Farmer Prevented from Selling His Crop Because He Supports Traditional Marriage

I went to a ford dealer, and they refused to treat me the same as their other customers. Just because I was driving a toyota. I ought to sue. ;)

Yes, you should sue and get laughed out of court because you don't understand public accommodation laws.
You do not understand the meaning of private property either but most fascist don't.

His farm is a business open to the public. He has to follow the law.

He did. No one is saying he didn't. Contrary to what you might believe, there are no laws mandating what personal opinions to have.

A baker might specialize in making cakes for same sex weddings and STILL voice the opinion that homosexuals are depraved scum that don't deserve to draw another breath. He's following the law.

For the last time (probably not) it's not about personal opinions, he stated his farm was not open for gays to get married at. At that point it's no longer opinion and it's actual discrimination. Whether the city ordinance covers this or not is why it's going to court.
I think the baker's suit in the SCOTUS will settle this even faster.

Dude probably said it on FB. When will people learn that FB is the LAST place to announce ANYTHING? And its owner is a thief and scumbag.

Nope, it was because he stated he would not provide the same services to gay couples as heteros.

I went to a ford dealer, and they refused to treat me the same as their other customers. Just because I was driving a toyota. I ought to sue. ;)

Yes, you should sue and get laughed out of court because you don't understand public accommodation laws.
You do not understand the meaning of private property either but most fascist don't.

He did. No one is saying he didn't. Contrary to what you might believe, there are no laws mandating what personal opinions to have.

A baker might specialize in making cakes for same sex weddings and STILL voice the opinion that homosexuals are depraved scum that don't deserve to draw another breath. He's following the law.
Not in the you must accept my deviance and teach your children to do the same crowd opinion. Many on this board have already said that no one deserve to be able to make a living if they don't go with the deprecate crowd.

His farm is privately owned property not public property. The market where he is/was selling his goods from his farming operation is public property and he never said gays were not welcome to buy his goods at a public operation.

He said his farm was not open for gay weddings, it's a business, his farm must meet any PA laws applicable to businesses.

If he doesn't want to worry about marrying gays (or jews or Muslims) then he should convert the portion of his farm for weddings into a church.
Technically your anus is open for business so maybe you should open it up to gay weddings. Better yet, perhaps we should force you to. But you might enjoy that.

:cuckoo:

We have freedom of association in America, and just like a bar has a right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, a farmer has a right to refuse access to his farm to people who would engage in activities he finds morally objectionable.

Actually a bar does not have the right to refuse service to anyone.

For the last time (probably not) it's not about personal opinions, he stated his farm was not open for gays to get married at. At that point it's no longer opinion and it's actual discrimination. Whether the city ordinance covers this or not is why it's going to court.

Maybe, we'll see how it goes.

He refused services at his farm, per his facebook post:

This past fall our family farm stopped booking future wedding ceremonies at our orchard until we could devote the appropriate time to review our policies and how we respectfully communicate and express our beliefs. The Country Mill engages in expressing its purpose and beliefs through the operation of its business and it intentionally communicates messages that promote its owners’ beliefs and declines to communicate messages that violate those beliefs. The Country Mill family and its staff have and will continue to participate in hosting the ceremonies held at our orchard. It remains our deeply held religious belief that marriage is the union of one man and one woman and Country Mill has the First Amendment Right to express and act upon its beliefs. For this reason, Country Mill reserves the right to deny a request for services that would require it to communicate, engage in, or host expression that violates the owners’ sincerely held religious beliefs and conscience. Furthermore, it remains our religious belief that all people should be treated with respect and dignity regardless of their beliefs or background. We appreciate the tolerance offered to us specifically regarding our participation in hosting wedding ceremonies at our family farm.

So, at least get the idea that it's about first amendment rights, though the guy himself doesn't even seem to understand that.

But he's not refusing to marry anyone in East Lansing. He's not refusing to sell apples and cider in East Lansing to anyone.

His farm with the weddings is outside their jurisdiction.

I think that's something for the court case to take up.

The city will lose badly...and should

Honestly, I can't say who will win, but I know you want him to win because you don't like homosexuals and the law really has nothing to do with what you think.
It's not that I don't like homos. They're just disgusting human waste. Other than that, they're stand-up guys.
anyone who wishes to stick their unit in the wrong hole is

His farm is privately owned property not public property. The market where he is/was selling his goods from his farming operation is public property and he never said gays were not welcome to buy his goods at a public operation.

He said his farm was not open for gay weddings, it's a business, his farm must meet any PA laws applicable to businesses.

If he doesn't want to worry about marrying gays (or jews or Muslims) then he should convert the portion of his farm for weddings into a church.
Technically your anus is open for business so maybe you should open it up to gay weddings. Better yet, perhaps we should force you to. But you might enjoy that.

We have freedom of association in America, and just like a bar has a right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, a farmer has a right to refuse access to his farm to people who would engage in activities he finds morally objectionable.

sure they do. if you don't have shoes or shirt on, already drunk, look drunk, not old enough. it's amazing the things you stoops don't know.

If he was trying to get a permit to hold ceremonies at his farm perhaps the city has a point. Since his request was to sell produce at a farmer's market the city has nothing to say but yes, unless he refuses to sell to gay people.

Nope, sorry...(From the city link within OP's link)

The East Lansing Farmer’s Market 2017 Vendor Guidelines state that market vendors will embody the spirit of the market by complying with the City of East Lansing’s Civil Rights ordinances and the public policy against discrimination contained in Chapter 22 of the East Lansing City Code while at the market and as a general business practice.

Chapter 22 of the East Lansing City Code can be found here: Municode Library.

YOU MIGHT NOT BE INTERESTED IN THE GLEICHSCHALTUNG, BUT THE GLEICHSCHALTUNG IS INTERESTED IN YOU!

Jacques: Farmer gets boot for expressing his beliefs
Freedom of speech no longer exists.
then why are all these stoops from the left on here?
Because they insist we be tolerant of their intolerance..otherwise, we are nazi's?
so you're saying if I don't believe them I can't talk?

If he was trying to get a permit to hold ceremonies at his farm perhaps the city has a point. Since his request was to sell produce at a farmer's market the city has nothing to say but yes, unless he refuses to sell to gay people.

Nope, sorry...(From the city link within OP's link)

The East Lansing Farmer’s Market 2017 Vendor Guidelines state that market vendors will embody the spirit of the market by complying with the City of East Lansing’s Civil Rights ordinances and the public policy against discrimination contained in Chapter 22 of the East Lansing City Code while at the market and as a general business practice.

Chapter 22 of the East Lansing City Code can be found here: Municode Library.

Oh, shit, I missed that. Good catch!

But he's not refusing to marry anyone in East Lansing. He's not refusing to sell apples and cider in East Lansing to anyone.

His farm with the weddings is outside their jurisdiction.

I think that's something for the court case to take up.

The city will lose badly...and should

Honestly, I can't say who will win, but I know you want him to win because you don't like homosexuals and the law really has nothing to do with what you think.
It's not that I don't like homos. They're just disgusting human waste. Other than that, they're stand-up guys.
anyone who wishes to stick their unit in the wrong hole is

sure they do. if you don't have shoes or shirt on, already drunk, look drunk, not old enough. it's amazing the things you stoops don't know.
Even I don't like your looks is sufficient to refuse service to anyone.

And what Supreme Court precedent leads you to believe they will rule the way you want?

Forum List

Back