Experts warn store prices will soar and shelves will be empty as greedy dockworkers strike over 80% pay raise

The union is demanding $69 an hour, base pay. That's just greedy.

The last time the International Longshoremen’s Association went on strike in 1977, it won an 80 cent an hour raise. That works out to about $4 an hour in today’s dollars. ILA President Harold Daggett indicated Tuesday that the union might have accepted an increase like that without going on strike.

Daggett said Tuesday morning that the Biden administration had urged the two sides to accept a $4 an hour increase, in an effort to avert a strike.

“We thought about it,” Daggett said. But he said the United States Maritime Alliance, which is the management group representing ship lines, terminal operators and ports and operates under the acronym USMX, balked at that, and would only agree to raises totaling $18 an hour during the life of the contract, or about a $3 an hour per year.

The union boss is promising to cripple the country. Should he be able to do that?
Give those workers $1 more an hour. They want $4 hr raise. The company says no, $3. So if the port shuts down, it's the owners fault.

Who are the owners? They are represented by USMX. A non profit. But who are the owners? We'd like to take a closer look at their finances. I bet they are mafia. So either pay up or we will expose you.

The union is demanding $69 an hour, base pay. That's just greedy.
To be fair, it’s only greedy if they can’t get it. No one calls you greedy if you sell your house for more than you bought it a few years ago.

Give those workers $1 more an hour. They want $4 hr raise. The company says no, $3. So if the port shuts down, it's the owners fault.

Who are the owners? They are represented by USMX. A non profit. But who are the owners? We'd like to take a closer look at their finances. I bet they are mafia. So either pay up or we will expose you.
No, they want a $30 an hour raise.

God you sure hope the shit hits the fan huh? October Surprise?

But don't forget how Trump handled his crisis. He ignored covid like it was the dinner check.

The shit's already hit the fan, commie. Now we're going to see how your cult leaders handle it. I'm not expecting anything good, or even competent.

The cost of living has skyrocketed under Harris and Xiden's deplorable leadership, so I understand the strike. It's sad and tragic though, more Americans will suffer because of it.....Demafacsit polices have a butterfly effect across the globe.

No. But please provide a link you russian troll.

What's 39+30?...

"Port workers earn some of the highest wages among blue-collar workers. Under the current contract with the East Coast union, a top-scale longshoreman could earn up to $39 an hour, which translates to about $81,000 a year. But many workers take overtime and extra shifts that have higher rates.

The ILA is asking for a $5-an-hour raise for each of the six years of the new contract, which means the hourly rate could reach $69 by 2030, a 77% raise. The union is also asking for better benefits and is opposing the use of automated technologies at ports."

What's 39+30?...

"Port workers earn some of the highest wages among blue-collar workers. Under the current contract with the East Coast union, a top-scale longshoreman could earn up to $39 an hour, which translates to about $81,000 a year. But many workers take overtime and extra shifts that have higher rates.

The ILA is asking for a $5-an-hour raise for each of the six years of the new contract, which means the hourly rate could reach $69 by 2030, a 77% raise. The union is also asking for better benefits and is opposing the use of automated technologies at ports."

Barron's? What the fuck is Barron's? Sounds like a site for rich people.

Subscribe to continue reading your article.​

Got a link that I don't have to subscribe to?

I can tell your article is right wing spin by the headline. Many Dockworkers Make $150,000 or More. Why They’re Going on Strike.

Yea? Well many don't make 150,000. Why are the going on strike? To give the people who don't make $150,000 a year a $4 raise.

Show me they want to make $62,400 MORE a year than they make now. That's what a $30 hr raise would be. $62,000 a year. No one's asking for that. So I deem you a pants on fire liar.

I can tell your article is right wing spin by the headline. Many Dockworkers Make $150,000 or More. Why They’re Going on Strike.

Yea? Well many don't make 150,000. Why are the going on strike? To give the people who don't make $150,000 a year a $4 raise.

Show me they want to make $62,400 MORE a year than they make now. That's what a $30 hr raise would be. $62,000 a year. No one's asking for that. So I deem you a pants on fire liar.
Wow.....Barron's is one of the oldest and most well respected Finanicial publications in the history of the United States.

I gave you the proof. Tough shit if you can understand it.

Wow.....Barron's is one of the oldest and most well respected Finanicial publications in the history of the United States.

It used to be respected. This is a perfect example of how Rich lying Republicans have taken off all the media. A division of News Corp, since 1921

News Corp and 21st Century Fox are two companies that succeeded the original News Corp., which included Fox Entertainment Group and other broadcasting and media properties. The spin-out was structured so that 21CF was the legal continuation of the original News Corp., with the new News Corp being a new company formed by a stock split.

Since March 19, 2019, Fox Corporation, which holds 21st Century Fox's national broadcasting, news and sports assets (following its sale to Disney the next day), is also under the Murdoch family's control.

On September 21, 2023, Rupert Murdoch announced he would step down as News Corp's chairman by November.

Stop calling facts fake news while you spread fake news.

Let me know the next time it does a story that's pro labor.

Workers Feel Emboldened. It’s the Start of a New Labor Movement.​

By
Kenneth G. Pringle
Nov 03, 2021, 4:15 am EDT

A More Perfect Union Could Be Good for Workers and Investors​

By
Josh Wolfe
Oct 03, 2023, 2:00 am EDT

The Job Market Is a Lot Weaker Than Reported. What That Means for the Fed and Rate Cuts.

Forum List

Back