Farmer Prevented from Selling His Crop Because He Supports Traditional Marriage

If you have an opinion that might offend the wrong people, keep your fucking mouth shut.

Especially if you own a business or have a job that is important to you.

Just keep your fucking mouth shut.

He could have just said "I hate fags" and the city couldn't do anything about it, I'd bet. I don't know how his customer base would feel though.

You do not understand the meaning of private property either but most fascist don't.

His farm is a business open to the public. He has to follow the law.
His farm is privately owned property not public property. The market where he is/was selling his goods from his farming operation is public property and he never said gays were not welcome to buy his goods at a public operation.

He said his farm was not open for gay weddings, it's a business, his farm must meet any PA laws applicable to businesses.

If he doesn't want to worry about marrying gays (or jews or Muslims) then he should convert the portion of his farm for weddings into a church.
His farm again is privately owned property, you don't get that. The city has no right to attempt to reach out and affect his selling his produce in a public venue from what was grown on his private property. If you f'ing queers want to sue him over his telling what he wouldn't accept in front of his family on his privately own property go for it but i dearly hope he counter sues and takes everyone behind this shit for everything they own.

His farm is privately owned, it's still a business and there are laws he has to follow. I'm sorry you don't like it but it's nothing new.
What he accepts at his farm is not regulated by the city.

All businesses and individuals should be required to make their political beliefs known. That way kicking demofarts out of the lunch counter should be not only legal but easy.

Watch out, there are some people in this thread calling others Nazis. Just looking out for you, Adolf.
more fascism from the left. I thought you were an anti-fascist. why are you so fascist?

If you have an opinion that might offend the wrong people, keep your fucking mouth shut.

He could have just said "I hate fags" and the city couldn't do anything about it, I'd bet. I don't know how his customer base would feel though.
probably embrace him like they will now. this will most likely be good for his business.

You do not understand the meaning of private property either but most fascist don't.

His farm is privately owned property not public property. The market where he is/was selling his goods from his farming operation is public property and he never said gays were not welcome to buy his goods at a public operation.

He said his farm was not open for gay weddings, it's a business, his farm must meet any PA laws applicable to businesses.

If he doesn't want to worry about marrying gays (or jews or Muslims) then he should convert the portion of his farm for weddings into a church.
His farm again is privately owned property, you don't get that. The city has no right to attempt to reach out and affect his selling his produce in a public venue from what was grown on his private property. If you f'ing queers want to sue him over his telling what he wouldn't accept in front of his family on his privately own property go for it but i dearly hope he counter sues and takes everyone behind this shit for everything they own.

His farm is privately owned, it's still a business and there are laws he has to follow. I'm sorry you don't like it but it's nothing new.

If the Colorado baker wins with SCOTUS that shit is right out the window....did you see the DOJ sided with the baker?

Sounds more like they were asked a current events question. One that's on everybodies mind. I'm sure you'd make the same complaint if they asked about global warming, or DACA.

They were asked a current events question and then they were asked to condemn the president.

Can you quote where they were asked to condemn the president? Also, it's funny, you didn't describe it as an 'ask' when you first posted about it, you said it was required.

Nope, it was because he stated he would not provide the same services to gay couples as heteros.

I went to a ford dealer, and they refused to treat me the same as their other customers. Just because I was driving a toyota. I ought to sue. ;)

Yes, you should sue and get laughed out of court because you don't understand public accommodation laws.

He did. No one is saying he didn't. Contrary to what you might believe, there are no laws mandating what personal opinions to have.

A baker might specialize in making cakes for same sex weddings and STILL voice the opinion that homosexuals are depraved scum that don't deserve to draw another breath. He's following the law.

I went to a ford dealer, and they refused to treat me the same as their other customers. Just because I was driving a toyota. I ought to sue. ;)

Yes, you should sue and get laughed out of court because you don't understand public accommodation laws.

Technically your anus is open for business so maybe you should open it up to gay weddings. Better yet, perhaps we should force you to. But you might enjoy that.

We have freedom of association in America, and just like a bar has a right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, a farmer has a right to refuse access to his farm to people who would engage in activities he finds morally objectionable.

If he runs it like a business, there are laws. Just like if you own a restaurant, it's private property, that doesn't mean you're allowed to let the cockroaches run wild all over the place.

probably embrace him like they will now. this will most likely be good for his business.

Maybe, I guess he played it wrong.

Sounds more like they were asked a current events question. One that's on everybodies mind. I'm sure you'd make the same complaint if they asked about global warming, or DACA.

They were asked a current events question and then they were asked to condemn the president.

Can you quote where they were asked to condemn the president? Also, it's funny, you didn't describe it as an 'ask' when you first posted about it, you said it was required.
Like this was required? Miss America Pageant contestants were being openly asked to condemn president Trump.

When did the Miss America pageant turn into a Nasty Woman protest?

Except it's illegal, he never refused to sell to anyone. The city will pay through the nose for this colossal blunder.

Dumb ass leftists

He refused services at his farm, per his facebook post:

This past fall our family farm stopped booking future wedding ceremonies at our orchard until we could devote the appropriate time to review our policies and how we respectfully communicate and express our beliefs. The Country Mill engages in expressing its purpose and beliefs through the operation of its business and it intentionally communicates messages that promote its owners’ beliefs and declines to communicate messages that violate those beliefs. The Country Mill family and its staff have and will continue to participate in hosting the ceremonies held at our orchard. It remains our deeply held religious belief that marriage is the union of one man and one woman and Country Mill has the First Amendment Right to express and act upon its beliefs. For this reason, Country Mill reserves the right to deny a request for services that would require it to communicate, engage in, or host expression that violates the owners’ sincerely held religious beliefs and conscience. Furthermore, it remains our religious belief that all people should be treated with respect and dignity regardless of their beliefs or background. We appreciate the tolerance offered to us specifically regarding our participation in hosting wedding ceremonies at our family farm.

So, at least get the idea that it's about first amendment rights, though the guy himself doesn't even seem to understand that.

But he's not refusing to marry anyone in East Lansing. He's not refusing to sell apples and cider in East Lansing to anyone.

His farm with the weddings is outside their jurisdiction.

I think that's something for the court case to take up.

The city will lose badly...and should

Honestly, I can't say who will win, but I know you want him to win because you don't like homosexuals and the law really has nothing to do with what you think.
It's not that I don't like homos. They're just disgusting human waste. Other than that, they're stand-up guys.

I disagree. These pricks trying to drive every small and private enterprise out of business need to be taken to task and i don't think anyone should sit back and be silent about it. These people are no better than the pricks at the city here trying to force me with all their bs directed at me into discriminating against my renters for being a mixed couple, a handicap...etc.....

The town does not care whether the farmer supports gay marriage.
Then why did they ban him from selling at the market? ..... :dunno:
Because his primary purpose at the market was not just selling his crop. His farm is a tourist attraction and includes the rental of portions of his property and facilities for various events, including a banquet hall and wedding chapel or set up for outdoor weddings and events. The operation of the market was being used to promote these services to his business. Hence, gay couples inquiring about the use of the facility were being turned away and told that they could not use the facility for a wedding. That put the town in the middle of the awkward position since they had anti-gay discrimination clauses in the town laws. They would have to exempt the farmer from following the town laws and that would make them liable in any law suits against the farmer. In fact, the town would become the "big money" in such a lawsuit.
He could act like a Muslim and get all mad and just blow shit up…

Nope, it was because he stated he would not provide the same services to gay couples as heteros.

He did. No one is saying he didn't. Contrary to what you might believe, there are no laws mandating what personal opinions to have.

A baker might specialize in making cakes for same sex weddings and STILL voice the opinion that homosexuals are depraved scum that don't deserve to draw another breath. He's following the law.

For the last time (probably not) it's not about personal opinions, he stated his farm was not open for gays to get married at. At that point it's no longer opinion and it's actual discrimination. Whether the city ordinance covers this or not is why it's going to court.

The laws do not require the business owner to hold certain opinions. Not so far. If you know of a such a law please enlighten us.

If he runs it like a business, there are laws. Just like if you own a restaurant, it's private property, that doesn't mean you're allowed to let the cockroaches run wild all over the place.
so someone can't refuse business to a white nationist or kkk or white supremacist? Trump Supporter? DOH!

Maybe, I guess he played it wrong.
he will be just fine, the suit will take care of that and his business will flourish.

For the last time (probably not) it's not about personal opinions, he stated his farm was not open for gays to get married at. At that point it's no longer opinion and it's actual discrimination. Whether the city ordinance covers this or not is why it's going to court.

If he was trying to get a permit to hold ceremonies at his farm perhaps the city has a point. Since his request was to sell produce at a farmer's market the city has nothing to say but yes, unless he refuses to sell to gay people.

Forum List

Back