🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Evangelicals explain their support for Trump. It's the racism that stands out.

Judgment Days

In a small Alabama town, an evangelical congregation reckons with God, President Trump and the meaning of morality

A few leaders have publicly dissented from such views, aware of the Southern Baptist history of whiffing on the big moral questions of the day — such as during the civil rights era, when most pastors either defended segregation or remained silent. The president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s ethics commission, Russell Moore, asked whether Christians were “really ready to trade unity with our black and brown brothers and sisters for this angry politician?” One prominent black pastor, Lawrence Ware, left the denomination altogether, writing that the widespread reluctance to criticize Trump on racial issues revealed a “deep commitment to white supremacy.” The new president of the Southern Baptist Convention, J.D. Greear, said church culture had “grown too comfortable with power and the dangers that power brings.”

But all those discussions were taking place far from the rank-and-file. The Southern Baptists who filled the pews every Sunday were making their own moral calculations about Trump in the privacy of a thousand church sanctuaries in cities and towns such as Luverne, population 2,700, an hour south of the state capital of Montgomery.

It was a place where it was hard to drive a mile in any direction without passing some church or sign about the wages of sin, where conversations about politics happened in nodding circles before Sunday school, or at the Chicken Shack after, and few people paid attention to some national Southern Baptist leader.

This is a really good read for all those of us who absolutely cannot grasp how people who call themselves people of faith have embraced an obviously unchristian man.

Most of it seems to be a reaction to Obama, and the lies they chose to believe about him. Which - I mean, that's not really any surprise.

What is going to be a surprise is when they get turned away at the pearly gates.

The only "racist" (using that term liberally) thing Trump ever did was suggest banning Muslims from entering the US. And just in case you didn't know, Muslim is not a race and Islam and Christianity have a long history of not getting along too well.

Judgment Days

In a small Alabama town, an evangelical congregation reckons with God, President Trump and the meaning of morality

A few leaders have publicly dissented from such views, aware of the Southern Baptist history of whiffing on the big moral questions of the day — such as during the civil rights era, when most pastors either defended segregation or remained silent. The president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s ethics commission, Russell Moore, asked whether Christians were “really ready to trade unity with our black and brown brothers and sisters for this angry politician?” One prominent black pastor, Lawrence Ware, left the denomination altogether, writing that the widespread reluctance to criticize Trump on racial issues revealed a “deep commitment to white supremacy.” The new president of the Southern Baptist Convention, J.D. Greear, said church culture had “grown too comfortable with power and the dangers that power brings.”

But all those discussions were taking place far from the rank-and-file. The Southern Baptists who filled the pews every Sunday were making their own moral calculations about Trump in the privacy of a thousand church sanctuaries in cities and towns such as Luverne, population 2,700, an hour south of the state capital of Montgomery.

It was a place where it was hard to drive a mile in any direction without passing some church or sign about the wages of sin, where conversations about politics happened in nodding circles before Sunday school, or at the Chicken Shack after, and few people paid attention to some national Southern Baptist leader.

This is a really good read for all those of us who absolutely cannot grasp how people who call themselves people of faith have embraced an obviously unchristian man.

Most of it seems to be a reaction to Obama, and the lies they chose to believe about him. Which - I mean, that's not really any surprise.

What is going to be a surprise is when they get turned away at the pearly gates.

I keep trying to tell them.

Vote for Hillary or burn in hell forever!

But all they do is just laugh at me for some reason.

Judgment Days

Well,to be fair ,"vote for Hillary " is a more reasonable, realistic demand than "believe in a zombie king!!".

Racism is the lie minorities are waking up to as they flee the Democratic Section 8 plantation.
So you say. :71:

Afraid of losing power from dependency ?
Dependency? Honey, don't know what little shit hole country you come from, but here in the U.S., military retirement pay isn't a dependency...it's earned. Something you are most likely not acquainted with.

I didn't refer to veterans.

Judgment Days

Well,to be fair ,"vote for Hillary " is a more reasonable, realistic demand than "believe in a zombie king!!".

For the last time, I refuse to believe in the zombie king Obama.

Hell, while he was in the Senate he did not even vote, so how could he be real?

No, he is really just an empty chair.

Racism is the lie minorities are waking up to as they flee the Democratic Section 8 plantation.
So you say. :71:

Afraid of losing power from dependency ?
Dependency? Honey, don't know what little shit hole country you come from, but here in the U.S., military retirement pay isn't a dependency...it's earned. Something you are most likely not acquainted with.

I didn't refer to veterans.
You did when you made your moronic comment to me. But we've learned to expect nothing but pretend support for veterans from trumpanzees.

Judgment Days

For the last time, I refuse to believe in the zombie king Obama.

Hell, while he was in the Senate he did not even vote, so how could he be real?

No, he is really just an empty chair.
Apparently, you are so terrified of baby Jaysus that you have to change the subject....

Judgment Days

Another alien life form heard from.

Judgment Days

Thread title isn't supported by the OP.

I always have to laugh at non christians when they tell Christians "how" they should act or be".
I guess they are just tired of the Christians telling everyone on the planet how they should be. You must be so tired out by that, that you didn't have the energy to mention it.

Poor kid, I'm not telling anyone how to live. You make your own choices and whatever they are have nothing to do with me.

Always quite humorous when atheist liberals like you try to lecture Christian's about their faith and how they should practice it. ... :cuckoo: ... :lol: :lol:

I did thirty years in the Assembly of God so you can just forget about trying that argument on me.

Sure you did.

I always have to laugh at non christians when they tell Christians "how" they should act or be".
I guess they are just tired of the Christians telling everyone on the planet how they should be. You must be so tired out by that, that you didn't have the energy to mention it.

Poor kid, I'm not telling anyone how to live. You make your own choices and whatever they are have nothing to do with me.
I tell people how to live.
I don't make them live that way.

They aren't protected from hearing people talk about how they should live.
We are protected from people who attempt to force us to live the way they dictate.

But leftists have a disconnect over that. It's the result of their brain function disorder.

Poor kid, I'm not telling anyone how to live.
Well let the others know, would ya? Thanks in advance.

Unlike yourself I don't feel the need to meddle in other folks lives.
Good, I'm glad. But your mind reading is kind of an intrusion, as magical and glorious as it is, shaman.

Son, you don't answer to me, and yes you love to intrude and tell others how they think and feel. You don't like if someone turns the tables? You will ultimately answer to God.

Good, I'm glad. But your mind reading is kind of an intrusion, as magical and glorious as it is, shaman.

Son, you don't answer to me, and yes you love to intrude and tell others how they think and feel. You don't like if someone turns the tables? You will ultimately answer to God.
Which god, shaman? Wait...did you just tell me what i have to do?

Get that shitty voodoo out of here, shaman. Nobody is scared of your spirits and trinkets.

Get that shitty voodoo out of here, shaman. Nobody is scared of your spirits and trinkets.

Yes, he did tell you what you have to do, if you want to gain heaven.

And he doesn't have to get it out of here, and nobody is trying to scare you. It's just the truth. You are afraid of the truth, so you interpret that as *scary*. It doesn't matter.

You will answer to God. You answer to God while you are on earth..and you will answer in a much bigger way in the hereafter.

I can say that to you over and over again. If you don't like it, you can leave.

Nope, not my place to tell you what to do. You don't have to be afraid of anything but you will answer to God. There is only one God son.

Forum List

Back