Ex-Supreme Court Justice Wants to Ban Semi-Automatic Weapons-What Is a Semi-Automatic Weapon?

When you get right down to it, when the 2nd amendment was written the weapons in private homes were exactly the same as those used in the military. Just banning automatic weapons was the start of the erosion of the rights under the amendment.
Repeat it loud and clear!
that is the question that was asked in miller

was his shotgun of use to the military

it was sent back to the lower courts to find out

the question was never answered

When you get right down to it, when the 2nd amendment was written the weapons in private homes were exactly the same as those used in the military. Just banning automatic weapons was the start of the erosion of the rights under the amendment.

Ridiculous. But always being positive, you can pick up a 870 on the cheap right now.

Ridiculous. But always being positive, you can pick up a 870 on the cheap right now.

that was the question that was not answered

the lower court said his sawed off shotgun was a useful military weapon

making it a protected class of firearms and let miller off the hook

so it was appealed to the SC

the SC found that

no evidence was offered in the lower court to prove a short barreled shotgun

was a common military weapon

so the SC could not make a determination

and remanded the case back to the lower court

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument.

United States v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174 (1939)

All the derps that don't know the definition of all these things don't worry the courts will decide it. Don't worry your pretty little heads over it.

would an M16 be a useful instrument to the militia

washinggun.jpg

John Paul Stevens in a NYT editorial advocated the banning of not assault rifles but semi-automatic weapons.

So can we define a what a semi automatic weapon is because as far I know and since I am not a gun owner and really don’t know guns, aren’t most hand guns semi-automatic?

So this to me sounds like a ban on most guns, is this correct?

I have been for more control and better background checks but I see the left wanting to ban guns all together and I am seeing the right wing being rightfully cautious.

It means banning all firearms where you don't have to reload after every single shot. That pretty much eliminates ALL handguns and rifles except for bolt action rifles most often used for hunting big game.

John Paul Stevens in a NYT editorial advocated the banning of not assault rifles but semi-automatic weapons.

So can we define a what a semi automatic weapon is because as far I know and since I am not a gun owner and really don’t know guns, aren’t most hand guns semi-automatic?

I have been for more control and better background checks but I see the left wanting to ban guns all together and I am seeing the right wing being rightfully cautious.

A double action revolver is technically a semi auto, a new round is advanced and fired with each trigger pull.

the SC found that

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument.

They were used a lot by tunnel rats in Vietnam.

_NRA12.jpg

Sorry, a fat redneck with high capacity round mag semi with a folding stock just isn't a well-regulated militia.. :113:

Last edited:
All the proof you need to know that morons get appointed to the Supreme Court. Sometimes even by Republicans.

A moron appointed another moron to the Supreme court. Gerald Ford appointed Stevens.

Last edited:
All the proof you need to know that morons get appointed to the Supreme Court. Sometimes even by Republicans.

A moron appointed another moron to the Supreme court. Gerald Ford appointed Stevens.

As bad an appointment that was it doesn't come close to being as shiitty as those two idiots that Obama appointed. Talk about two dizzy broads that don't have a clue but they are it. The worst Supreme Court Justice appointments ever. We will be paying for Obama's stupidity and agenda of Left wing hate for a couple of more decades.

the SC found that

They were used a lot by tunnel rats in Vietnam.

exactly they had been useful to the military in Millers day

You are correct, it does mean most guns.

A revolver or single shot rifle means you need to put a new round (bullet) in a chamber before you can fire. A revolver does that automatically by revolving the rounds you put in it.

A semi-automatic means the rounds load themselves. When you squeeze the trigger, a round goes off and a new one is automatically put into the chamber.
even a revolver *could* be considered a semi-automatic (dual action) since it moved the bullet into firing position for you.

It means banning all firearms where you don't have to reload after every single shot. That pretty much eliminates ALL handguns and rifles except for bolt action rifles most often used for hunting big game.
and it's the biggest reason for my giggles in here when people like OldLady say "we're not coming for your guns!" when all signs show they sure are.

You are correct, it does mean most guns.

A revolver or single shot rifle means you need to put a new round (bullet) in a chamber before you can fire. A revolver does that automatically by revolving the rounds you put in it.

A semi-automatic means the rounds load themselves. When you squeeze the trigger, a round goes off and a new one is automatically put into the chamber.
even a revolver *could* be considered a semi-automatic (dual action) since it moved the bullet into firing position for you.

indeed

and it's the biggest reason for my giggles in here when people like OldLady say "we're not coming for your guns!" when all signs show they sure are.

I don’t own any guns and have no desire to, that said, the Constitution is quite clear and I think the left’s BS about not coming after guns is pure BS, because that is exactly their intent and now I understand why no one wants to give an inch because the left wants it ALL!

Forum List

Back