capital of Montgomery.

It was a place where it was hard to drive a mile in any direction without passing some church or sign about the wages of sin, where conversations about politics happened in nodding circles before Sunday school, or at the Chicken Shack after, and few people paid attention to some national Southern Baptist leader.

This is a really good read for all those of us who absolutely cannot grasp how people who call themselves people of faith have embraced an obviously unchristian man.

Most of it seems to be a reaction to Obama, and the lies they chose to believe about him. Which - I mean, that's not really any surprise.

What is going to be a surprise is when they get turned away at the pearly gates.
Turned away from the pearly gates? Are you saying that there are rules and regulations that you have to follow to get into heaven? Do they ask questions at the gate and then decide whether you belong there? Well damn. Who'd have thunk that Heaven didn't have open borders. My, my.

Would you recognize a Bible if you saw one?
Well I wasn't foolish enough to spend 30 years in a church that I didn't believe in, if that's what you mean. I'm just finding my daily amusement in the hypocrisy you're displaying. Carry on.

Really. That's the conclusion you've reached? Well of course it is! Because it makes no sense. I was a woman of faith for thirty years. Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, Family Camp and revivals.

And you?

Judgment Days

In a small Alabama town, an evangelical congregation reckons with God, President Trump and the meaning of morality

A few leaders have publicly dissented from such views, aware of the Southern Baptist history of whiffing on the big moral questions of the day — such as during the civil rights era, when most pastors either defended segregation or remained silent. The president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s ethics commission, Russell Moore, asked whether Christians were “really ready to trade unity with our black and brown brothers and sisters for this angry politician?” One prominent black pastor, Lawrence Ware, left the denomination altogether, writing that the widespread reluctance to criticize Trump on racial issues revealed a “deep commitment to white supremacy.” The new president of the Southern Baptist Convention, J.D. Greear, said church culture had “grown too comfortable with power and the dangers that power brings.”

But all those discussions were taking place far from the rank-and-file. The Southern Baptists who filled the pews every Sunday were making their own moral calculations about Trump in the privacy of a thousand church sanctuaries in cities and towns such as Luverne, population 2,700, an hour south of the state capital of Montgomery.

It was a place where it was hard to drive a mile in any direction without passing some church or sign about the wages of sin, where conversations about politics happened in nodding circles before Sunday school, or at the Chicken Shack after, and few people paid attention to some national Southern Baptist leader.

This is a really good read for all those of us who absolutely cannot grasp how people who call themselves people of faith have embraced an obviously unchristian man.

Most of it seems to be a reaction to Obama, and the lies they chose to believe about him. Which - I mean, that's not really any surprise.

What is going to be a surprise is when they get turned away at the pearly gates.
Turned away from the pearly gates? Are you saying that there are rules and regulations that you have to follow to get into heaven? Do they ask questions at the gate and then decide whether you belong there? Well damn. Who'd have thunk that Heaven didn't have open borders. My, my.

Well I wasn't foolish enough to spend 30 years in a church that I didn't believe in, if that's what you mean. I'm just finding my daily amusement in the hypocrisy you're displaying. Carry on.

Really. That's the conclusion you've reached? Well of course it is! Because it makes no sense. I was a woman of faith for thirty years. Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, Family Camp and revivals.

And you?

Did you sleep with the pastor?

What evangelicals like about Trump

donald-trump-ivanka-bed-kiss.jpg
View attachment 206761
Only YOURS is fake

Judgment Days

And you?

Apparently, your pastor sets a VERY shitty example.

And you?

Given your vehemency it is a logical question. Given your reaction I'm betting it was spot on.

Bearing false witnesses? Twenty years ago the crazy jack booted left was ripping the Ten Commandments off a court house wall and now the hypocrites lecture us about Christian beliefs? You gotta be kidding. We just saw an unrepentant enabler for forty years of her husband's sexual abuse and a friend of one of H'wood's worst sexual abusers run for president and the crazy angry bigoted left lectures us about adultery.
Didn’t see evangelicals support Clinton, did you?

Why do they support Trump?
Why do they support Trump? The evangelicals support Trump rather than Hillary because they understand that he, at best, is probably a back sliding Christian and at worst, an atheist that will at least support their right to be Christians. They understand implicitly that Hillary was hostile towards their religion and perceived that she would ultimately have led to less religious freedom.

Last edited:
Judgment Days

And you?
Are you really having that much difficulty understanding the irony of you posting that people were bad Christians because they don't support people entering the country outside of the immigration rules and then telling people they won't get in to heaven because they don't follow church rules? Sorry, I thought it was a pretty obvious point.

Bearing false witnesses? Twenty years ago the crazy jack booted left was ripping the Ten Commandments off a court house wall and now the hypocrites lecture us about Christian beliefs? You gotta be kidding. We just saw an unrepentant enabler for forty years of her husband's sexual abuse and a friend of one of H'wood's worst sexual abusers run for president and the crazy angry bigoted left lectures us about adultery.

Why do they support Trump? The evangelicals support Trump rather than Hillary because they understand that he, at best, is probably a back sliding Christian and at worst, an atheist that will at least support their right to be Christians. They understand implicitly that Hillary was hostile towards their religion and perceived that she would ultimately have led to less religious freedom.
I see your point

As Christians, Trump will support their hatred against Muslims, queers and negroes

Trump will support white, Christian values at the expense of all others

Less religious freedom but more protections of Christians as our preferred religion

Judgment Days

And you?
Are you really having that much difficulty understanding the irony of you posting that people were bad Christians because they don't support people entering the country outside of the immigration rules and then telling people they won't get in to heaven because they don't follow church rules? Sorry, I thought it was a pretty obvious point.
Real Christians don’t celebrate ripping children away from their parents just because they are brown

Last edited:
Judgment Days

And you?

Fascinating.....seems to be something expected of fundies?

And you?
Real Christians don’t celebrate ripping children away from their parents
Exactly. Nor make excuses for it.

I see your point

As Christians, Trump will support their hatred against Muslims, queers and negroes

Trump will support white, Christian values at the expense of all others

Less religious freedom but more protections of Christians as our preferred religion
Aren't all those seeking asylum who are having their children caged christians?

Trump shits all over the 10 commandments and the bible bangers support him -

F'em both.

And you?

Given your vehemency it is a logical question. Given your reaction I'm betting it was spot on.

No, it's not and No. It's not.

I don't even want to know what church you go to, those people are all manner of fucked up.

And you?

Well, talk about using one's personal experience with religion and pastors.

Racism is the lie minorities are waking up to as they flee the Democratic Section 8 plantation.

And you?

No, it's not and No. It's not.

I don't even want to know what church you go to, those people are all manner of fucked up.
Well, the Catholic hierarchy has the patent on pedophilia.

Forum List

Back