Father wishes to marry his adopted son

Sure they could be. A couple, wishing to live in a polygamist relationship could add any number of partners through adoption.

This couple agreed to the terms of adoption. So they did so fraudulently. Morally unacceptable.
Oh i don't necessarily disagree that the adoption was wrong.

I just dont find the desire to correct that with a marriage to be wrong

Once they admit to the crime I would think that the State would have little choice but to void the adoption and allow the Marriage.
I would think there would be an emancipation process.

Sure, but that does not relieve the parent from the incest prohibition.

The law on “consensual” incest - Salon.com

This link goes to two such consensual incest cases, both of which ended in convictions.
Ok. They are in legal hot water (possibly)

Doesn’t have an impact on the morality of their actions

I will disagree. If you take a noble and honorable institution, such as adoption, and game it for you're own financial gain (especially when there were other methods legally available to take care of most of you're concerns) that is morally unacceptable.

Oh i don't necessarily disagree that the adoption was wrong.

I just dont find the desire to correct that with a marriage to be wrong

Once they admit to the crime I would think that the State would have little choice but to void the adoption and allow the Marriage.
I would think there would be an emancipation process.

Sure, but that does not relieve the parent from the incest prohibition.

The law on “consensual” incest - Salon.com

This link goes to two such consensual incest cases, both of which ended in convictions.
Ok. They are in legal hot water (possibly)

Doesn’t have an impact on the morality of their actions

I will disagree. If you take a noble and honorable institution, such as adoption, and game it for you're own financial gain (especially when there were other methods legally available to take care of most of you're concerns) that is morally unacceptable.
Im sorry, i thought we were discussing the morality of a "father" and "son" marrying - something i was accused of being a relativist about.

Im sorry, i thought we were discussing the morality of a "father" and "son" marrying - something i was accused of being a relativist about.
You were correctly accused of that and being a moral degenerate and a scumbag...well I added the last there just for clarity.

You were correctly accused of that and being a moral degenerate and a scumbag...well I added the last there just for clarity.
Two things - morality often isn't black and white.
Second, i have stated that i find it always morally reprehensible for a parent to marry a child where such a dynamic exists. However, i do not agree that such a dynamic existed in the case of a 78 year old adopting for legal reasons a 68 year old that he had had a 40 year romantic relationship with

I do not let the law define morality

Second, i have stated that i find it always morally reprehensible for a parent to marry a child where such a dynamic exists. However, i do not agree that such a dynamic existed in the case of a 78 year old adopting for legal reasons a 68 year old that he had had a 40 year romantic relationship with

Good answer!

It existed the moment they signed the document.

Just as it exists for millions of others. The difference? This was a gay couple.

Just as it exists for millions of others. The difference? This was a gay couple.
What existed? A legal relationship, that is all. In no way shape or form, other than in the eyes of the government, was one man ever father or son to the other

What existed? A legal relationship, that is all. In no way shape or form, other than in the eyes of the government, was one man ever father or son to the other
Then why use those terms if it's strictly a business arrangement?

Because the law does, obviously.

Does the law establish morality?

No, when they signed the documents THEY AGREED TO THAT RELATIONSHIP.

You're kidding me. Do you think they ever had the same sort of relationship that you had with your father, or presumably your kids had with you? Was one ever responsible for the care and upbringing of the other?

No. They had a legal father and son relationship, because it best suited their wants and needs in lieu of marriage. But one was never "father" to the "son"

You're kidding me. Do you think they ever had the same sort of relationship that you had with your father, or presumably your kids had with you? Was one ever responsible for the care and upbringing of the other?

No. They had a legal father and son relationship, because it best suited their wants and needs in lieu of marriage. But one was never "father" to the "son"

Until THEY established the relationship.

I guess we just let anyone state whatever they wish.

No one forced them to. They had other legal methods afterall

Even when they create documentation.

Are you really having a tough time with this or are you being wilfully obtuse?

They created a legal relationship after 40 years of a romantic relationship. I do not believe that a legal document ever changed the dynamic between the two.

For example, if a woman meets and becomes romantically involved with a man who has a young son, who she helps raise to adulthood, living in the home but never marrying the man, i would find it morally wrong for her to begin a romantic relationship with the son. She is legally nothing to him but there is still a parent/child dynamic.

In this case there was never a parent/child dynamic, just a legal relationship which does not matter to me morally

They created a legal relationship after 40 years of a romantic relationship. I do not believe that a legal document ever changed the dynamic between the two.

For example, if a woman meets and becomes romantically involved with a man who has a young son, who she helps raise to adulthood, living in the home but never marrying the man, i would find it morally wrong for her to begin a romantic relationship with the son. She is legally nothing to him but there is still a parent/child dynamic.

In this case there was never a parent/child dynamic, just a legal relationship which does not matter to me morally

Except the very relationship THEY CHOSE to accept is one that MUST remain morally pure.

If they had no other way, then perhaps, but that was not the case.

They chose to accept all the benefits and none of the responsibilities.

That is morally unacceptable

Except the very relationship THEY CHOSE to accept is one that MUST remain morally pure.

If they had no other way, then perhaps, but that was not the case.

They chose to accept all the benefits and none of the responsibilities.

That is morally unacceptable
I don't necessarily disagree. I don't know what benefits they gained through adoption they could not otherwise have had, but assuming all things were equal using adoption to "game" the system is wrong.

Correcting that through nullification of the adoption and marriage seems the most moral thing to do now

The law enforces morality. That's why when an adult has sex with your underage child you can go after them and put them in jail. The law serves to reinforce society's deeply held standard of right and wrong.

The law enforces morality. That's why when an adult has sex with your underage child you can go after them and put them in jail. The law serves to reinforce society's deeply held standard of right and wrong.

But no one involved was underaged. Instead, they were senior citizens.

So where is the 'immorality'?

The immorality is abusing a system designed to get children and invalids into caring homes.

The immorality is abusing a system designed to get children and invalids into caring homes.

And what was the harm caused, exactly?

The law enforces morality.
Oh that's so sad

Forum List

Back