Ex-Supreme Court Justice Wants to Ban Semi-Automatic Weapons-What Is a Semi-Automatic Weapon?

Just curious, why do you care if you have one? Seems like overkill for pretty much any civilian situation
The .223/5.56 is most definitely NOT overkill. They are easy to use and reliable. I would much rather use that than a handgun in a home defense situation. If it works well for people who are not good at using guns, why would we take it away from them?
The only times I've ever heard of anyone using these types of weapons is to shoot up a school or something similar. Seems to me that if they are the go-to guns for mass murderers, you'd want to do something about that.

And in close combat as in a house where someone just broke in, I'd use a handgun as they're easier to maneuver in tight situations.

Well, if that's the only time you've heard of anyone using such weapons, I guess that's all they are used for...or, you don't pay very good attention. Either way, your opinion is less than worthless based on your admitted ignorance.

The only times I've ever heard of anyone using these types of weapons is to shoot up a school or something similar. Seems to me that if they are the go-to guns for mass murderers, you'd want to do something about that.
Because it's 24/7 blasted on the goddamn news. Of course you know the weapon. Had you ever heard of it before 5 years ago?
And in close combat as in a house where someone just broke in, I'd use a handgun as they're easier to maneuver in tight situations.
But a rifle is easier to aim and shoot accurately, especially under stress. You are making the case for repealing the Short-Barrel Rifle restriction.

Also, most home-defense situations do not involve the defender hunting down the intruder. It's the reverse.

Just curious, why do you care if you have one? Seems like overkill for pretty much any civilian situation
The .223/5.56 is most definitely NOT overkill. They are easy to use and reliable. I would much rather use that than a handgun in a home defense situation. If it works well for people who are not good at using guns, why would we take it away from them?

1 - it's the #1 sporting rifle in the country these days. but due to the look people go nuts on them.
2 - because you've not heard of it much would indicate you don't follow guns in general and since the news doesn't say anything BUT bad things about them, what other conclusion can you come to IF this is your only source?
3 - people use what they're comfortable with. gun, pistol, shotgun, a 5lb bucket of rocks...

John Paul Stevens in a NYT editorial advocated the banning of not assault rifles but semi-automatic weapons.

So can we define a what a semi automatic weapon is because as far I know and since I am not a gun owner and really don’t know guns, aren’t most hand guns semi-automatic?

So this to me sounds like a ban on most guns, is this correct?

I have been for more control and better background checks but I see the left wanting to ban guns all together and I am seeing the right wing being rightfully cautious.

It means banning all firearms where you don't have to reload after every single shot. That pretty much eliminates ALL handguns and rifles except for bolt action rifles most often used for hunting big game.
and it's the biggest reason for my giggles in here when people like OldLady say "we're not coming for your guns!" when all signs show they sure are.
One retired Supreme Court justice decides to say the Big Dirty just to stir up the hive, and now EVERYONE IS AFTER ALL OUR GUNS.
:auiqs.jpg:

I realize YOU are not after their guns, but you're blind if you don't see the signs calling for the repeal of the 2nd Amendment and the effort to vilify gun owners so they can be marginalized and segregated is obvious as well. What you seem to not realize is that if the anti-gun movement can take away established rights in this case, they can take away established rights in all cases. Look at what's happened to our privacy since 9/11/01. Your phone calls are monitored and recorded for review by the NSA. We must take a stand and then roll back the invasions of our privacy.

John Paul Stevens in a NYT editorial advocated the banning of not assault rifles but semi-automatic weapons.

So can we define a what a semi automatic weapon is because as far I know and since I am not a gun owner and really don’t know guns, aren’t most hand guns semi-automatic?

I have been for more control and better background checks but I see the left wanting to ban guns all together and I am seeing the right wing being rightfully cautious.

It means banning all firearms where you don't have to reload after every single shot. That pretty much eliminates ALL handguns and rifles except for bolt action rifles most often used for hunting big game.
and it's the biggest reason for my giggles in here when people like OldLady say "we're not coming for your guns!" when all signs show they sure are.
One retired Supreme Court justice decides to say the Big Dirty just to stir up the hive, and now EVERYONE IS AFTER ALL OUR GUNS.

I realize YOU are not after their guns, but you're blind if you don't see the signs calling for the repeal of the 2nd Amendment and the effort to vilify gun owners so they can be marginalized and segregated is obvious as well. What you seem to not realize is that if the anti-gun movement can take away established rights in this case, they can take away established rights in all cases. Look at what's happened to our privacy since 9/11/01. Your phone calls are monitored and recorded for review by the NSA. We must take a stand and then roll back the invasions of our privacy.
the government seldom gives rights back that's for sure.

For a long time I have thought those on the right that claimed the left was coming for our guns were exaggerating, now I apologize because this is exactly what the left would like to do.

Democrats are like terrorists in a way. They are very patient people; they use incrementalism.

They are totally aware that our gun rights are protected by the Constitution, so they seek ways to sneak around that document.

So now, their complaints are about bump stocks, AR's and like, and high capacity magazines. Instead of going after all guns, they are trying to confiscate guns little by little.

First it's the AR. Next it will be all semi-automatic handguns. Then high capacity magazines. Then revolvers that hold more than five rounds.

You know this judge is a Republican...

This is not a Democrat thing...

For a long time I have thought those on the right that claimed the left was coming for our guns were exaggerating, now I apologize because this is exactly what the left would like to do.

Democrats are like terrorists in a way. They are very patient people; they use incrementalism.

They are totally aware that our gun rights are protected by the Constitution, so they seek ways to sneak around that document.

So now, their complaints are about bump stocks, AR's and like, and high capacity magazines. Instead of going after all guns, they are trying to confiscate guns little by little.

First it's the AR. Next it will be all semi-automatic handguns. Then high capacity magazines. Then revolvers that hold more than five rounds.

You know this judge is a Republican...

This is not a Democrat thing...
aw hell no. both sides have their share of dumbasses. we just tend to gloss over our sides and focus on their sides and pretend all on "the other side" are the same dumbass.

much easier to stereotype than understand.

do you intentionally keep missing the bill put in play recently to ban semi-automatic guns?

GIGGILE GIGGLE HA HA AT YOU TEE HEE TEE HEE.

i'll bet it's kinda stupid when i do it but you're the clever one for acting 12.

House Democrats introduce bill prohibiting sale of semi-automatic weapons

once again since you keep selectively missing this shit.

and again cause you do tend to gloss over facts you don't like.

fuckers are coming for guns. only an idiot would be denying it at this point.

go ahead. deny it again.

They expected that to pass about as much as the Republicans expected to repeal Obamacare while Obama was in office.
If they caught that car, they'd shit themselves.
i don't care. they are openly stating they are coming for them. damn good thing it won't pass but if you're NOT coming for guns, you'd NEVER put this in play.

no one is falling for the shit anymore so give it up with the "giggle, no one is coming for your guns, giggle" shit.

just because they're not going to succeed doesn't mean they're not trying now does it?
Where did the "giggle" come from? I never giggle in gun control threads. Someone might shoot me.
Ex-Supreme Court Justice Wants to Ban Semi-Automatic Weapons-What Is a Semi-Automatic Weapon?

you don't even know what you do. i guess this is more of a "guffaw" than a giggle. but you're busy laughing at the truth and trying to get people to not realize you're full of shit here. and of course you gotta get your SHOT in here and take pot-shots at gun owners now shooting you for disagreeing. last i checked, the libs were the ones doing that to senators playing softball.

*giggle*
Well, obviously, neither of us is in the mood to be serious today. Which is fine with me. I've shot all my ammunition, facts wise, and just get told I'm lying, so why bother? I'll raise a little hell instead, like most of the gun nutters.

do you intentionally keep missing the bill put in play recently to ban semi-automatic guns?

i'll bet it's kinda stupid when i do it but you're the clever one for acting 12.

go ahead. deny it again.

They expected that to pass about as much as the Republicans expected to repeal Obamacare while Obama was in office.
i don't care. they are openly stating they are coming for them. damn good thing it won't pass but if you're NOT coming for guns, you'd NEVER put this in play.

no one is falling for the shit anymore so give it up with the "giggle, no one is coming for your guns, giggle" shit.

just because they're not going to succeed doesn't mean they're not trying now does it?
Where did the "giggle" come from? I never giggle in gun control threads. Someone might shoot me.

you don't even know what you do. i guess this is more of a "guffaw" than a giggle. but you're busy laughing at the truth and trying to get people to not realize you're full of shit here. and of course you gotta get your SHOT in here and take pot-shots at gun owners now shooting you for disagreeing. last i checked, the libs were the ones doing that to senators playing softball.

*giggle*
Well, obviously, neither of us is in the mood to be serious today. Which is fine with me. I've shot all my ammunition, facts wise, and just get told I'm lying, so why bother? I'll raise a little hell instead, like most of the gun nutters.
ah hell, you tell me i'm lying all the time and yet that's ok.

you've got all pro-gun people into 1 pigeonhole and seem to get upset when that is challenged.

and yea, you can shoot off all your ammo pretty quick when you have none. if you've stated a fact, i've missed it - my bad. what facts are you speaking of in which people say you are lying?

honest question - i'd rather know then wonder.

*giggle*

you've got all pro-gun people into 1 pigeonhole and seem to get upset when that is challenged.

and yea, you can shoot off all your ammo pretty quick when you have none.
O quit sputtering, wouldja? It's too damned early in the morning for your whining. I don't use the damned "LIAR" reply unless it's true, and that's not usually you.

*giggle*

O quit sputtering, wouldja? It's too damned early in the morning for your whining. I don't use the damned "LIAR" reply unless it's true, and that's not usually you.
yea, you don't giggle either.

*giggle*.

funny, too early for my whining but yours can be in full gear and it's just talking, to you. maybe, just maybe, i'm just talking like you, but from a different perspective.

yet - look at you go. :)

_NRA12.jpg

Sorry, a fat redneck with high capacity round mag semi with a folding stock just isn't a well-regulated militia.. :113:

Thats your subjective opinion but antithetical to the second amendment. Also, this is the lib narrative projected on to all gun owners. This is why you have no credibility and as such will be ignored.

*giggle*

*giggle*.

funny, too early for my whining but yours can be in full gear and it's just talking, to you. maybe, just maybe, i'm just talking like you, but from a different perspective.

Look, buddy, you're the one who called me to this thread and then proceeded to give me a hard time for whatever I say.
All you're doing is trolling.
Gun control in this country is overdue and badly needed, but it is not just guns that need to be addressed. There is much work to do. We'll see if anyone bothers or if they just keep wasting their energy over squabbles of who's gonna shoot whom.

I don’t own any guns and have no desire to, that said, the Constitution is quite clear and I think the left’s BS about not coming after guns is pure BS, because that is exactly their intent and now I understand why no one wants to give an inch because the left wants it ALL!

The constitution doesn't restrict state governments as much as it restricts the federal government. But that still doesn't make the gun control nuts any better.

The incorporation doctrine says differently.

*giggle*

*giggle*.

Look, buddy, you're the one who called me to this thread and then proceeded to give me a hard time for whatever I say.
All you're doing is trolling.
Gun control in this country is overdue and badly needed, but it is not just guns that need to be addressed. There is much work to do. We'll see if anyone bothers or if they just keep wasting their energy over squabbles of who's gonna shoot whom.
did i or did i not ask you to present your facts because i wanted to understand what they were so we could talk about 'em?

yep. that was me. did you? i didn't see 'em. i see you continue to say you provide facts, but i never see the facts. so you can get pissed at me all you want cause our conversations go nowhere but maybe that's not JUST me, now is it?

go ahead. deny it again.

The point is that is what they want, why introduce a bill if that is not what you want to do? As time progresses I am seeing this attitude of wanting to confiscate guns. If they were wanting compromise as you seem to think they are, why the extreme talk and bill.

Forum List

Back