FBI director blames the internet

It isn't, you just said something crazy and I corrected you.

You are the one that said something crazy, because people launch attacks on public figures in crowds all the time.

Not in the USA they don't. But if crazy people did it half the time there wouldn't be any public figures left in the country.

Really? So, all those attacks on police, or city officials, or governors, or even schools never happened.

Got it.

You know he didn't say that.

He said that the internet contributed to this event.

And it really is his job to keep you safe. It is his job to do risk management for your safety.

He didn't propose doing anything, he just expressed his opinion.

So you are suddenly opposed to free speech?

His job is not to keep me safe, his job is investigate crimes and arrest criminals. I keep me safe, and if I fail I pay the price.

What does the title director of the FBI/Homeland security mean to you?

That you have no idea what you are talking about. The director of the FBI and the Secretary of Homeland security are two different positions. Anyway, homeland security is not about keeping me safe, it is about securing the country. If their job was to keep me safe I could sue them every time I stubbed my toe because they were not keeping me safe.

oh I see so it's fine when the media speaks out against lets say Rush Limbaugh or Sarah Palin, but it's not ok when the FBI director says Americans should have thier rights taken away? That just desn't sound fine to me.

You know he didn't say that.

He said that the internet contributed to this event.

And it really is his job to keep you safe. It is his job to do risk management for your safety.

He didn't propose doing anything, he just expressed his opinion.

So you are suddenly opposed to free speech?

Thats ok I do not want his safety. I can protect myself

Oh he did say some web site should be shut down

FBI — FBI Says Web "Spoofing" Scams are a Growing Problem

What web site will he dictate to be a scam?

Eric Holder wants the internet censured as well
Eyeblast.tv

I foresee a bunch of hysterical lefties calling for 'control' of the net.

They've already made the move for control via Net Neutrality and the recent Federally Controlled ID initiative.

Wow, you seriously don't know what the term 'Net Neutrality' means.

It means that internet service sproviders are not allowed to classify internet traffic and charge customers based on the type of usage. They provide connectivity and bandwidth and have to keep their noses out of their customers business.

It's a law to protect freedom on the internet.

Why do we need it? Is there some sort of massive conspiracy to keep you from watching what you want to when you want to?

So what to do?
The only other option seems to be to make the net safe for crazy people?

there is actually a third alternative. We accept that some people are crazy, and stop trying to blame other people for what they do. Crazy people will always find something that will trigger them, or feed their delusions.

So those that post things that contrirbute to or trigger an episode bear no responsibility and therefore should not modify their actions?

If you can somehow prove proximate cause feel free to argue your case and I might even support doing something about it. Vague worries about nebulous threats are not very convincing.

What a perfect example to destroy your argument. Assange has not been charged with anything under US law, despite the fact that the entire DoJ has been trying to find something to charge him with. How exactly does using him as an example prove that you have any idea of what you are trying to prove?

I am not trying to prove anything.

The mere fact that nearly everybody in the country almost universally agrees that Julian Assange posted online what amounts to a "criminal disclosure" formidably supports the point I am asserting.

There are myriad exceptions to "free speech". For example insurrection (to rebellion) is not free speech. But there are dozens of exceptions.

So what to do?
The only other option seems to be to make the net safe for crazy people?

there is actually a third alternative. We accept that some people are crazy, and stop trying to blame other people for what they do. Crazy people will always find something that will trigger them, or feed their delusions.

So those that post things that contrirbute to or trigger an episode bear no responsibility and therefore should not modify their actions?

No they should be responsible.

You are the one that said something crazy, because people launch attacks on public figures in crowds all the time.

Not in the USA they don't. But if crazy people did it half the time there wouldn't be any public figures left in the country.

Really? So, all those attacks on police, or city officials, or governors, or even schools never happened.

Got it.

police are seldom public figures.

Assume that at least 5-10 million Americans are "crazy". Have there been 5-10 million attacks on public officials in the US in the last 70 years?

Do the math.

That you have no idea what you are talking about. The director of the FBI and the Secretary of Homeland security are two different positions..

The FBI is a sub dept within the larger and more comprehensive Homeland security dept.

here is the opening sentence from the FBI homepage "about us" page:

Our mission is to help protect you, your children, your communities, and your businesses from the most dangerous threats facing our nation—from international and domestic terrorists to spies on U.S. soil…from cyber villains to corrupt government officials…from mobsters to violent street gangs…from child predators to serial killers. Along the way, we help defend and uphold our nation’s economy, physical and electronic infrastructure, and democracy. Learn more about how we have evolved into a more proactive, threat-driven security agency in recent years.

FBI — About Us

enjoy your crow

They've already made the move for control via Net Neutrality and the recent Federally Controlled ID initiative.

Wow, you seriously don't know what the term 'Net Neutrality' means.

It means that internet service sproviders are not allowed to classify internet traffic and charge customers based on the type of usage. They provide connectivity and bandwidth and have to keep their noses out of their customers business.

It's a law to protect freedom on the internet.

they're not really interested in what it really is.

I didnt see you as so trusting of the Government.

If you can somehow prove proximate cause feel free to argue your case and I might even support doing something about it. Vague worries about nebulous threats are not very convincing.

Kinda hard to prove. Sort of like getting cancer, with so many various carcinogens around who is to say what or what combination of things caused it.
However if modifying our behaviour can likely make things better isn't that what improving ourselves as humans and Americans is all about?

That you have no idea what you are talking about. The director of the FBI and the Secretary of Homeland security are two different positions..

The FBI is a sub dept within the larger and more comprehensive Homeland security dept.

Our mission is to help protect you, your children, your communities, and your businesses from the most dangerous threats facing our nation—from international and domestic terrorists to spies on U.S. soil…from cyber villains to corrupt government officials…from mobsters to violent street gangs…from child predators to serial killers. Along the way, we help defend and uphold our nation’s economy, physical and electronic infrastructure, and democracy. Learn more about how we have evolved into a more proactive, threat-driven security agency in recent years.

FBI — About Us

enjoy your crow

Yeah Walmart is under HLS now.

What a perfect example to destroy your argument. Assange has not been charged with anything under US law, despite the fact that the entire DoJ has been trying to find something to charge him with. How exactly does using him as an example prove that you have any idea of what you are trying to prove?

I am not trying to prove anything.

The mere fact that nearly everybody in the country almost universally agrees that Julian Assange posted online what amounts to a "criminal disclosure" formidably supports the point I am asserting.

There are myriad exceptions to "free speech". For example insurrection (to rebellion) is not free speech. But there are dozens of exceptions.

No, it just proves that nearly everybody in the country does not understand the law. Was it also criminal disclosure when the New York Times posted the same thing? When they published the Pentagon Papers? Were they successfully prosecuted for the any of the multiple times they published state secrets?

The answer to every single one of those questions is no, just in case you are stupid enough to try and prove otherwise. There are exceptions to free speech in this country, but you are completely wrong about what they are, or how many exist.

FBI — About Us

enjoy your crow

Where does that say anything about keeping me, as opposed to the country, safe? And, since you are attempting to use their hyperbole to prove me wrong, how do they uphold the economy, bridges (aka infrastructure) or democracy? Were they upholding democracy when they went after Bush's enemies? Nixon's?

Kinda hard to prove. Sort of like getting cancer, with so many various carcinogens around who is to say what or what combination of things caused it.
However if modifying our behaviour can likely make things better isn't that what improving ourselves as humans and Americans is all about?

All modifying our behavior will accomplish is that we will be left without anyone to blame when something like this happens. Not that we really have anyone to blame anyway, but only the intelligent among us realize it.

This is how it begins.

Next will be the 'general welfare' clause to pass laws against political speech.

All modifying our behavior will accomplish is that we will be left without anyone to blame when something like this happens. Not that we really have anyone to blame anyway, but only the intelligent among us realize it.

That seemed a bit circular...

So it is not Obama's fault?

And we should keep up our rude and fearmongering behaviour becuase we are blameless for it's possible results?
I just think we should be nicer because it is an improvement to be nicer.
As an atheist I have pretty much lived by the golden rule.
And not the rule of do it to others before they do it to you.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back