Favorite Dean Koontz Cliches

WillMunny

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
I have a love-hate relationship with Dean Koontz. He's a great storyteller but a lousy writer. He comes up with brilliantly imaginative ideas that he executes so badly he's often frustrating to read, because I see all the wasted potential in that idea.

- His main characters are always a lonely, tough-yet-sensitive hero cop and an impossibly beautiful, impossibly rich female damsel-in-distress. Often including an annoyingly brilliant, precocious child and a golden retriever dog. Would it kill writers to come up with an inept, bumbling child character who isn't somehow psychic?

- His dialogue is as excruciating as anything from the Star Wars prequels. I think it's because he has the John-Grisham-syndrome of having no sense of humor at all. His books don't have that funny-in-a-sick-way sense of mischief you get from a Thomas Harris or Stephen King or Clive Barker.

- Even though I often agree with him politically, his preachiness is really hard to take because it distracts from the story, has nothing to do with the story, and is done is a bitchy, snobby, pissy way. Please keep politics out of my fictional entertainment, even if I agree with it.

- His overflowery purple prose is really tiresome, especially in his most overrated, stupidest, idiotically plotted book, Intensity, in which he spent multiple paragraphs describing the feeling of biting into a chocolate bar. This plot expects me to believe that a killer with such extreme heightened senses wouldn't notice a stowaway in his RV on a 500 mile drive. And expects me to believe that in his various stops, she would rather play cat-and-mouse games with him instead of wasting a million opportunities in which she could have called the police. All because she overheard him mentioning having a prisoner in his remote cabin. Riiiiiight. I've never read a more ridiculously-plotted story in my life!

How many of his books have you read? Earlier writings? Or more current?

One of his earliest books is called 'Icebound'.......no cops, kids or dogs...or even monsters or villains.

One of his earliest books is called 'Icebound'.......no cops, kids or dogs...or even monsters or villains.

I've read maybe over a dozen or so Koontz books: Phantoms (my fave), Whispers, Dragon Tears, Winter Moon, Servants of Twilight, Door to December (another brilliant idea ruined by sheer sappiness), Cold Fire, Intensity and several others I don't remember offhand. Wondrous ideas with bad execution.

I've read maybe over a dozen or so Koontz books: Phantoms (my fave), Whispers, Dragon Tears, Winter Moon, Servants of Twilight, Door to December (another brilliant idea ruined by sheer sappiness), Cold Fire, Intensity and several others I don't remember offhand. Wondrous ideas with bad execution.

I didn't care too much for Door to December either and was the last one of his I read and that was 20 years ago. I just haven't made the time to sit down to a good book.

I really liked Dragon Tears.....because he had also written from the dogs perspective and I had thought was a unique approach in telling the story.

But I agree, that after reading several books of any author.....they end up being similar one to another. Most of Koontz books has some kind of 'monster' of sorts and I suppose that writing as many books as he has (which he's probably under some kind of contract to produce) sometimes he gets stale when trying to keep up with demand.

Hideaway and Icebound were my favorites.........and actually Icebound didn't really have any monster, but more about human survival and was really quite a different take from his normal.

Forum List

Back