Family Kicked Off Flight After Daughter With Autism Deemed 'Disruptive'

It's sad how terrified people in this country are of people with autism; as evidenced in this thread. Thank goodness awareness is increasing.
No one is terrified. The word you are looking for is tolerate. As in people are not willing to tolerate.

It's sad how terrified people in this country are of people with autism; as evidenced in this thread. Thank goodness awareness is increasing.
Really? Terrified? Pahlease. You surprise me. A screaming kid...young or old...disrupting others and possibly causing harm to themselves or to others is not "terrified".

Having an autistic grandchild, I certainly agree. However, most people just don't understand. They just see a weird or unruly child the parent can't control. If you haven't had to care for an autistic child, it's really hard to understand just how exhausting, frustrating, and heartbreaking it is.
Yup. My entire career has been spent working with children that are on the spectrum and whenever my friends and family have had the chance to attend a function I'm shocked at how apprehensive they are about being around these kids. I'm very proud of them for being open, but the overwhelming majority of Americans have never been exposed and don't know how to handle themselves around the population. Is it their fault? Sometimes. Like I said earlier in this thread I would have had to be on the plane to really understand what happened; but there have been some absolutely sickening comments posted on this thread and that is sad.

Really? Terrified? Pahlease. You surprise me. A screaming kid...young or old...disrupting others and possibly causing harm to themselves or to others is not "terrified".
She caused no harm to herself or others. But the people saw fit to have an emergency landing. Calling them "terrified" is an understatement.

No one is terrified. The word you are looking for is tolerate. As in people are not willing to tolerate.
You've shown time and again here you are an evil person. I have no comment for you.

Having an autistic grandchild, I certainly agree. However, most people just don't understand. They just see a weird or unruly child the parent can't control. If you haven't had to care for an autistic child, it's really hard to understand just how exhausting, frustrating, and heartbreaking it is.
Wrong. Everyone understands. They don't care. Your child's disabilities and your difficulties do not create an obligation on the part of anyone else. If it is heartbreaking it isn't my heartbreak it is yours.

The parents of autistic, wild or unruly children are like Frodo. You are the ring bearer. No one can carry this burden for you. Stop shifting the burden and blaming others who just don't understand. They aren't supposed to understand. They are supposed to pay for a ticket to get from here to there. That's all.

This is why people get so disgusted with the parents of disabled children. Yes it is frustrating. Not my problem. Yes it is exhausting. Again, not my problem. You have a problem. Deal. Sedate the child if nothing else.

She caused no harm to herself or others. But the people saw fit to have an emergency landing. Calling them "terrified" is an understatement.
The people saw no such thing. The captain decided that having an autistic in full meltdown wasn't worth the risk. Maybe you should address the POO mother who saw fit to say "either my daughter gets what she wants or she will have a meltdown where she will scream, hit, scratch and spit."

Whoops, time to land this sucker before that happens.

The people saw no such thing. The captain decided that having an autistic in full meltdown wasn't worth the risk. Maybe you should address the POO mother who saw fit to say "either my daughter gets what she wants or she will have a meltdown where she will scream, hit, scratch and spit."

Whoops, time to land this sucker before that happens.
You are an evil human being always expecting the worst of everyone. God forbid you or someone in your family ever has a child with autism and has to come face to face with the type of absolute hatred you have for them.

The mother never said what you quoted. You are scum.

Plane rides are an especially difficult thing for children with autism. There have been kids I've worked with who we spent weeks talking about things like the pressure changes and appropriate behavior for plane passengers. I've heard of some extreme cases involving kids, but this seems like the airline not being reasonable.

There are other modes of travel.

Oh......sorry......we must all give in to the insanity because she's handicapped.

My mistake.

Btw, nothing is worse than an angry passenger on a long flight.....no matter what their problem is.

If i had to put up with one second of that horse shit, i would want my money back from the airline. For the amount i pay for a ticket, i expect there to be order on the ride.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree, hon.

I guess so. I hope that if you ever have someone in your family who is on the spectrum, you don't ever run into anyone like yourself.

Plane rides are an especially difficult thing for children with autism. There have been kids I've worked with who we spent weeks talking about things like the pressure changes and appropriate behavior for plane passengers. I've heard of some extreme cases involving kids, but this seems like the airline not being reasonable.

Oh......sorry......we must all give in to the insanity because she's handicapped.

My mistake.

Btw, nothing is worse than an angry passenger on a long flight.....no matter what their problem is.

If i had to put up with one second of that horse shit, i would want my money back from the airline. For the amount i pay for a ticket, i expect there to be order on the ride.

I'd rather sit next to this girl and her family than an asshole like yourself.

My mistake.

No you wouldnt.

My mistake.

No... you wouldnt.

I would. I can tolerate a child with autism. I can't tolerate shameless assholes.

I guess so. I hope that if you ever have someone in your family who is on the spectrum, you don't ever run into anyone like yourself.
You are being unreasonable. IF I had someone "on the spectrum", I would make damn sure that someone would not be affecting other people not involved or interested in my "spectrum". That's MY job. Not theirs. MY pain. Not theirs. MY sorrow, not theirs.

The family will sue. The airline will settle. The lawyers will get paid and the cottage industry of civil suits will live happily ever after in the form of higher airline tickets, baggage fees and airport parking and service fees.

Please adjust your credit card to its full and upright position. Insure your seatbelt is fastened and your carry on bags are secured beneath the seat in front of you. In the unlikely event of an emergency, a lawyer will be available at the bottom of the emergency escape slide.
SLIDE1.JPG

And furthermore.....those who INSIST that others "tolerate" the "spectrum" people I hope don't have to meet up with people like YOURself.

United did the right thing. PERIOD. Their spectrum problem is not worth the lives of 250 people trying to get to their own spectrums.

And is that the new word for uncontrollable handicapped people? SPECTRUMS?

You are being unreasonable. IF I had someone "on the spectrum", I would make damn sure that someone would not be affecting other people not involved or interested in my "spectrum". That's MY job. Not theirs. MY pain. Not theirs. MY sorrow, not theirs.
Would you agree that saying those words is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR EASIER THAN ACTUALLY HAVING TO LIVE THEM?!

How fucking arrogant of you Gracie. "Oh if I had a child with autism, they would be perfect and life would be soooo easy!"

Un-fucking-believable.

Forum List

Back