family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12

Home schooling is as effective as the home schooling teachers.

One would think this was rather obvious, but apparently it is not.

'We're just average folks': The family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12

Mona Lisa and Kip Harding from Montgomery, Alabama, home-school all ten of their kids - six of whom started college by the age of 12
The remaining four children are ten and under and also aim to go to college early

By Margot Peppers

A mother who home-schools her ten children in Montgomery, Alabama, has opened up about how six of them began their college degrees by the age of 12.

Those of the Harding siblings who have already graduated from college have gone on to become a doctor, an architect, a spacecraft designer and a master's student. Another two - 12 and 14-years-old - are still finishing up their degrees.

But despite the Hardings' incredible achievements at such young ages, their parents - Mona Lisa and Kip - insist they are a family of 'average folks' who simply find and cultivate their children's passions early on.

Read more: The family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12 | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What's the big shock value we're supposed to garner from this, bisexual? This happened all the time before forced public schooling. Ever heard of Abe Lincoln? Maybe even Ben Franklin?

Home schooling is as effective as the home schooling teachers.

One would think this was rather obvious, but apparently it is not.

Test scores of home schooled kids as compared to their government school counterparts certainly suggest that home school teachers (AKA parents) are more effective.

Although I think that is great, that seems awful young, I hope they are allowed to be kids as well.
From the article:
Work and play: Their father says they still have time to be normal kids. 'The expectation is that you're going to have a fun day,' he said of his children. 'Not that you're going to come home with A's'

'We're just average folks': The family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12

Mona Lisa and Kip Harding from Montgomery, Alabama, home-school all ten of their kids - six of whom started college by the age of 12
The remaining four children are ten and under and also aim to go to college early

By Margot Peppers

A mother who home-schools her ten children in Montgomery, Alabama, has opened up about how six of them began their college degrees by the age of 12.

Those of the Harding siblings who have already graduated from college have gone on to become a doctor, an architect, a spacecraft designer and a master's student. Another two - 12 and 14-years-old - are still finishing up their degrees.

But despite the Hardings' incredible achievements at such young ages, their parents - Mona Lisa and Kip - insist they are a family of 'average folks' who simply find and cultivate their children's passions early on.

Read more: The family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12 | Mail Online

That's pretty cool - but it doesn't mean that homeschooling is better than mainstream school. The kids were obviously gifted, taught by a gifted mother.
I think it is more that these parents instilled in their children a desire to learn and become more educated. Once the brain catches on to certain things, the understanding of other things comes easily. The earlier one learns the basics, the faster the subsequent learning comes.

I also suspect that the older siblings helped with the schooling of their younger siblings (and perhaps vice versa). It does seem that they were all at home most of the time.

Besides, when your mother is Mona Lisa, you gotta be special!

Last edited:
Wow, it's probably because they know the year the declaration was signed, which is more than 90% of current public High skrool students

Actually my son was tutoring a college student in calculus at age 14 so they know far more than that. In fact, when my son visited his dorm they were all asking for help! ha! ha! At a liberal private college! The colleges are too busy indoctrinating their students with Alinsky garbage to really teach. Let's face it. The liberals blew it. Meanwhile back at the ranch, we christians were homeschooling our children to replace yours as the new leaders of America.

In the world of chess they'd call it checkmate. This is why the liberals are frantically looking for a way to stop the homeschooling movement. These future leaders of America are Karl Marx free! I'm all for that! - Jeri

Conventional thinking seems to not be a strong ability for many of the right wing public school bashing crowd.
The dynamics of a class room far exceed what a dedicated and able parent would have to deal with home schooling
There is now discipline problems to deal with and they have not mandates from the "no child left behind act," which if you don't know anything about, Read up on it.
Is home schooling a viable entity for some. Of course and if this story is credible it shows that, but what is the percentage of home schooled children to those receiving a public education? Care to look that up or are the statistics not available?
The right wingers who seem to be lemmings in hating and bashing the school system see one example or a few, like this one and use it to try and destroy education in general.
Stupid ideas.

Good for them. But what's the point of this thread? That public school is inferior to home schooling? That every child should be home-schooled?

I doubt that most parents would have the time or be able to afford the lost income to school their children at home. How many parents are working one, two full time jobs just to get by? Should they quit their job(s)?

Hardly checkmate at all. Find some real statistics to back up your ideology of home schooling.

Wow, it's probably because they know the year the declaration was signed, which is more than 90% of current public High skrool students

Actually my son was tutoring a college student in calculus at age 14 so they know far more than that. In fact, when my son visited his dorm they were all asking for help! ha! ha! At a liberal private college! The colleges are too busy indoctrinating their students with Alinsky garbage to really teach. Let's face it. The liberals blew it. Meanwhile back at the ranch, we christians were homeschooling our children to replace yours as the new leaders of America.

In the world of chess they'd call it checkmate. This is why the liberals are frantically looking for a way to stop the homeschooling movement. These future leaders of America are Karl Marx free! I'm all for that! - Jeri

No one shoved Marxism at me and I have been in school a long time.

Yes. Home schooling is definitely not a liberal movement...too much individuality comes out...students learn to think on their own rather than follow the beat of the liberal drum.

I seem to recall reading an article a couple of years ago stating that home schooled students are being sought by major colleges and offered scholarships based on their superior (to public) education.

Keep up the good work.

what public education is to the right wingers is an imagination perpetuated on them by their gods. rushy and hannity and the likes. They have not way of taking in information and disseminating it and drawing a conclusion of their own.
So these are the responses you get from the group that thinks they think individually.

No one shoved Marxism at me and I have been in school a long time.

Why?

What's the rush? They have their whole lives ahead of them. Does making them Doogie Howsers turn them into better doctors, architects or lawyers?

What benefit is it to send 12 year olds to school with 19 year olds? They are social outcasts enough being home schooled, now you send them to be social outcasts in their first large school experience

I think it is more about the parents then the kids

Although I think that is great, that seems awful young, I hope they are allowed to be kids as well.
From the article:
Work and play: Their father says they still have time to be normal kids. 'The expectation is that you're going to have a fun day,' he said of his children. 'Not that you're going to come home with A's'

By Margot Peppers

That's pretty cool - but it doesn't mean that homeschooling is better than mainstream school. The kids were obviously gifted, taught by a gifted mother.
I think it is more that these parents instilled in their children a desire to learn and become more educated. Once the brain catches on to certain things, the understanding of other things comes easily. The earlier one learns the basics, the faster the subsequent learning comes.

I also suspect that the older siblings helped with the schooling of their younger siblings (and perhaps vice versa). It does seem that they were all at home most of the time.

Besides, when your mother is Mona Lisa, you gotta be special!

Homeschooling is far better than public school. Here's why. You are not giving a stranger access to your child to indoctrinate them into their belief system. You are in full control of what is going on. With Cscope being rolled out by govt for educating our children now is the time to get them out of the public school system!! Right now!

The Kings of England were tutored. Why? There is no better education in the world then to be tutored. Homeschooling is tutoring. If both husband and wife work, find some other parents who wish to homeschool and pay one to stay home - you can also rotate... all of the homeschool families I knew while doing it were homeschooling year around. Try to keep it 5 students to a classroom. You want that one on one - individual attention to be there.

About year round homeschooling.... In the summer when america's children are playing all day our children continue to learn and study - lots of fun field trips, a vacation somewhere nice - will be included of course but the learning is never interupted. That should be on going. Most Christian households that are homeschooling have a good structure - consistency - firm boundaries that do not move when the why can't I questions start in..... - they spend alot of time with their children and they are the focus. Parents of homeschoolers spend less on their supplies to homeschool for the year than it costs the average parent to buy all the supplies, gas money driving them back and forth - school buses are too dangerous now - clothing, accessories to start a new school year. If you don't work or your neighbor doesn't? You'd be saving money to homeschool. Look into it. You'll be happy you did and your children will thank you for it one day.

They are free of any marxist indoctrination

Are they free from all indoctrination, or just Marxist? What's the difference between indoctrination and teaching? What's the difference between being educated and being indoctrinated?

You comment brought to mind a woman I met once in Washington, DC at a gathering of activist Christian's which might illustrate what I'm asking.

We were on a bus coming back from the convention center when the subject of Christian schools came up. This young woman told us she taught at a K-7 Christian school in Virginia and that they taught their kids the theory of evolution.

"Great," I said. "What a wonderful education those kids must be getting. You teach them both sides of the evolution vs. creation argument and let them make up their own minds." Allowing students to exercise their powers of critical thinking and decide for themselves. What could be wrong with that?

"Oh, no!" she replied in horror. "We expose them to evolution so they can REFUTE IT WHEN THEY'RE EXPOSED TO IT IN PUBLIC SCHOOL."

To me....THAT is the difference between education and indoctrination.

Why?

What's the rush? They have their whole lives ahead of them. Does making them Doogie Howsers turn them into better doctors, architects or lawyers?

What benefit is it to send 12 year olds to school with 19 year olds? They are social outcasts enough being home schooled, now you send them to be social outcasts in their first large school experience

It isn't about a rush. It is about redeeming the time you have and giving your child the proper structure, opportunities in life, preparing them. Preparing your child for the world starts at an early age. Exposing your children to other children in the public school system today is a very bad idea. There is sex going on in the hallways of some of these schools! The bad language, bullying is off the charts! There is a 50 50 chance your child will be the victim of a bully in a public school and that it will become bad enough for need of intervention. Many children in public schools are commiting suicide these days because the school system isn't doing enough to protect them. Bullying is a huge problem. Homeschoolers never get exposed to such nonsense. Their parents have the good sense to protect them from that until they are grown and can deal with it on a mature level. Its common sense, folks. Consider the following as well :

Children are very impressionable and you don't want your child to be subjected to peer pressure of other children until you get a good foundation under their feet for them to stand on. Give them the chance to grow up with children who are headed for a great future - whose parents have the same ideals you have - they will grow up more confident and won't back down to a liberal professor the way a public school raised child will. They know how to hold their ground and adapt very well to the world once they have been given the right tools and are ahead of the game.

Yes, the world would be sooo much better if all righties could homeskool their children. I can see it now...

Right around the corner, Lakhota. Christians have been homeschooling in large numbers for past 15 years while liberals were dumbing their own children down with public school system. Those who opted for the Catholic schools ended up worse off as the rejects from public school are inside those private schools as well.

Our homeschooled children are going to replace yours as the future leaders of America. It is already happening. You haven't seen anything yet!

Why?

It isn't about a rush. It is about redeeming the time you have and giving your child the proper structure, opportunities in life, preparing them. Preparing your child for the world starts at an early age. Exposing your children to other children in the public school system today is a very bad idea. There is sex going on in the hallways of some of these schools! The bad language, bullying is off the charts! There is a 50 50 chance your child will be the victim of a bully in a public school and that it will become bad enough for need of intervention. Many children in public schools are commiting suicide these days because the school system isn't doing enough to protect them. Bullying is a huge problem. Homeschoolers never get exposed to such nonsense. Their parents have the good sense to protect them from that until they are grown and can deal with it on a mature level. Its common sense, folks. Consider the following as well :

Children are very impressionable and you don't want your child to be subjected to peer pressure of other children until you get a good foundation under their feet for them to stand on. Give them the chance to grow up with children who are headed for a great future - whose parents have the same ideals you have - they will grow up more confident and won't back down to a liberal professor the way a public school raised child will. They know how to hold their ground and adapt very well to the world once they have been given the right tools and are ahead of the game.

Thank you.....I think you nailed it

The primary focus of home schooling is not education but protection from the world. I don't want my kids to go to school with blacks. That school has a lot of poor people or god forbid, non-Christians I need to monitor every exposure my child has in life. I don't trust my child to use the values I have taught him and interact with other children without my direct supervision and approval.

Homeschoolers toss around the term indoctrination. It is they who are indoctrinating their children to a single train of thought. Unwilling to allow their children to see the world through the eyes of others

Yes, the world would be sooo much better if all righties could homeskool their children. I can see it now...

Right around the corner, Lakhota. Christians have been homeschooling in large numbers for past 15 years while liberals were dumbing their own children down with public school system. Those who opted for the Catholic schools ended up worse off as the rejects from public school are inside those private schools as well.

Our homeschooled children are going to replace yours as the future leaders of America. It is already happening. You haven't seen anything yet!

you would be surprised at the number of young adults

that can not tell you the difference between

a phillips and flathead

Forum List

Back