FAIL- Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows

Have you ever heard of a battery that lasted forever?

That's why.

And yes, you have treated it like a Godsend. You haven't, in 43 pages of thread, said ONE NEGATIVE THING about the Tesla automobile. NOT A SINGLE THING. You have, however, defended every single negative thing said.

Every car on the road has major negatives about it, even Tesla. Far be it from you to admit it.
Really? Have you ever heard of an ICE that does not wear out? If the Tesla had a thousand mile range, it would be a far better automobile.

Why the Death of Coal in America Is Saving You Money - DailyFinance

What is surprising is that the rate at which electricity prices have increased has actually slowed at the same time as coal plants are being shut down. Between 2001 and 2008, when coal usage was still growing, the price of electricity increased 4.2 percent a year in the U.S. In the six years since, electricity prices have increased just 1.2 percent a year.

image002.png

Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration
That's partly due to the falling cost of natural gas and partly because wind and solar energy are now lower-cost than coal or natural gas. Investment bank Lazard issues ban annual report called Lazard's Levelized Cost of Energy Analysis that analyzes the cost to build new power plants, and coal at 6.6-15.1 cents per kWh is now more expensive than wind at 1.4-6.7 cents per kWh and even utility solar at 5.6-8.6 cents per kWh.

Regulations that make pollution from coal more expensive might be putting coal at a disadvantage, but alternatives to coal are winning on more than the pollution front. According to Lazard, wind and solar are actually lower-cost than coal was in 2009 (5.7 to 14.4 cents per kWh), before many current EPA regulations were put in place. So, cost is driving the drop in coal and growth in wind and solar energy.

Renewables are a much better deal for the consumer, not only costs less, but does not poison us.

A new market? The original was the 1997 Prius. That's 19 car model years ago.

Sales still suck because it's a sucky idea. With ICE engines lasting over 600,000 miles out of a tiny car like a Fiesta and getting 40-50mpg doing it, EV's don't stand a chance. This guy put 666,000 miles on his car, and this car was introduced to the US market for the 2011 year model! Oh yea, and to rub it in, he paid 15K for it brand new. That's reliability!

Here's proof: Hilarious what his mileage was when he took the photo:

Pair%20of%20666s_zpsrq8ig891.jpg

And so you don't think its fake, the same owner this time last year:

IMG_20140405_062450_469_zpsochavfpi.jpg

Last edited:
A new market? The original was the 1997 Prius. That's 19 car model years ago.

Sales still suck because it's a sucky idea. With ICE engines lasting over 600,000 miles out of a tiny car like a Fiesta and getting 40-50mpg doing it, EV's don't stand a chance. This guy put 666,000 miles on his car, and this car was introduced to the US market for the 2011 year model! Oh yea, and to rub it in, he paid 15K for it brand new. That's reliability!

Yes, a new market. The Prius was a new idea. But it was not an EV. It was an ICE with a battery "booster" to improve the gas mileage.

EVs move us away from burning fossil fuels in our cars completely.

And yes, the ICE cars run very high mileages ect ect ect. But they have been perfecting all that for 100 years. The EV, in their modern format and as a production vehicle, are new (with some off beat exceptions).

And there is no reason an EV can't run just as many miles, if not more. There are fewer things to go wrong in many EV designs. You take out the entire transmission system, radiator/cooling system, oil changes ect. They have not gone a million miles because they haven't been around that long as a consumer option. The LEAF has been around since 2010. The Volt since 2011. And the Tesla Roadster was first produced in 2008, and was an EV built on a Lotus frame & chassis. The first Tesla designed as completely by Tesla was the Model S, which started in 2013.

And you, and your ilk, are mocking them because they are only a tiny percentage of the cars on the road. Hell, they have only been around for 5 to 7 years. And they are still working out the bugs. When Henry Ford first started mass producing Fords, did they replace horse-drawn wagons and carriages in 10 years? Were there suddenly gas stations on every corner in a decade?

And no, it is not a sucky idea. The electric motor is much more efficient than the internal combustion engine. It is much safer and much cleaner. So far, in just those few years, the EVs have managed to make a stir and be noticed.

Really? That 2011 Fiesta has 666,000 miles.

The electric motor is cleaner but to charge the battery pollutes more than an ICE engine does to drive the same distance! That's what you people can't see!! You can't see past your nose. Just because you don't see or smell the pollution AT THE VEHICLE doesn't mean its not being created SOMEWHERE.

Study EVs Powered by Coal Are More Polluting Than Gasoline Cars

Electric cars create more pollution than gasoline powered vehicles study

http://www.economist.com/news/scien...r-may-be-much-dirtier-petrol-one-cleaner-what

Last edited:
Really? That 2011 Fiesta has 666,000 miles and it's a 2011.

The electric motor is cleaner but to charge the battery pollutes more than an ICE engine does to drive the same distance! That's what you people can't see!! You can't see past your nose to spite your face!

That claim only comes close to working if you are charging with electricity from a coal powered generating plant. If it is charged with electricity from hydro, solar, wind or nuclear power it is much, much cleaner.

And actually, even then it doesn't work. If you look at the amount of pollution put out by one power plant versus the pollution of many, many ICE cars (the equivalent of the number of EVs that could be run on the electricity generated), the power plant's filtration systems is far better.

Yes, that Fiesta is a 2011. And that Fiesta is the 6th generation of the Ford Fiesta. You are expecting first generation EVs to do what it has done? Or, more accurately, you are expecting the 1st generation EVs to do what at least one, 6th generation, Fiesta has done?

Also, Ford has produced over 16 million Fiestas since 1976. You know of one that went 666,000 miles? Congrats. But it really has not meaning in this conversation.

The Fiesta is a $15000 car. It can go as fast, and twice as far as a vehicle costing 5 times as much needing special charging stations and hours to charge. That will NOT catch on with the general masses as the PATHETIC SALES NUMBERS have shown. The Fiesta engine has also won international engine of the year 3 years in a row. What has Tesla done?

The Fiesta is a totally revamp of the old car. In fact, the new generation Fiesta started out as a rally car in Europe. Because there were 5 other cars before it with the same name, to use your words, has no meaning in this conversation.

Quit making excuses and you still haven't said a single negative thing about the Tesla. What are you, a salesman for Tesla?

Oh yea, if EV's are so clean if they're charged by nuclear power plants, you do realize that less than 20% of Americas power is generated by nuclear energy? So that means that EV's are much more polluting than ICE cars because we simply don't have the infrastructure available to charge them in a non-polluting way.

U.S. Nuclear Power Plants - Nuclear Energy Institute

Last edited:
The Fiesta is a $15000 car. It can go as fast, and twice as far as a vehicle costing 5 times as much needing special charging stations and hours to charge. That will NOT catch on with the general masses as the PATHETIC SALES NUMBERS have shown. The Fiesta engine has also won international engine of the year 3 years in a row. What has Tesla done?

The Fiesta is a totally revamp of the old car. In fact, the new generation Fiesta started out as a rally car in Europe. Because there were 5 other cars before it with the same name, to use your words, has no meaning in this conversation.

Quit making excuses and you still haven't said a single negative thing about the Tesla. What are you, a salesman for Tesla?

Oh yea, if EV's are so clean if they're charged by nuclear power plants, you do realize that less than 20% of Americas power is generated by nuclear energy? So that means that EV's are much more polluting than ICE cars because we simply don't have the infrastructure available to charge them in a non-polluting way.

U.S. Nuclear Power Plants - Nuclear Energy Institute

Why is it so important for you that I say something negative about Tesla? Who, by the way, won Car of the Year from at least 2 automotive magazines.

No, the Fiesta can't go as fast as the Tesla. And the fuel will almost always be far more expensive. It also requires oil changes, transmission service, coolant checks, ect ect ect.

You have spent more than 45 pages trying to demean and discredit the Tesla and other EVs. You have attacked them from every conceivable angle. You really do hate the idea of them, don't you? Why?

the only thing i dont like about electric vehicles

is the length of time to recharge

when i can totally fill up in five minutes

i would consider one

that and heat

Since I am hitting the Tesla charging stations, I wouldn't pay a dime for fuel.

No, but you'd be paying for electricity.

These "charging stations" won't be free, man. It costs money to charge one of these things.

No you won't. If you buy a new Tesla you get free charging at their Super Charging stations forever. That is guaranteed.

Bullshit. Unless they get gigantic subsidies, that can't last...it's just not a sustainable business model.

My 1969 Chevy gets the same mileage as your new Ford. Eco fail.

And how many horses does your 1969 Chevy have? And by all means, what kind of car is it? Let's look it up. What is the 0-60 of your Chevy? Make? Model? Or is it a phantom car?

Ignorant morons love to say "My Geo Metro gets the same mileage as the new Fiesta." LOL Ok, and your Metro has a mind boggling 50 horsepower. The new Fiesta has 123 and 145ft lbs of torque. That is something the Metro surely didn't have. The new Focus ST has over 250 horsepower.

So while raw gas mileage hasn't gone up a whole lot, performance with that same mileage has gone through the roof.
It is a Malibu with a 307 bored 30 over and has around 300HP. And I don't give a shit how fast it goes from zero to sixty. Why are you in such a hurry? The point is modern cars still getting the same mileage is they did 30 years ago is a joke. And the fact you Millennials buy into the marketing BS just shows how stupid and gullible you are.

As I recall, the base hp for a 69 Chevy Malibu was about 200.

If you bored it over a bit, you could squeeze a little more out of it, but not much. It was not considered to be a very fast motor. You could beef it up with bigger valves and more compression. But most car guys would never have built a 307. Thier were better motors laying around that you could make fly.

Most of the 307s used a 2 speed power-glide tranny that used up a lot more fuel.

I would be going 60 mph and totally not notice I was in 1st gear!!!

300HP from a 307 wouldn't be all that hard. It's still a SB Chevy...I have seen 300HP 305's, and a 307 is actually a much better starting point. Swapping a TH700R4 (or TH-200-4R) trans into a Malibu is a weekend project.

Some........for sure. But they're not buying a Tesla for that money and that's the point.

The Hellcat runs low 11's out of the showroom on stock tires. I'm not even a Dodge guy but that's stoopid fast. I'd personally prefer a Mustang GT350 and save 20 grand on the Tesla. IDK....spending almost 90K on a car and seeing taillights all day is ghey

Do a lot of drag racing in your day-to-day life or is most of your driving done on the expressway commuting to and from work?

Maybe it's time to grow up and get practical.

Dude...the Hellcat IS practical. Yes, it's a 200MPH rocketship...but it's also a full-size sedan.

Have you ever heard of a battery that lasted forever?

That's why.

And yes, you have treated it like a Godsend. You haven't, in 43 pages of thread, said ONE NEGATIVE THING about the Tesla automobile. NOT A SINGLE THING. You have, however, defended every single negative thing said.

Every car on the road has major negatives about it, even Tesla. Far be it from you to admit it.
Really? Have you ever heard of an ICE that does not wear out? If the Tesla had a thousand mile range, it would be a far better automobile.

I have driven cars with over 350,000 miles on the original engine...and a truck with over 800,000. (The engine still ran perfectly when it was wrecked with 930,000.) Very, very, VERY few cars are scrapped due to engine failure!

My 1969 Chevy gets the same mileage as your new Ford. Eco fail.

And how many horses does your 1969 Chevy have? And by all means, what kind of car is it? Let's look it up. What is the 0-60 of your Chevy? Make? Model? Or is it a phantom car?

Ignorant morons love to say "My Geo Metro gets the same mileage as the new Fiesta." LOL Ok, and your Metro has a mind boggling 50 horsepower. The new Fiesta has 123 and 145ft lbs of torque. That is something the Metro surely didn't have. The new Focus ST has over 250 horsepower.

So while raw gas mileage hasn't gone up a whole lot, performance with that same mileage has gone through the roof.
It is a Malibu with a 307 bored 30 over and has around 300HP. And I don't give a shit how fast it goes from zero to sixty. Why are you in such a hurry? The point is modern cars still getting the same mileage is they did 30 years ago is a joke. And the fact you Millennials buy into the marketing BS just shows how stupid and gullible you are.

As I recall, the base hp for a 69 Chevy Malibu was about 200.

If you bored it over a bit, you could squeeze a little more out of it, but not much. It was not considered to be a very fast motor. You could beef it up with bigger valves and more compression. But most car guys would never have built a 307. Thier were better motors laying around that you could make fly.

Most of the 307s used a 2 speed power-glide tranny that used up a lot more fuel.

I would be going 60 mph and totally not notice I was in 1st gear!!!

300HP from a 307 wouldn't be all that hard. It's still a SB Chevy...I have seen 300HP 305's, and a 307 is actually a much better starting point. Swapping a TH700R4 (or TH-200-4R) trans into a Malibu is a weekend project.

I could force 375 out of it, but you have to build the living hell out of that puppy. Including new heads, big cam, four barrel carb, roller rockers, and a lot more. Why build a 307 though, when you can easily slap a 396 in that bad-boy?

*There is no real substitute for cubic inches.

Last edited:
Those old Chevy big blocks could really go. You're talking 350-425 hp STOCK!!! That's twice the base hp more or less.

Boring the darn thing out to a 427 was an easy way to add mega firepower right out of the gate.

Last edited:
Since I am hitting the Tesla charging stations, I wouldn't pay a dime for fuel.

No, but you'd be paying for electricity.

These "charging stations" won't be free, man. It costs money to charge one of these things.

No you won't. If you buy a new Tesla you get free charging at their Super Charging stations forever. That is guaranteed.

Bullshit. Unless they get gigantic subsidies, that can't last...it's just not a sustainable business model.

There currently are NO SUBSIDIES for electric cars. All of the tax breaks have expired. You are really closing your eyes to a cool new idea. Do I think they will last forever? No, but these technologies will eventually give rise to its eventual replacements.

Forum List

Back