FAIL- Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows

Once again, no "subsidies" exist, nor have ever existed. The most that the gubment was ever willing to give up, was to let us have some of our own tax money, back. That should make ditto-heads, exceedingly estatic, yet they now whine about the gunbents loss of revenue! Too funny, even more so considering that oil gets huge tax breaks from the gub.

Yes, they very much exist.

Incentives for Plug-in Hybrids and Electric Cars PluginCars.com

If the gov't knocks 7500 off the price of a car because its an electric, that's the gov't interfering with free market.

A tax incentive is the same as a subsidy. It artificially deflates the price of a car.

The Tesla Model S P85D costs $105,000. Do you think there are many people who will pay $97,500, but would not pay $105,000?

Yet Obama continues to squeeze the coal miners

-Geaux'
======================================

But low oil prices are supposed to be unequivocally good? On the day when Ford lays off 700 Michigan plant workers in small cars and hybrids manufacturing, The Detroit News reports that, according to Edmunds.com, sales of electric cars and hybrids are at the lowest level since 2011. What is even more worrisome, motorists who leased those first-generation cars, and have decided not to buy them, are turning them in, leaving dealer lots full of low mileage cars at huge discounts to new ones. As Edmunds concludes, while "the government's going to keep pushing it, there is time to pause right now."

Low oil prices have not been unequivocally good for these workers... (as Detroit Free Press reports)

Ford said today that it is planning to cut a shift at its Michigan Assembly Plant where it makes the Ford Focus compact car and C-Max crossover because of declining sales of small cars, hybrids and electric vehicles.

The automaker told workers and notified the state of Michigan that it will lay off 700 workers, starting June 22. The decision affects 675 hourly workers and 25 salaried employees who make the Focus, Focus ST, Focus Electric, C-Max hybrid and C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid at the Wayne plant.

The first 200 workers will be laid off in June, another 200 at the end of July and the remainder at the end of September.

Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows Zero Hedge

Are you somehow rooting that the new technology fails?
What new technology?

Efficient electric and hybrid vehicles

Why are some so intimidated by alternative energy? Are you that tied to big oil?
My 97 geo metro gets better gas milage than a hybrid it cost 1000$ in mint shape, easy and cheap to repair it spent most of its years towed behind a motorhome

Also, how often to the rates you pay for electricity change? Once a year? Twice a year would be very surprising. Gasoline prices, on the otherhand, can change twice in a single day.

Once again, no "subsidies" exist, nor have ever existed. The most that the gubment was ever willing to give up, was to let us have some of our own tax money, back. That should make ditto-heads, exceedingly estatic, yet they now whine about the gunbents loss of revenue! Too funny, even more so considering that oil gets huge tax breaks from the gub.

If the gov't knocks 7500 off the price of a car because its an electric, that's the gov't interfering with free market.

A tax incentive is the same as a subsidy. It artificially deflates the price of a car.

The Tesla Model S P85D costs $105,000. Do you think there are many people who will pay $97,500, but would not pay $105,000?
I Could buy 105,000 worth of gas for my metro

Yet Obama continues to squeeze the coal miners

-Geaux'
======================================

But low oil prices are supposed to be unequivocally good? On the day when Ford lays off 700 Michigan plant workers in small cars and hybrids manufacturing, The Detroit News reports that, according to Edmunds.com, sales of electric cars and hybrids are at the lowest level since 2011. What is even more worrisome, motorists who leased those first-generation cars, and have decided not to buy them, are turning them in, leaving dealer lots full of low mileage cars at huge discounts to new ones. As Edmunds concludes, while "the government's going to keep pushing it, there is time to pause right now."

Low oil prices have not been unequivocally good for these workers... (as Detroit Free Press reports)

Ford said today that it is planning to cut a shift at its Michigan Assembly Plant where it makes the Ford Focus compact car and C-Max crossover because of declining sales of small cars, hybrids and electric vehicles.

The automaker told workers and notified the state of Michigan that it will lay off 700 workers, starting June 22. The decision affects 675 hourly workers and 25 salaried employees who make the Focus, Focus ST, Focus Electric, C-Max hybrid and C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid at the Wayne plant.

The first 200 workers will be laid off in June, another 200 at the end of July and the remainder at the end of September.

Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows Zero Hedge

Are you somehow rooting that the new technology fails?
What new technology?

Efficient electric and hybrid vehicles

Why are some so intimidated by alternative energy? Are you that tied to big oil?
My 97 geo metro gets better gas milage than a hybrid it cost 1000$ in mint shape, easy and cheap to repair it spent most of its years towed behind a motorhome
You forgot gas is $2 a gallon too

Doesn't mean we shouldn't be developing and marketing new technologies. Those technologies have made tremendous strides in the last ten years

I can see how they intimidate conservatives beholden to big oil

That is why we get threads like this one

How nice for you, good luck. :thup:

Indeed you could. Can you seat 5 adults in comfort? And I would hardly call a Metro a luxury car.

Propane inventories gain

U.S. propane stocks increased by 2.0 million barrels last week to 62.0 million barrels as of April 17, 2015, 32.5 million barrels (110.1%) higher than a year ago. Gulf Coast inventories increased by 1.2 million barrels and Midwest inventories increased by 0.6 million barrels. Rocky Mountain/West Coast and East Coast inventories both increased by 0.1 million barrels. Propylene non-fuel-use inventories represented 7.4% of total propane inventories.
This Week in Petroleum

Indeed you could. Can you seat 5 adults in comfort? And I would hardly call a Metro a luxury car.

sure it came in 4 door
97metro_4dr.jpg

sure it came in 4 door
View attachment 40416

I am 6'2" tall. Putting 3 people my size in the back seat of a Metro would be a tight squeeze, at best. And certainly not luxurious. I sat in the backseat of a Tesla and had plenty of legroom, and there is no center hump. Very well appointed luxury car in addition to the high performance and cheaper operating costs.

The tesla is not really a roomie car

As I said, I sat in the back seat with a 6' driver, and had room to spare. If there is a lack of space, I'm not sure where it is. And it is certainly roomier than a Metro.

I just ran some quick numbers. The average person in the US drives 12k miles per year. I looked at double and triple the average miles. Electricity in my area runs 9.9 cents per kWhr. If I fully charge the Tesla Model S P85D, it costs me about $8.42. The EPA estimated range is 253 miles. I used 200 miles (to allow for air conditioning ect ect). That means it costs about $0.04 per mile. An economy car that gets 40mpg with gas costing $2 a gal, costs about $0.05 per mile.

At 12k miles, the Model S P85D costs $504.90. At 24k miles it costs $1009.80. And at 36k miles, it costs $1514.70.
The gasoline car, at $2 a gal, cost $600 for 12k, $1200 for 24k, and $1800 for 36k. Add in oil changes and the like, and it cost even more.

If (when?) gas goes back to $3 a gal, the gasoline car will cost $900 for 12k miles, $1800 for 24k miles, and $2700 for 36k miles.

Forum List

Back