Family Kicked Off Flight After Daughter With Autism Deemed 'Disruptive'

The woman made mistakes. She didn't make sure her daughter ate before getting on the plane.
She tried to...her daughter refused at that time.

Then she demanded that her daughter get a first class meal.
She asked if she could be accomodated.
Then she threatened the plane that if a first class meal wasn't immediately forthcoming the girl would melt down injuring passengers and crew.
Threatened? Are you claiming that she had control over whether or not her daughter had a meltdown? She was stating what would happen.

It was entirely proper to remove this family from the plane, but they should also be put on the no fly list.
At the time the pilot landed the plane the girl had eaten and was calm and there was no reason to expect further issues.
I think you probably don't fly much.

In Asia you can book, for a premium price a guaranteed child-free flight.

But not an idiot-free flight.

There is NO equality!
I don't get people who are annoyed by children. It might be because I have four. That's four little assholes to clean, screeching temper tantrums, sleepless nights, getting dressed for church in spite of all resistance, and working hours to cook for the little satans only to have them say they don't like it.

Well ok, maybe I see their point...

I guess the girl needed to have hot food. The mom was unable to carry that kind of snack on board. There was a delay so the mom asked the staff for a hot sandwich that she could buy. From what I read they weren't being very helpful. I'm sure with a packed plane stewardesses were busy enough and most likely didn't have a clue about dealing with special needs people. The girl did finally get a hot rice dish and she was content.
On one hand I admire the family for taking her so many places. I do pt work in therapeutic riding and from talking to parents know they are constantly feeling isolated and just want their kids to have the best life possible.
Still...I've seen a couple older teen boys have "frustration meltdowns" sometimes for no apparent reason and it can get live real quick.
Not sure how severe her issues were, but being stuck in a crowded plane wouldn't be a good scenario.
I think the mom is trying to encourage more training
( awareness) for this type of thing.
I understand all your points; however, people with a child like this do not have the right to disrupt a plane full of people, 1, 2 or more hundred people. Flying is stressful, especially these days. It isn't just the annoyance and discomfort with all the noise of a child acting up...these days any kind of hint of violent behavior on a plane is anathema to what should be happening...that is what most or all passengers feel, I believe.

And I believe that is why the pilot turned the plane around and put the family out, though she may have been quiet at the time. Keeping people on a flight who suggest the possibility of violence is something a pilot does not have to and should not entertain.

I fly often, and often long distances. It's very, extremely, important for a flight to be calm and for passengers to feel safe and comfortable.

I think subjecting a plane full of people to the training of your child is not appropriate. Also, it is not an appropriate situation in which to inform or educated people about the problems of an autistic child.

Oh I agree. We had a parent willingly take their son out of our program ( for severe behavior issues) and the whole place is geared for this.
This might sound awful, but I might have asked her Dr for a mild sedative to give her.
Crowded planes are bad enough just under normal circumstances.

The girl is 15, 120 lbs according to the mother. Normal flight from Orlando to DC is about 2.30 hours. Seems that this could have been prevented simply by the parents feeding the child 'hot food' before they left.

From the mother's comment she claimed she had a bag full of the girl's 'favorite treats' but she said she became agitated because of hunger and would only eat hot food.

This is all very weird.

Flying is stressful, especially these days. It isn't just the annoyance and discomfort with all the noise of a child acting up...these days any kind of hint of violent behavior on a plane is anathema to what should be happening...that is what most or all passengers feel, I believe.

And I believe that is why the pilot turned the plane around and put the family out, though she may have been quiet at the time. Keeping people on a flight who suggest the possibility of violence is something a pilot does not have to and should not entertain.

It's very, extremely, important for a flight to be calm and for passengers to feel safe and comfortable.

^^^^^^^
THIS!

Flying public, please take note of Esmeralda's comments. There is a lot going on behind the scenes, with the cabin crew's training and what's going through the captain's mind based on the latest threat assessment. It's a no tolerance era.

Last edited:
The woman made mistakes. She didn't make sure her daughter ate before getting on the plane.
She tried to...her daughter refused at that time.

Then she demanded that her daughter get a first class meal.
She asked if she could be accomodated.
Then she threatened the plane that if a first class meal wasn't immediately forthcoming the girl would melt down injuring passengers and crew.
Threatened? Are you claiming that she had control over whether or not her daughter had a meltdown? She was stating what would happen.

It was entirely proper to remove this family from the plane, but they should also be put on the no fly list.
At the time the pilot landed the plane the girl had eaten and was calm and there was no reason to expect further issues.
I think you probably don't fly much.
Ah, I've always liked that tactic: imply that the other person can't know what he's talking about but not actually providing a real argument that can be countered. Kind of lazy of you.

But I've flown quote a bit, that doesn't change the fact that, according to the mother and witnesses, the child never caused an actual disturbance.

I guess the girl needed to have hot food. The mom was unable to carry that kind of snack on board. There was a delay so the mom asked the staff for a hot sandwich that she could buy. From what I read they weren't being very helpful. I'm sure with a packed plane stewardesses were busy enough and most likely didn't have a clue about dealing with special needs people. The girl did finally get a hot rice dish and she was content.
On one hand I admire the family for taking her so many places. I do pt work in therapeutic riding and from talking to parents know they are constantly feeling isolated and just want their kids to have the best life possible.
Still...I've seen a couple older teen boys have "frustration meltdowns" sometimes for no apparent reason and it can get live real quick.
Not sure how severe her issues were, but being stuck in a crowded plane wouldn't be a good scenario.
I think the mom is trying to encourage more training
( awareness) for this type of thing.
I understand all your points; however, people with a child like this do not have the right to disrupt a plane full of people, 1, 2 or more hundred people. Flying is stressful, especially these days. It isn't just the annoyance and discomfort with all the noise of a child acting up...these days any kind of hint of violent behavior on a plane is anathema to what should be happening...that is what most or all passengers feel, I believe.

I fly often, and often long distances. It's very, extremely, important for a flight to be calm and for passengers to feel safe and comfortable.

I think subjecting a plane full of people to the training of your child is not appropriate. Also, it is not an appropriate situation in which to inform or educated people about the problems of an autistic child.

Oh I agree. We had a parent willingly take their son out of our program ( for severe behavior issues) and the whole place is geared for this.
This might sound awful, but I might have asked her Dr for a mild sedative to give her.
Crowded planes are bad enough just under normal circumstances.
A sedative is what we gave our autistic son before the flight. People can be so judgmental about that, saying we drug our kid so we don't have to deal with him. Bullshit. We dope him up so the rest of the people on the plane don't have to deal with him.

The girl is 15, 120 lbs according to the mother. Normal flight from Orlando to DC is about 2.30 hours. Seems that this could have been prevented simply by the parents feeding the child 'hot food' before they left.

From the mother's comment she claimed she had a bag full of the girl's 'favorite treats' but she said she became agitated because of hunger and would only eat hot food.

This is all very weird.
You've never had to deal with an autistic child. They are EXACTLY like that.

This is all very weird.
I've taught many autistic special needs children. I currently work with 3 autistic young adults. Exactly like what, are you implying?

I've no doubt she became distraught over hunger and quickly was placated when fed. I don't think that the family should have been removed from the plane based on the story thus far. It sounds like she had regained control.

My question though was why was she on a plane for a relatively short flight, hungry? The mother said that the daughter will only eat 'hot food.' Ok, could have packed something in thermos, but why not have just grabbed a meal before boarding? More to the point, the mother later wrote a comment, in reply to comments directed towards her, stating that they had a bag full of daughter's favorite treats. Being reasonable, perhaps the daughter will eat 'non-hot' food, after a meal? Still begs the question why she wasn't fed before boarding.

This is all very weird.
I've taught many autistic special needs children. I currently work with 3 autistic young adults. Exactly like what, are you implying?

I've no doubt she became distraught over hunger and quickly was placated when fed. I don't think that the family should have been removed from the plane based on the story thus far. It sounds like she had regained control.

My question though was why was she on a plane for a relatively short flight, hungry? The mother said that the daughter will only eat 'hot food.' Ok, could have packed something in thermos, but why not have just grabbed a meal before boarding? More to the point, the mother later wrote a comment, in reply to comments directed towards her, stating that they had a bag full of daughter's favorite treats. Being reasonable, perhaps the daughter will eat 'non-hot' food, after a meal? Still begs the question why she wasn't fed before boarding.
Maybe they tried and she wouldn't eat before boarding and then AFTER boarding suddenly decided she was hungry. You talk about all your expertise with autistic children, but as a father of a real autistic child, nothing about this story strikes me as odd. My son is wired the same way.

This is all very weird.

Maybe they tried and she wouldn't eat before boarding and then AFTER boarding suddenly decided she was hungry. You talk about all your expertise with autistic children, but as a father of a real autistic child, nothing about this story strikes me as odd. My son is wired the same way.
The mother already said she forgot to feed the kid. That's a known fact. She forgot.

She has a disabled autistic child. That does not obligate anyone else to accommodate her child. The plane personnel did all they could.

After this, next time she won't forget. The plane was right to put her and the kid off.

This is all very weird.

The mother already said she forgot to feed the kid. That's a known fact. She forgot.

She has a disabled autistic child. That does not obligate anyone else to accommodate her child. The plane personnel did all they could.

After this, next time she won't forget. The plane was right to put her and the kid off.
Maybe my view is circumscribed because it's close to home for me. People would give us dirty looks at the DMV when our son was screaming....as if we were bad parents or something. I recommend people watch Mercury Rising (Bruce Willis) to see how autistic children are especially when put in unfamiliar and stressful situations. Miko Hughes performed the part brilliantly. You can't bring the hammer down, you have to give them options, let them be in control because they are deathly terrified of being controlled. It takes patience, the kind that takes time to develop. And even as good as we are, he continues to present new challenges.

There's a whole lot of people on this thread judging what they don't understand.

This is all very weird.

That is what happened from what I've read....she refused to eat earlier.

I don't give a rats ass that she is disabled and 15 is NOT a little girl. Good for the airlines on kicking them off. I would have applauded.

This is all very weird.

that is not a known fact. In the articles I've read, the mother said the family ate before the flight but the daughter refused.

which was accommodate the girl so that she was not a problem.

There was no disruption of the flight. A minor conflict that was resolved.

This is all very weird.

That part does seem extremely strange.Every airport I've been in i the last 5 years anyway has a a restaraunt or 10 inside the security perimeter to get food and take it on the plane with you.

Forum List

Back