Existence

The physical phenomenon that the laws of nature describe are prescriptive in nature. You don't have a choice in not breaking them.
You have made no case that any natural phenomenon are prescriptive. That’s mere assertion on your part, totally unsupported and basically, nothing more than a retreat to religious dogma.
Actually it has nothing to do with religious dogma, but militant atheists see dogma hiding behind every bush.

The case has been made. I wouldn't expect you to agree with it.

Actually, it has everything to do with religious dogma. It was you demanding that natural phenomenon are prescriptive, yet you made no substantiated case for who, or what, prescribed those phenomenon.

The term “natural phenomenon” clearly does not allude to a supernatural entity, otherwise we would use the term “supernatural phenomenon”.

If you are suggesting that supernatural phenomenon are extant in the universe, make your case for the prescriber of that super-naturalism.

Or, describes limitations that simply exist.

Invoking them as constant, i.e. asking me about the speed of light....doesnt speak to prescriptive vs. descriptive...

and you just proved that your damn self

What a waste of time!
The limitation is the physical phenomenon itself which I am calling the Laws of Nature.

The Laws of Physics are used to estimate the numerical representation of the physical phenomenon that exists.
The limitation being a limitation can have 100 differing reasons......them being 'pre' scribed, i.e. provided by a being ~ being merely an assertion..... shy of proving said prescribor exists.

I know its really hard to grasp, cuz youre ding.
You're going in circles, dude. No matter how you try you can not deny that there are physical phenomenon that exist, that place limitations upon you, that you cannot break. You can play word games all day long. It doesn't change these facts.
Placed?

No, thats an assertion and implies cognition.

Its not word games, its that your ideas are malformed.

And the limitations arent hinging on whether or not theyre prescribed, or descriptions of what simply is ~ but for some odd reason you assume thats a logical argument.
You are quibbling with words, GT.

No matter how you try you can not deny that there are physical phenomenon that exist, that place limitations upon you, that you cannot break. You can play word games all day long. It doesn't change these facts.
Nor does calling them descriptions and not prescriptions even SPEAK to what you just said....

but Im glad youre now, albeit unwittingly, showing that you never understood the argument to begin with...which is why you invoked them as constants and thought that that was saying something.

The limitation is the physical phenomenon itself which I am calling the Laws of Nature.

The Laws of Physics are used to estimate the numerical representation of the physical phenomenon that exists.
The limitation being a limitation can have 100 differing reasons......them being 'pre' scribed, i.e. provided by a being ~ being merely an assertion..... shy of proving said prescribor exists.

You're going in circles, dude. No matter how you try you can not deny that there are physical phenomenon that exist, that place limitations upon you, that you cannot break. You can play word games all day long. It doesn't change these facts.
Placed?

And the limitations arent hinging on whether or not theyre prescribed, or descriptions of what simply is ~ but for some odd reason you assume thats a logical argument.

No matter how you try you can not deny that there are physical phenomenon that exist, that place limitations upon you, that you cannot break. You can play word games all day long. It doesn't change these facts.
Nor does calling them descriptions and not prescriptions even SPEAK to what you just said....

but Im glad youre now, albeit unwittingly, showing that you never understood the argument to begin with...which is why you invoked them as constants and thought that that was saying something.
You're going in circles, dude. No matter how you try you can not deny that there are physical phenomenon that exist, that prescribe limitations upon you, that you cannot break. You can play word games all day long. It doesn't change these facts.

Placed?

You're going in circles, dude. No matter how you try you can not deny that there are physical phenomenon that exist, that prescribe limitations upon you, that you cannot break. You can play word games all day long. It doesn't change these facts.
prescribe vs describe is not a word game ..it shows that youre incapable of adequate reasoning.

i said prove theyre prescriptions and not merely descriptions....and you think that pointing out that theyre laws somehow does that

thats not accurate, and thats not a word game...it means youre literally incapable of reasoning.

to prove theyre prescribed, youd have to 1st prove theres a prescribor

The physical phenomenon that the laws of nature describe are prescriptive in nature. You don't have a choice in not breaking them.
The first and second sentence dont have any rational connection whatsoever.

The 1st is an assertion, the second is an observation.
I don't think existence can be boiled down to such a simple question. This is a two part thread, we EXIST (part 1) How did we come to exist? (part 2).
We exist, things evolve, things change and I don't believe there was an "origin" of the universe. There ever going process that is eternal. And beyond our understanding.
The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics says that is not possible.
Well, laws of physics are being redefined all the time. But I have to agree with Shakespeare. There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophies. Physics will continue to evolve, and they will discover new laws that will alter our perception. We have a lot to learn.

Actually, it has everything to do with religious dogma. It was you demanding that natural phenomenon are prescriptive, yet you made no substantiated case for who, or what, prescribed those phenomenon.
No. Actually it was a rebuttal to post #77. Was GT demanding the laws of physics are prescriptive when he wrote post #77? But just to be clear, feel free to believe whatever you want.

upload_2017-11-26_20-9-2.png

The term “natural phenomenon” clearly does not allude to a supernatural entity, otherwise we would use the term “supernatural phenomenon”.
No one said it did and I'll use whatever words I want. You worry about yourself. Fair enough?

If you are suggesting that supernatural phenomenon are extant in the universe, make your case for the prescriber of that super-naturalism.
Supernatural phenomenon are extant in the universe? When did I make that claim?

You have a nasty habit of putting words in other people's mouths.

The first and second sentence dont have any rational connection whatsoever.

The 1st is an assertion, the second is an observation.
I don't think existence can be boiled down to such a simple question. This is a two part thread, we EXIST (part 1) How did we come to exist? (part 2).
We exist, things evolve, things change and I don't believe there was an "origin" of the universe. There ever going process that is eternal. And beyond our understanding.
The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics says that is not possible.
Well, laws of physics are being redefined all the time.
Like which ones?

All states of being have cause.

What caused the initial state of existence?
The only logical answer is a Creator. But those who reject God believe the big lie so that they can sleep at night, because they know that they have rejected God, and they know the price that they must pay.

"The only logical answer is a Creator"

That's not a logical answer. It merely replaces one mystery with another. It's a NON-answer.

The question implies the answer. that is: there wasn't a "beginning". I think it's that simple.

No logic supports that.

"No logic supports that."

I think I'll chalk this up to lack of effort on your part, as one can craft an argument by contradiction that there was no beginning:

The universe is deterministic, with unchanging laws.
Therefore, every event has a cause.
Therefore, there could not have been a "first event", as a first event would violate determinism.
Therefore, the universe had no beginning.

You have made no case that any natural phenomenon are prescriptive. That’s mere assertion on your part, totally unsupported and basically, nothing more than a retreat to religious dogma.
Actually it has nothing to do with religious dogma, but militant atheists see dogma hiding behind every bush.

Ding, this has NOTHING to do with being an atheist. Your basic assertions simply aren't logical.

As for the Big Bang being the outcome of a black hole, who knows where I heard it. I asked you to explain if I was wrong. But I probably wouldn't understand it anyway.

The question implies the answer. that is: there wasn't a "beginning". I think it's that simple.

No logic supports that.

I think I'll chalk this up to lack of effort on your part, as one can craft an argument by contradiction that there was no beginning:

Therefore, there could not have been a "first event", as a first event would violate determinism.

My question did not concern a beginning for the universe. My question asks why does the state of existence exist?

No logic supports that.

My question did not concern a beginning for the universe. My question asks why does the state of existence exist?

You said, "no logic supports that" in response to, "There wasnt a beginning". I think I demonstrated quite neatly that you were incorrect to say this.

And you are being dishonest. Your question did NOT ask "why" existence exists, but rather what caused the beginning of existence. Re-read post #1 of the thread.

Clearly the argument that it had no beginning is relevant to this discussion.

No logic supports that.

You said, "no logic supports that" in response to, "There wasnt a beginning". I think I demonstrated quite neatly that you were incorrect to say this.

Nope. The response was to Meryl's claim that there was no beginning to the state of existence.

And you are being dishonest. Your question did NOT ask "why" existence exists, but rather what caused the beginning of existence.

Nope. I see no difference between "What caused the initial state of existence? and "Why does existence exist?"

If you do, explain.

I agree, but logic indicates that to have a beginning, there must be a state prior to that beginning.

No logic supports that.

Nope. The response was to Meryl's claim that there was no beginning to the state of existence.

And you are being dishonest. Your question did NOT ask "why" existence exists, but rather what caused the beginning of existence.

Nope. I see no difference between "What caused the initial state of existence? and "Why does existence exist?"

If you do, explain.

I agree, but logic indicates that to have a beginning, there must be a state prior to that beginning.

"The response was to Meryl's claim that there was no beginning to the state of existence."

Yes, I know. You said no logic supported that, which was incorrect.

"I see no difference between "What caused the initial state of existence? and "Why does existence exist?""

Then that is an error on your part. Unless you would like to now declare that the "how" always IS the "why", which would remove the error, and in which case I might not disagree.

"I agree, but logic indicates that to have a beginning, there must be a state prior to that beginning."

That is precisely the opposite of what logic would dictate, by the definition of "beginning". Who was winning the race, before it began? In this case, the race is "eberything there is".

Last edited:

Ding, this has NOTHING to do with being an atheist. Your basic assertions simply aren't logical.

As for the Big Bang being the outcome of a black hole, who knows where I heard it. I asked you to explain if I was wrong. But I probably wouldn't understand it anyway.
In Hollie's case it absolutely does.

You wouldn't understand it because you don't even know why you believed it in the first place. Tell me where I am wrong.

No logic supports that.

If you do, explain.

"The response was to Meryl's claim that there was no beginning to the state of existence."

"I see no difference between "What caused the initial state of existence? and "Why does existence exist?""

Then that is an error on your part. Unless you would like to now declare that the "how" always IS the "why", which would remove the error, and in which case I might not disagree.

"I agree, but logic indicates that to have a beginning, there must be a state prior to that beginning."

That is precisely the opposite of what logic would dictate, by the definition of "beginning". Who was winning the race, before it began? In this case, the race is "eberything there is".

I will reply, but first please format your response in the traditional manner. Too many unassigned statements make it unclear to others who the speakers are.

If you do, explain.

I will reply, but first please format your response in the traditional manner. Too many unassigned statements make it unclear to others who the speakers are.

Not sure what you are asking there, but those are all your statements. "traditional manner"...?

If you do, explain.

Not sure what you are asking there, but those are all your statements. "traditional manner"...?

Quotes in named quote boxes, as in the section above your response. Keeps the authors clearly separated.

Too much work to edit, otherwise.

Forum List

Back