FAIL- Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows

My 1969 Chevy gets the same mileage as your new Ford. Eco fail.

And how many horses does your 1969 Chevy have? And by all means, what kind of car is it? Let's look it up. What is the 0-60 of your Chevy? Make? Model? Or is it a phantom car?

Ignorant morons love to say "My Geo Metro gets the same mileage as the new Fiesta." LOL Ok, and your Metro has a mind boggling 50 horsepower. The new Fiesta has 123 and 145ft lbs of torque. That is something the Metro surely didn't have. The new Focus ST has over 250 horsepower.

So while raw gas mileage hasn't gone up a whole lot, performance with that same mileage has gone through the roof.
It is a Malibu with a 307 bored 30 over and has around 300HP. And I don't give a shit how fast it goes from zero to sixty. Why are you in such a hurry? The point is modern cars still getting the same mileage is they did 30 years ago is a joke. And the fact you Millennials buy into the marketing BS just shows how stupid and gullible you are.

As I recall, the base hp for a 69 Chevy Malibu was about 200.

If you bored it over a bit, you could squeeze a little more out of it, but not much. It was not considered to be a very fast motor. You could beef it up with bigger valves and more compression. But most car guys would never have built a 307. Thier were better motors laying around that you could make fly.

Most of the 307s used a 2 speed power-glide tranny that used up a lot more fuel.

I would be going 60 mph and totally not notice I was in 1st gear!!!

Yeah, I am seeing what the posters on USMB think of EVs. I find it funny how many lunatic ways they will compare them in order to try and find any failure. Hotroddded Gremlins, Geo Metros, delivery vans ect ect

Several car magazines have named the Tesla "Car of the Year". Consumer Reports called it "one of the best cars they ever tested". But USMB's "experts" disagree. I am sure Elon Musk is worried.

Well........I happen to know for a fact that the President of CR Magazine is a huge green guy. Anything green related always gets the highest scores...........check it out in future issues. For almost 100K, it better be a damn good car!!!

But really Winter.........if somebody has 100K, they're not buying a Tesla S unless they have this yearning to make a statement. Ask 100 males if they'd had 100K, are they buying an R35 GTR or a Tesla? Three or four might pick the Tesla.

Just sayin'.............

I disagree. I see Teslas around Atlanta. They are a "show-off" car for a certain set. When I went with a friend to test drive one, there was a wait, even though he scheduled an appt.

And it is not the typical "greenie" driving them.

Since I am hitting the Tesla charging stations, I wouldn't pay a dime for fuel.

No, but you'd be paying for electricity.

These "charging stations" won't be free, man. It costs money to charge one of these things.

No you won't. If you buy a new Tesla you get free charging at their Super Charging stations forever. That is guaranteed.

YOU may not have to pay for it...but someone does. That's the point. Nothing in life is free. Tax breaks for the rich, which is what you are advocating here, is a problem. The poor people get to pay more taxes so the wealthy people who buy Tesla's get to have their "free" electricity.

Or Tesla pays for it. That seems the most logical.

2015 Dodge Hellcat............707 HP

Tesla S...............420HP.:oops-28:

Hmmmmm............wonder which car a huge majority of men would buy. LOL......and you can get the Hellcat and have enough $$ left over to go on a 2 week vacation in Hawaii. The odd social oddball would pick the Tesla just to make a ghey statement. Not most though,...........ever:up:

The same people who would buy a Mercedes instead of a Dodge.

These "charging stations" won't be free, man. It costs money to charge one of these things.

No you won't. If you buy a new Tesla you get free charging at their Super Charging stations forever. That is guaranteed.

YOU may not have to pay for it...but someone does. That's the point. Nothing in life is free. Tax breaks for the rich, which is what you are advocating here, is a problem. The poor people get to pay more taxes so the wealthy people who buy Tesla's get to have their "free" electricity.

Either Telsa pays for It in order to get you to buy the car or the station just to get you to buy other stuff. What's the Damn problem?

I could see the restaurants at the exit on the interstates paying for the electricity. Having one next door would boost business from a set with money.

Bullshit. No car from the 60s with 300hp gets 30mpg.

You're full of shit and you're a liar.

Proof you're a liar:

1969 Chevrolet Chevelle - User Reviews - CarGurus

The Chevelle and Malibu are the same car, yet one of the con's of this car is gas mileage. Yet you tout numbers.

You're such a fucking liar. God I hate liars.

Despite being one of the best things your grandma could buy in 1969, getting about 18 Mpg in town and about 21 Mpg on the highway,

Yea, looks real close to 32mpg highway.

Idiot.
Don't get mad at me because you are a useless Millennial who does not know how to build an engine. Stay on point. There is no excuse for a car today to be getting the same mileage as one from thirty years ago. And why is it you have not posted pics of your 100 MPG Tesla? Oh yeah because you are part of the do as I say not as I do generation.

Hmmmmm............wonder which car a huge majority of men would buy. LOL......and you can get the Hellcat and have enough $$ left over to go on a 2 week vacation in Hawaii. The odd social oddball would pick the Tesla just to make a ghey statement. Not most though,...........ever:up:

Some........for sure. But they're not buying a Tesla for that money and that's the point.

The Hellcat runs low 11's out of the showroom on stock tires. I'm not even a Dodge guy but that's stoopid fast. I'd personally prefer a Mustang GT350 and save 20 grand on the Tesla. IDK....spending almost 90K on a car and seeing taillights all day is ghey.:2up:

Some........for sure. But they're not buying a Tesla for that money and that's the point.

The Hellcat runs low 11's out of the showroom on stock tires. I'm not even a Dodge guy but that's stoopid fast. I'd personally prefer a Mustang GT350 and save 20 grand on the Tesla. IDK....spending almost 90K on a car and seeing taillights all day is ghey

Do a lot of drag racing in your day-to-day life or is most of your driving done on the expressway commuting to and from work?

Maybe it's time to grow up and get practical.

The Hellcat runs low 11's out of the showroom on stock tires. I'm not even a Dodge guy but that's stoopid fast. I'd personally prefer a Mustang GT350 and save 20 grand on the Tesla. IDK....spending almost 90K on a car and seeing taillights all day is ghey.:2up:

If you are only interested in having to prove your masculinity at every stoplight, the Hellcat is perfect.

For those of us who already know, the Tesla is great.

LMAO.....70K vs 129K:ack-1::ack-1:??? Hmmm...........which one would most buy??

Nice car vs beast car!!! Take the extra 50K and buy a Volt for days you don't want to feel ghey.

tesla vs - Bing Videos

Believe or not, there are plenty of men who do not measure their dick by the car they drive.

The Hellcat is a great hotrod sorta car. The Tesla is a luxury sedan with amazing technology. That the P85D can keep up with the Hellcat is a bonus. Yeah, the Hellcat wins when there is an experienced driver behind the wheel. But smoke those tires at all and the Tesla wins.

Oh, and the Tesla's 0-60 acceleration is great. But it is the same from 40-100 or from 60 to 120.

According to this website, the Hellcat does 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and the quarter mile in 11. Dodge 0-60 Times Dodge Quarter Mile Times Dodge Viper SRT Challenger Charger R T Neon more 0 to 60 stats

The Tesla does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, with a 1/4 mile time of 11.4.

Doesn't seem like a huge difference to me.

The best the Mustang did was for the 2013 Mustang Shelby GT500. It does 0-60 in 3.6 and the 1/4 mile in 11.5. In other words, you would be seeing Tesla taillights in both categories.

And the Tesla has a far more luxurious ride and interior. It is far quieter than either of those muscle cars. And the technology available to the driver is space age nerdgasmic.

Tesla has been built on government handouts, which ultimately all come from the taxpayers. Here in Nevada they were the recipient of 1.6 billion dollars in handouts.

Tesla has been built on government handouts, which ultimately all come from the taxpayers. Here in Nevada they were the recipient of 1.6 billion dollars in handouts.

Initially Tesla borrowed $425 million. They paid that loan back 8 or 9 years early.

If Nevada gave them major incentives to build teh battery plant there, someone must have thought it would be worth it.

Alabama gave Mercedes a $253 million deal to get them to open their plant in 1993. 20 years later, Mercedes claims an annual economic impact of $1.5 billion.

Those "handouts" turn into investments.

Initially Tesla borrowed $425 million. They paid that loan back 8 or 9 years early.

If Nevada gave them major incentives to build teh battery plant there, someone must have thought it would be worth it.

Alabama gave Mercedes a $253 million deal to get them to open their plant in 1993. 20 years later, Mercedes claims an annual economic impact of $1.5 billion.

Yes, some of them do. And, I am all for those. However, the loan that TESLA repaid was at a far lower interest rate than that given to the car companies. And Musk also loaned money to TESLA, which he got a 10% interest for. So, TESLA paid a very, very low interest to the US taxpayers, but paid Musk a very high interest for the money he loaned to his own company. So, yet again, the American taxpayer paid for a billionaire to make money...off of them..

"And, in fact, the Energy Department actually did negotiate for options on 3 million shares of Tesla stock as part of the original loan, options that would be worth $300 million based on Tesla’s current share price. Unfortunately for taxpayers, those options no longer exist. Tesla had the right to force the extinguishment of those options by repaying the loan early, as it just did. (The Energy Department says that was expected, since unlike typical options these were never meant to turn a profit but rather to encourage Tesla to repay the loan early if it could.)"

Tesla is worse than Solyndra How the U.S. government bungled its investment in the car company and cost taxpayers at least 1 billion.

Yes, some of them do. And, I am all for those. However, the loan that TESLA repaid was at a far lower interest rate than that given to the car companies. And Musk also loaned money to TESLA, which he got a 10% interest for. So, TESLA paid a very, very low interest to the US taxpayers, but paid Musk a very high interest for the money he loaned to his own company. So, yet again, the American taxpayer paid for a billionaire to make money...off of them..

"And, in fact, the Energy Department actually did negotiate for options on 3 million shares of Tesla stock as part of the original loan, options that would be worth $300 million based on Tesla’s current share price. Unfortunately for taxpayers, those options no longer exist. Tesla had the right to force the extinguishment of those options by repaying the loan early, as it just did. (The Energy Department says that was expected, since unlike typical options these were never meant to turn a profit but rather to encourage Tesla to repay the loan early if it could.)"

Tesla is worse than Solyndra How the U.S. government bungled its investment in the car company and cost taxpayers at least 1 billion.

If we cut out all of these low interest loans, I am fine with it. But do it across the board.

Electric cars are great. On the golf course. Although the way I've been slicing I should have gone for one with more off-road capability.

If you want to drive a golfcart, have fun with it. I have done so when I was drunk and had a blast.

But lets not confuse a luxury car that can do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds with your golf cart.

Winterborn is unable to think that deeply. All he sees is "Tesla paid off the loan early." He doesn't go into the details of the loan, which was WAY sweeter than any other company got for the same type of loan. The risk to the US taxpayer far outweighed the minimal gain they got from the Tesla loan. They even made less because the loan was paid off early.

It's not the gov'ts job to provide low-interest loans to companies like Tesla. It's not their job to give money to ANY private company for any reason. The fact that they do it shows that some people in gov't should be eating from a tray given to them through the steel door of a prison cell.

If we cut out all of these low interest loans, I am fine with it. But do it across the board.

What I would like to see is a company, like TESLA, that caters to the wealthy, make the wealthy pay their own freight. It is abhorrent to me that the wealthy continuously get to enjoy the high life on the backs of the poor.

Forum List

Back