Facts About Judaism

One of the flaws of religions of revelation is so called sacred texts which were written under the guise of God. And therefore, they must be completely accurate and truthful. But they were written by people based on their perceptions and contain some unreliable things (made up stories).

Let's remember the Plagues of Egypt. It is hard to imagine that these events underwent without notice of Egyptian historians of the time. But there is no mention of them in the literature.

What do the religious Jews feel about that? How is this explained?

The Thera eruption is my favourite pet theory.
I think you understand that the earthquake couldn't cause the Plagues as they were depicted. It may well be though that this natural event and its consequences caused the creation of some myth about it afterwards. But in this case one should admit that the Plagues are only a myth which was influenced by a natural event and adopted to a certain ideological line.

you make no point-----in fact jewish scholars do sophistry just as well as do Christian scholars. -------HEAVEN MADE IT HAPPEN---IT WAS ORDAINED
You want to discuss the idiot myths that
surround DA CRUCIFIXION OF DA CHRIST?
There are certain things that were preordained so to speak. For instance, life was preordained. Intelligence was preordained. Both are written into the laws of nature.

Reason and logic were preordained.

so sad-------not all of the creation gets to share in the pre-ordained GLORY
I guess that depends why you believe creation exists in the first place.

If you believe as I do creation does share in the glory as creation literally became self aware.

One of the flaws of religions of revelation is so called sacred texts which were written under the guise of God. And therefore, they must be completely accurate and truthful. But they were written by people based on their perceptions and contain some unreliable things (made up stories).

Let's remember the Plagues of Egypt. It is hard to imagine that these events underwent without notice of Egyptian historians of the time. But there is no mention of them in the literature.

I think you understand that the earthquake couldn't cause the Plagues as they were depicted. It may well be though that this natural event and its consequences caused the creation of some myth about it afterwards. But in this case one should admit that the Plagues are only a myth which was influenced by a natural event and adopted to a certain ideological line.

you make no point-----in fact jewish scholars do sophistry just as well as do Christian scholars. -------HEAVEN MADE IT HAPPEN---IT WAS ORDAINED
You want to discuss the idiot myths that
surround DA CRUCIFIXION OF DA CHRIST?
No, thanks. Christian myths aren't any better.

What historian is going to note that God made a fool of him?

What historian is going to note that God made a fool of him?
Well, who knows? That depends on personal perception, it seems. There is someone who is okay with the world having been created 6000 years ago or so. There is someone who is okay to think that dinos' remnants were created by the devil to shake their beliefs. There is someone who is okay with scientific reasoning and logic. Everyone chooses for oneself.

Every mostly Jewish neighborhood in the US is safe and wealthy. You don’t see Jew on Jew crime.
If I am not mistaken, some Jewish neighborhoods are one of the poorest in the US.
You’re mistaken
Kiryas Joel, New York - Wikipedia

Maybe this can be an example. Though criminal rates there are low, indeed.

Tiny minority of Hasidics aka religious freaks. Find a mostly Jewish neighborhood of moderate Jews who live normal lives that is not wealthy. Just one. I'll wait patiently.

The Thera eruption could very likely cause a number of environmental disasters which would be similar to conditions described as the Plagues. They might not be exactly the same, they might not have occurred in the same order, they may have been embellished to suit the story and, importantly, the purpose of the story.

Requiring ancient historical documents and traditions to exactly match modern scientific probabilities in reconstruction of an historical natural disaster in order for them to hold any value or any truth, seems a bit much to ask.

Certainly arguing that the Plagues are a myth influenced by a natural event would be a reasonable stance to take for one not invested in the faith and religious tenets of Judaism.

Was that your point?

http://www.jewfaq.org/index.shtml

Many people know very little about Judaism. This site will answer most any questions you have.
Not all Jews do things exactly the same. There are 3 main denominations:Orthodox, Conservative and Reform. Orthodox are the most dedicated of the 3. Reform are the most casual.

Jews are a tiny minority. There are only 13 million Jews worldwide, which represents only 0.2% of the population.

I am personally 0.5% Jewish of the Ashkenazi denomination, and I know very little about the faith, even though I am 5 times as Jewish as Pocahontas is Indian. By all kinds I should wear a yarmulke and claim to be a member of the learned elders of Zion, but I wouldn't feel it would be right.

The Thera eruption could very likely cause a number of environmental disasters which would be similar to conditions described as the Plagues. They might not be exactly the same, they might not have occurred in the same order, they may have been embellished to suit the story and, importantly, the purpose of the story.

Requiring ancient historical documents and traditions to exactly match modern scientific probabilities in reconstruction of an historical natural disaster in order for them to hold any value or any truth, seems a bit much to ask.

Certainly arguing that the Plagues are a myth influenced by a natural event would be a reasonable stance to take for one not invested in the faith and religious tenets of Judaism.

Was that your point?
Yes, it was.

I even add more. In my view, reason and logic were given to people not for nothing. Thanks to these 'gifts' people can explore the environment and comprehend God (I want to underline that this comprehension will be limited in any case).

I don't know why asking about historical evidence is a bit much to ask. I understand and agree that the abilities of people in those times to gather and preserve the accuracy of events were far limited than we have now.

But to say that these events faded away completely from people 's memory, especially considering that they happened in relatively modern period of Ancient Egypt...

I don't know why people still hold to the views which can be considered unreasonable but which exist in the sacred texts. In my opinion it would be far greater if one prominent religious figure said - 'Guys, we have the scriptures which were thought to have been written under the direct guise of God. But they were written by people who wrote according to their own perception and comprehension. And these things may be partially mythical and made up stories. So, to distinguish these parts we should use reason and contemporary knowledge'.

And it would be not a recognition of the flaws of the religion. On the contrary, it would be a very strong step, and the honest one. Reason was given by God to exoplore our world and what is behind it. And to behave in the way that is contrary to it is... a sin?

Every mostly Jewish neighborhood in the US is safe and wealthy. You don’t see Jew on Jew crime.
If I am not mistaken, some Jewish neighborhoods are one of the poorest in the US.
You’re mistaken

Tiny minority of Hasidics aka religious freaks. Find a mostly Jewish neighborhood of moderate Jews who live normal lives that is not wealthy. Just one. I'll wait patiently.
There was time when some of my neighbors were Jews. They resettled to the US and Israel. I can say nothing bad about them.

You don't like Hasids? Who are they for you? The strictest adherents to the relugious rules or some sorts of deviants?

You’re mistaken

There was time when some of my neighbors were Jews. They resettled to the US and Israel. I can say nothing bad about them.

You don't like Hasids? Who are they for you? The strictest adherents to the relugious rules or some sorts of deviants?
I dislike all religious fanatics.

In my opinion it would be far greater if one prominent religious figure said - 'Guys, we have the scriptures which were thought to have been written under the direct guise of God. But they were written by people who wrote according to their own perception and comprehension. And these things may be partially mythical and made up stories. So, to distinguish these parts we should use reason and contemporary knowledge'.
This is basically the position of the Catholic Church, but keep in mind the Church has no problem at all if people choose to take everything literally, either. Catholics believe scripture is written by man, but inspired by God. People who research and delve deeply into the history, culture, and languages of Biblical times quickly understand that ancient people did not write all accounts in Factual, Encyclopedia style. They wove stories, and in my opinion, remain some of the best storytellers of all time. The truth they relate differ from facts because they are teaching lessons, not science. Definitely, we should use this perspective, not the perspective of 21st Century Modern English Science and Historical Textbooks.

Was that your point?
Yes, it was.

I even add more. In my view, reason and logic were given to people not for nothing. Thanks to these 'gifts' people can explore the environment and comprehend God (I want to underline that this comprehension will be limited in any case).

I don't know why asking about historical evidence is a bit much to ask. I understand and agree that the abilities of people in those times to gather and preserve the accuracy of events were far limited than we have now.

But to say that these events faded away completely from people 's memory, especially considering that they happened in relatively modern period of Ancient Egypt...

I don't know why people still hold to the views which can be considered unreasonable but which exist in the sacred texts. In my opinion it would be far greater if one prominent religious figure said - 'Guys, we have the scriptures which were thought to have been written under the direct guise of God. But they were written by people who wrote according to their own perception and comprehension. And these things may be partially mythical and made up stories. So, to distinguish these parts we should use reason and contemporary knowledge'.

And it would be not a recognition of the flaws of the religion. On the contrary, it would be a very strong step, and the honest one. Reason was given by God to exoplore our world and what is behind it. And to behave in the way that is contrary to it is... a sin?

Well, if you think about it, it is quite a complicated marriage you are trying to put together. We have the people who witnessed the events, from the perspective of an oppressed people miraculously receiving salvation. We have the people who witnessed the events, from the perspective of the mightiest Empire to have ever existed up until then, brought to their knees with what to them must have seemed to be the ending of the world. We have the impressions and interpretations of all the storytellers and commentators and students of both history and faith layered in over thousands of years. And you are trying to marry that with the needs of a faith community in 2019.

You can't expect it to be literal and simplistic. Certainly, Judaism doesn't expect it to be literal and simplistic.

Was that your point?
Yes, it was.

Well, if you think about it, it is quite a complicated marriage you are trying to put together. We have the people who witnessed the events, from the perspective of an oppressed people miraculously receiving salvation. We have the people who witnessed the events, from the perspective of the mightiest Empire to have ever existed up until then, brought to their knees with what to them must have seemed to be the ending of the world. We have the impressions and interpretations of all the storytellers and commentators and students of both history and faith layered in over thousands of years. And you are trying to marry that with the needs of a faith community in 2019.

You can't expect it to be literal and simplistic. Certainly, Judaism doesn't expect it to be literal and simplistic.
Well, I don't know what to add about it. I tried my best to make my point clear.

In my opinion it would be far greater if one prominent religious figure said - 'Guys, we have the scriptures which were thought to have been written under the direct guise of God. But they were written by people who wrote according to their own perception and comprehension. And these things may be partially mythical and made up stories. So, to distinguish these parts we should use reason and contemporary knowledge'.
This is basically the position of the Catholic Church, but keep in mind the Church has no problem at all if people choose to take everything literally, either. Catholics believe scripture is written by man, but inspired by God. People who research and delve deeply into the history, culture, and languages of Biblical times quickly understand that ancient people did not write all accounts in Factual, Encyclopedia style. They wove stories, and in my opinion, remain some of the best storytellers of all time. The truth they relate differ from facts because they are teaching lessons, not science. Definitely, we should use this perspective, not the perspective of 21st Century Modern English Science and Historical Textbooks.
Catholic church... It has the same flaws. Unreliable myths which were raised to even higher scale and put as a cornerstone of the faith.

Forum List

Back