FBI Turns Up on Doorstep of Trump Supporter Who Wasn't Even at the US Capitol on January

The last was a general statement. Lazy investigators take those kinds of shortcuts.
custodial means a lot of different things,
NO, it doesn't.
It means you are in custody.

"In Miranda, the Court held that a defendant cannot be questioned by police in the context of a custodial interrogation"
in this case she might have been in custody.
She wasn't.
If she asked the agents to leave and they refused she would have been in custody.
NO, she wouldn't.
She was frightened according to the story and was more cooperative than she should have been.
Why not?
She didn't do anything wrong, and she knew it.
The whole visit was a means for the agents to get information on her whereabouts when they didn’t have enough evidence for a warrant.
NO SHIT.
THAT'S what the FBI, the police, the sheriff does.

She was lucky the agents didn’t try to entrap her.

You are required to present license and registration when driving. Driving is a privilege.
BUT.........The cops may try to entrap you.
Possession of Marijuana is a Federal Crime.
NO, it isn't.
It could be.
Federal law enforcement authorities do not prosecute medical or even recreational marijuana use as long as people adhere to the law of the state in which they live and do not sell marijuana across state lines.
People have been busted for exactly that. It’s called leverage, “cooperate or go to prison for years for possession”. Like I said lazy investigators take shortcuts.
BUT, she did cooperate.

YES, they did.
When someone calls the FBI, it's their job to check it out.
Just like the police do.

It wasn't Trump's pity rally at the Ellipse park, they were checking out.
It was the capitol riot that followed.

"FBI agents told her they had received an anonymous tip that she was at the Capitol on January 6. She invited them into her home and showed them her calendars to show that she hadn’t been at the Capitol on that day'.

So, they left.
WTF is the BFD?

MAGA cult hysterics.................as usual.
Again, there was no suspected crime to investigate

Attending a rally is not a crime

In any event she wasn't there

So if there was a tipster that person committed a felony and needs to go to jail

And if the FBI is lying they need to be punished

Again, there was no suspected crime to investigate
YES, there was, you moron.
Attending a rally is not a crime
The FBI wasn't there to see if Gallager was at Trump's pity rally.
They were there to see if she was at the capitol, when it was attacked.
In any event she wasn't there
NO, SHIT.
So if there was a tipster that person committed a felony and needs to go to jail

U.S. Capitol Violence​

The FBI is seeking the public’s assistance in identifying individuals who made unlawful entry into the U.S. Capitol building and committed various other alleged criminal violations, such as destruction of property, assaulting law enforcement personnel, targeting members of the media for assault, and other unlawful conduct, on January 6, 2021, in Washington, D.C.

I understand that repeatedly providing tips with no investigative value will result in my tips not being considered.
I understand that providing false information could subject me to fine, imprisonment, or both (Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 1001).

And if the FBI is lying they need to be punished

Gee, if the Chinese have the goods on our sitting President because his brother and son have been making millions selling access to the White House but Hunter is a crack addict whoremonger who was too stupid to cover his tracks then YES the FBI needs to investigate to make sure our country's best interests haven't been compromised by a President the Chinese now OWN!

So you still think Hunter is not under investigation?

Except the FBI didn't have a single piece of evidence indicating that. If they had gotten a simple search warrant for her cell phone metadata, they could have established that the “tip” was a lie. That could have been done on line and the phone in a few minutes. Instead they wasted multiple manhours of agent’s time and expensive gasoline for the Suburbans agents typically drive to ask questions of an innocent person,

:itsok:

You should apply for Christopher Wray's job.

YES, there was, you moron.

The FBI wasn't there to see if Gallager was at Trump's pity rally.
They were there to see if she was at the capitol, when it was attacked.

NO, SHIT.

U.S. Capitol Violence​

The FBI is seeking the public’s assistance in identifying individuals who made unlawful entry into the U.S. Capitol building and committed various other alleged criminal violations, such as destruction of property, assaulting law enforcement personnel, targeting members of the media for assault, and other unlawful conduct, on January 6, 2021, in Washington, D.C.

I understand that repeatedly providing tips with no investigative value will result in my tips not being considered.
I understand that providing false information could subject me to fine, imprisonment, or both (Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 1001).
So is this the way our justice system works now? The FBI shows up at your house and you need to prove that you weren't at the Capital on 1/6 or you face arrest?

Cops don’t show up at your door unless they have nearly decided to arrest you. If they have questions, they simply call and ask you to come down to their office for an interview.

That is not true at all. Now you're making up shit to cover the lie you got caught telling.

A phone call is “talking to the woman”. But it’s much easier to say no to an “interview” over the phone than it is when several armed agents show up at your door.
I’m a law-abiding citizen, but my response to cops or federal agents coming to my door to ask questions would be a polite “I have nothing to say without a lawyer present. When can we schedule an interview with my attorney present”. I’m sure they wouldn’t appreciate that, but it’s my right under the Constitution.

Which was also the right of Lisa Gallagher's.

They got an ANONYMOUS tip. That lowers the credibility right there. So on the basis of a less than reliable tip, they load three expensively trained agents who average TWENTY NINE DOLLARS AN HOUR each in salary into a Suburban that gets seventeen miles per gallon to go talk to a woman as the FIRST STEP in an investigation? That’s absurd. I wanted to be a cop at one point and nearly got an AA degree in Admin of Justice. You don’t conduct personal interviews with suspects until you have your facts in a row so that you can detect lies from the suspect. Interviewing witnesses is one thing, but this woman was a suspect. The only reasonable explanation for this is that the agents were trying to steamroller her in violation of the Miranda Decision and prevent her from exercising her fifth amendment rights. This kind of conduct on the part of professional LEOs stinks and should not be permitted.

LOL

What kind of lame ass excuse is that??

You realize they're getting paid whether they drive to Lisa Gallagher's home, hang out at an office, or drive to Dunkin Donuts, don't you?

:cuckoo:

No, Miranda warnings have to be given before a SUSPECT is questioned. Police always try to avoid that, it’s why the first words out of your mouth should be “am I a suspect and am I being detained?”

You have no idea what you're talking about. Miranda rights only have to be read when police take you into custody.

The big deal is people trying to cooperate with the FBI have been convicted of lying to the FBI and jailed for simple mistakes and oversights. The only smart thing to do is not talk without a lawyer present to protect you. By inviting the agents into her house, she was allowing them to arrest her for anything illegal they saw lying around. She essentially waived her fourth amendment rights against a cursory search.

Great, so don't lie to the FBI then. Simple, no?

The last was a general statement. Lazy investigators take those kinds of shortcuts.
custodial means a lot of different things, in this case she might have been in custody. If she asked the agents to leave and they refused she would have been in custody. She was frightened according to the story and was more cooperative than she should have been. The whole visit was a means for the agents to get information on her whereabouts when they didn’t have enough evidence for a warrant.

Holy shit. She was never in custody. Custody means you are not free to leave. Or in her case, being in her own home, restrained by police.

And I also disagree with you about how she handled it. Had she done as you suggest, it would have increased suspicion that she was hiding something and would have led credibility to the tip and brought more scrutiny upon herself. With what she did, she was able to show the FBI she wasn't even there that day and the tip was unfounded. Potentially, they can go after the tipster now for filing a false complaint.

You really don't even grasp why that's wrong, Smokin' which amazes me! That's NOT the way it's always been. Not even close.
WTF?
AND 2 wows if I could give them.

What did the FBI used to do, when they wanted to talk to a person?
Mail a letter?

The story says it was an anonymous tip. No, Miranda warnings have to be given before a SUSPECT is questioned. Police always try to avoid that, it’s why the first words out of your mouth should be “am I a suspect and am I being detained?” if the answer to either is yes, the next and last thing out of your mouth should be “ I want an attorney”.

it’s not a citizen’s job to help police “get anything done”. It’s the job of LEOs to investigate crimes within the boundaries of the law and constitution, not to take the easy road of bullying and/or deceiving intervenes or suspects.
I would not have invited them in and brought the calender to the doorway.

Forum List

Back