‘Explosive documents’ connect Christie, bridge scandal

Yurt, who does not follow his own advice most of the time (see my Sig), happens to be right this time.

CC, based on all of the evidence, was not in on it.

The only caveat is that Christie was lying during the press conference. If he had nothing to hide he would not have needed to be evasive. Right now his deniability defense is all he has but any of the ex-staffers could decide to rat him out for a more lenient sentencing.

Yurt, who does not follow his own advice most of the time (see my Sig), happens to be right this time.

The only caveat is that Christie was lying during the press conference. If he had nothing to hide he would not have needed to be evasive. Right now his deniability defense is all he has but any of the ex-staffers could decide to rat him out for a more lenient sentencing.

Did you mean "IF Christie was lying"? For, if you have proof he was, you need to link to it.

actually, can you cite where christie called or maintained radio silence. i just looked and can't find anything to back up your assertion.

Chris Christie's Bridge Scandal, Explained | Mother Jones

Numerous messages mock Fort Lee's mayor as he scrambled to learn the reason behind the closures from the Port Authority and spoke publicly about the closures in the aftermath. In one email sent the day of the closures, Wildstein assures Kelly that the Port Authority was responding to Sokolich with "Radio silence."

actually, can you cite where christie called or maintained radio silence. i just looked and can't find anything to back up your assertion.

Numerous messages mock Fort Lee's mayor as he scrambled to learn the reason behind the closures from the Port Authority and spoke publicly about the closures in the aftermath. In one email sent the day of the closures, Wildstein assures Kelly that the Port Authority was responding to Sokolich with "Radio silence."

I click on your link and it tries to slip a Trojan program onto my computer. Nice!

From your quote (cause I'm not going to the site now), it doesn't say the messages were to Christie. I see Wildstein and Kelly but not Christie.

Please try to not use such a site again. I don't need to look at rabidly partisan sites or have to clean crap off my computer. Thanks!

Did you mean "IF Christie was lying"? For, if you have proof he was, you need to link to it.

Here is Christie's problem. If he didn't know about this he is incompetent. His CLOSEST aides knew about it.

Full transcript: N.J. Gov. Chris Christie?s Jan. 9 news conference on George Washington Bridge scandal - The Washington Post

Secondly, I was disturbed by the tone and behavior and attitude of callous indifference that was displayed in the emails by my former campaign manager, Bill Stepien. And reading that, it made me lose my confidence in Bill's judgment. And you cannot have someone at the top of your political operation who you do not have confidence in. As a result, I've instructed Bill Stepien to not place his name in nomination for state party chairman, and he will not be considered for state party chairman, and I've instructed him to withdraw his consultancy with the Republican Governors Association. If I cannot trust someone's judgment, I cannot ask others to do so, and I would not place him at the head of my political operation because of the lack of judgment that was shown in the emails that were revealed yesterday.

That has also been communicated to Mr. Stepien last night. There's no doubt that Bill has been one of my closest advisers over the last five years. And so for that too I am sad today to have to take this action. But I also know that I have a job to do. And it's the job that I've asked the people of New Jersey to entrust me with. And I can never allow personal feelings or long-standing relationships to get in the way of doing my job the way it's appropriate to do it.

He trusted the judgement of his campaign manager for 5 long years but only now he decides that he can't when it is politically expedient to do so?

I brought my senior staff together I think about four weeks ago tomorrow. And I put to all of them one simple challenge: If there is any information that you know about the decision to close these lanes in Fort Lee, you have one hour to tell either my chief of staff, Kevin O'Dowd, or my chief counsel, Charlie McKenna.

And I told them that in an hour I was going to go out in a press conference. And if no one gave me other information to the contrary that I was going to say that no one on my staff was involved in this matter.

Over the course of the next hour, Kevin and Charlie interviewed each member of my senior staff, came back and reported to me that they all reported that there was no information other than what we already knew that had been testified to by Senator Baroni regarding this incident. I then questioned Kevin O'Dowd and Charlie McKenna directly, since they are the only two who report directly to me, and they assured me that they had no information that would change my ability to be able to say that no one, in response in Angie's (sp) question, on my staff was involved in this matter.

That was obviously a lie. And the emails that I saw for the first time yesterday morning, when they broken in I believe the Bergen Record story, proved that that was a lie

Well, let me tell you, everybody, I was blindsided yesterday morning. I was done with my workout yesterday morning and got a call from my communications director at about 8:50, 8:55, informing me of this story that had just broken on the Bergen Record website. That was the first time I knew about this. That was the first time I had seen any of the documents that were revealed yesterday.

This is political dissembling. Christie is telling a story that doesn't add up. When he had a press conference 4 weeks ago he used the story about it being a "traffic study" and now he is claiming to be "blindsided" by the emails.

If the NJ Legislature and the Port Authority were not buying the "story" about the "traffic study" then Christie should have been asking why they weren't. Instead he comes up with this "narrative" that makes it appear as though he put everyone on the carpet and now he is "blindsided". There is no way that is credible because during those 4 weeks the guilty parties would have been trying to cover their butts and that would have included "off the record" conversations with Christie.

Furthermore, unless Christie is a gullible fool, and he is far from being one, he would not have been satisfied with what he was hearing either. As a former prosecutor he should be able to spot a hole in a story in a heartbeat.

His answers were evasive and he is laying the blame for this on his staff. It defies credulity that none of his allegedly "trusted friends and advisers" told him the truth. It is also incredible to believe that his staff would concoct this plan without clearing it with him first. Was there no one there who considered the political ramifications if this became public knowledge? We aren't talking about neophytes here. These are political insiders. They would be well aware of the consequences so they would not have acted on their own authority. Someone higher up the food chain than Bridget Kelly came up with this scheme. I seriously doubt it was Christie's legal adviser so that leaves only Christie and his Chief of Staff. Given Christie's feud with the NJ Democratic legislature and the timing it all points back at Christie himself.

First, you haven't yet made the case that Christie shut the bridge down.

Second, the case hasn't been made that the delay caused the woman's death.

The first one is obviously the most important.

This is not to be construed as a defense of Christie for any of the many things he has in fact done wrong. However, I have not seen evidence that he did anything criminal in relation to the lane closings. Do you care about your credibility at all?

Where is your evidence that he knew about it happening when he could still have stopped it?

First, you haven't yet made the case that Christie shut the bridge down.
It has been established that the NJ Governors office shut down the bridge

Second, the case hasn't been made that the delay caused the woman's death.
She was 91. What the hell? Old people die and she wasn't going to live much longer anyway

It's looking as if you should get your taxes in order if Chris Christie wins the Oval Office.

This goes for the rest of you Demoncrats. :evil:

Just know that even though I am saddened that America is now a dictatorship through such displays, I will still chuckle a bit.

Does Christie have the morally bankrupt character needed to win the Oval Office? It looks like more and more that he does.

So you think America is now a dictatorship? How so? At what point did we finally cross the line?

I click on your link and it tries to slip a Trojan program onto my computer. Nice!

From your quote (cause I'm not going to the site now), it doesn't say the messages were to Christie. I see Wildstein and Kelly but not Christie.

Please try to not use such a site again. I don't need to look at rabidly partisan sites or have to clean crap off my computer. Thanks!

MotherJones is a reputable website. Your failure to have adequate virus protection software is your problem.

Gotta love it when the party of law and order defends criminals.

The man shut down the busiest bridge in the country to punish a Democratic Mayor whose only crime was supporting the Democratic candidate for governor.

A 91 year old woman died because first responders were delayed in reaching her.

Christie should be in prison.

(Republicans never tire of pointing out the corruption of democrats. Yet, when one of your party's most powerful leaders gets caught in one of the biggest acts of public corruption in my lifetime, they protect him.)

(Republicans lack moral courage)

nice try. the first responders said she did not die as a result of any delay.

sucks to be you.

says nothing about christie

next

Full transcript: N.J. Gov. Chris Christie?s Jan. 9 news conference on George Washington Bridge scandal - The Washington Post

Secondly, I was disturbed by the tone and behavior and attitude of callous indifference that was displayed in the emails by my former campaign manager, Bill Stepien. And reading that, it made me lose my confidence in Bill's judgment. And you cannot have someone at the top of your political operation who you do not have confidence in. As a result, I've instructed Bill Stepien to not place his name in nomination for state party chairman, and he will not be considered for state party chairman, and I've instructed him to withdraw his consultancy with the Republican Governors Association. If I cannot trust someone's judgment, I cannot ask others to do so, and I would not place him at the head of my political operation because of the lack of judgment that was shown in the emails that were revealed yesterday.

That has also been communicated to Mr. Stepien last night. There's no doubt that Bill has been one of my closest advisers over the last five years. And so for that too I am sad today to have to take this action. But I also know that I have a job to do. And it's the job that I've asked the people of New Jersey to entrust me with. And I can never allow personal feelings or long-standing relationships to get in the way of doing my job the way it's appropriate to do it.

He trusted the judgement of his campaign manager for 5 long years but only now he decides that he can't when it is politically expedient to do so?

I brought my senior staff together I think about four weeks ago tomorrow. And I put to all of them one simple challenge: If there is any information that you know about the decision to close these lanes in Fort Lee, you have one hour to tell either my chief of staff, Kevin O'Dowd, or my chief counsel, Charlie McKenna.

And I told them that in an hour I was going to go out in a press conference. And if no one gave me other information to the contrary that I was going to say that no one on my staff was involved in this matter.

Over the course of the next hour, Kevin and Charlie interviewed each member of my senior staff, came back and reported to me that they all reported that there was no information other than what we already knew that had been testified to by Senator Baroni regarding this incident. I then questioned Kevin O'Dowd and Charlie McKenna directly, since they are the only two who report directly to me, and they assured me that they had no information that would change my ability to be able to say that no one, in response in Angie's (sp) question, on my staff was involved in this matter.

That was obviously a lie. And the emails that I saw for the first time yesterday morning, when they broken in I believe the Bergen Record story, proved that that was a lie

Well, let me tell you, everybody, I was blindsided yesterday morning. I was done with my workout yesterday morning and got a call from my communications director at about 8:50, 8:55, informing me of this story that had just broken on the Bergen Record website. That was the first time I knew about this. That was the first time I had seen any of the documents that were revealed yesterday.

This is political dissembling. Christie is telling a story that doesn't add up. When he had a press conference 4 weeks ago he used the story about it being a "traffic study" and now he is claiming to be "blindsided" by the emails.

If the NJ Legislature and the Port Authority were not buying the "story" about the "traffic study" then Christie should have been asking why they weren't. Instead he comes up with this "narrative" that makes it appear as though he put everyone on the carpet and now he is "blindsided". There is no way that is credible because during those 4 weeks the guilty parties would have been trying to cover their butts and that would have included "off the record" conversations with Christie.

Furthermore, unless Christie is a gullible fool, and he is far from being one, he would not have been satisfied with what he was hearing either. As a former prosecutor he should be able to spot a hole in a story in a heartbeat.

His answers were evasive and he is laying the blame for this on his staff. It defies credulity that none of his allegedly "trusted friends and advisers" told him the truth. It is also incredible to believe that his staff would concoct this plan without clearing it with him first. Was there no one there who considered the political ramifications if this became public knowledge? We aren't talking about neophytes here. These are political insiders. They would be well aware of the consequences so they would not have acted on their own authority. Someone higher up the food chain than Bridget Kelly came up with this scheme. I seriously doubt it was Christie's legal adviser so that leaves only Christie and his Chief of Staff. Given Christie's feud with the NJ Democratic legislature and the timing it all points back at Christie himself.

how would he know if a trusted high ranking staff member lied to him? do you think the governor of a state is concerned about road closures, one that lasted only four days. please.

Here is Christie's problem. If he didn't know about this he is incompetent. His CLOSEST aides knew about it.

how is he incompetent if he was lied to? you do realize this was done by the port authority in both NY and NJ. that would make it reasonable to believe the closure was legit as two states were involved.

nothing incompetent about being lied to.

how is he incompetent if he was lied to? you do realize this was done by the port authority in both NY and NJ. that would make it reasonable to believe the closure was legit as two states were involved.

nothing incompetent about being lied to.
It was not both.

It was the city of Fort Lee, that was essentially turned into a parking lot, for four days.

On the first day of school.

During the anniversary of 9/11.

On an order from Christies office.

says nothing about christie

next

What is says about him is that he failed to address a major problem in his own state. That is a dereliction of duty.

how would he know if a trusted high ranking staff member lied to him? do you think the governor of a state is concerned about road closures, one that lasted only four days. please.

We still only have Christie's word that anyone lied to him.

When a "road closure" causes problems with interstate commerce and prevents 1st responders from being able to carry out their duties then he should be concerned when it persists for 4 days.

MotherJones is a reputable website. Your failure to have adequate virus protection software is your problem.

Mother Jones is a legitimate left wing extreme propaganda cite. I give it as much credibility as the right wing propaganda cites. Which is none!

Forum List

Back