Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

what is the fucking end game here? Do these morons expect a court to order Congress to pass a budget and for Trump to sign it? For real.

This case should be laughed out of court on day one.

Why should they fund the Wall...Mexico is going to pay for it.
Thank you for reminding me how President Trump and Republicans have allowed the Democrats to control the narrative regarding the funding of the wall.

What I mean by that is this:

The wall could have been funded by now 'by Mexico' in that every year we give billions of dollars in foreign aid to corrupt South American nations that do not use that money to improve their nation or the plight of their people. We do not set conditions on the billions and billions of dollars we continue to automatically hand out annually but instead continue to shovel billions of tax payer dollars into a 'hole'. Instead of continuing to hand out billions to these nations who facilitate the illegal immigration into / invasion of the US, in an automatic repetitive habit each year like Pavlov's dog salivating every time a bell rang, we should have used the money by now ot secure the border and prevent illegal immigration and to care for the millions of their people who are here already.....the $12 million Congress just promised to Venezuela, Argentina, and Mexico is more than twice what the President is asking for.

Secondly, the President and GOP have allowed Democrats / snowflakes, who are obstructing and making it impossible for the President to keep his promise, to somehow argue that the United States should not / that it is a bad thing for the United States to pay for its own securing of our borders, ensuring our national security, and protecting US citizens.

If one way does not work then the smartest / best thing in the interest of the US is to go a different route to get this done. Who pays for finally ensuring our sovereignty, to secure our borders, and to protect Americans is not as important as finally doing it. Democrats have not only shown they are against paying for it but also seeing it done, despite vot9ing for it in 2007.

The union said employees can’t be forced to work without pay.

A union representing federal workers sued the government Monday over the partial shutdown, saying it was illegal to have hundreds of thousands of employees work without pay during the funding lapse.

The American Federation of Government Employees filed the lawsuit on the shutdown’s 10th day, with no signs of an imminent resolution between Congress and the White House. The union said withholding the pay of workers who continue to clock in during the shutdown runs afoul of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Great Depression-era law establishing a minimum wage and overtime pay.

“This is not an acceptable way for any employer, let alone the U.S. government, to treat its employees,” Heidi Burakiewicz, a lawyer representing the workers, said in a statement. “These employees still need to pay childcare expenses, buy gas, and incur other expenses to go to work every day and yet, they are not getting paid. It is a blatant violation.”

Some 380,000 federal employees have been furloughed during the shutdown, meaning they are out of a job until lawmakers reach a funding agreement. But another 420,000 are continuing to work in “essential” capacities such as in law enforcement, but are not being paid.

After previous shutdowns, Congress has passed legislation to retroactively pay furloughed employees and those who worked through the closures. But in the meantime, all those workers have bills to pay. Those who don’t have deep enough savings will face some hard choices if the shutdown continues to grind on.

AFGE previously sued the government under the same claims after the 2013 shutdown, which lasted 16 days. A judge later ruled that around 25,000 workers were owed double pay due to damages.

More: Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

Sounds reasonable to me. What do you think?

I used to work for the Post Office. Included in the contract was the phrase "needs of the service". Meant that I agreed that my hours, or lack thereof, were determined by whether or not they needed me. Mostly, it enabled them to declare mandatory overtime during busy seasons, but it also allowed them to cut hours when there just wasn't much to do.

I can't say for certain, but I'm fairly certain most if not all government employment contracts include that provision.
that only applies to the PTF's and casuals on the letter carrier side,full time carriers are guaranteed at least 8 hours of work...

First, I wasn't a carrier. I worked in the processing center, in the mail forwarding department.

Second, we had guaranteed minimum hours, as well (although I believe it was less than the basic 40-hour workweek); however, they only applied in cases where the Postal Service was otherwise functioning normally, and simply didn't have a lot of work. For example, in my department, the slow periods were in winter, around the holidays, because not many people move that time of year. The minimum weekly hour guarantee didn't apply in the event of a budget shutdown, though.

A union representing federal workers sued the government Monday over the partial shutdown, saying it was illegal to have hundreds of thousands of employees work without pay during the funding lapse.

The American Federation of Government Employees filed the lawsuit on the shutdown’s 10th day, with no signs of an imminent resolution between Congress and the White House. The union said withholding the pay of workers who continue to clock in during the shutdown runs afoul of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Great Depression-era law establishing a minimum wage and overtime pay.

“This is not an acceptable way for any employer, let alone the U.S. government, to treat its employees,” Heidi Burakiewicz, a lawyer representing the workers, said in a statement. “These employees still need to pay childcare expenses, buy gas, and incur other expenses to go to work every day and yet, they are not getting paid. It is a blatant violation.”

Some 380,000 federal employees have been furloughed during the shutdown, meaning they are out of a job until lawmakers reach a funding agreement. But another 420,000 are continuing to work in “essential” capacities such as in law enforcement, but are not being paid.

After previous shutdowns, Congress has passed legislation to retroactively pay furloughed employees and those who worked through the closures. But in the meantime, all those workers have bills to pay. Those who don’t have deep enough savings will face some hard choices if the shutdown continues to grind on.

AFGE previously sued the government under the same claims after the 2013 shutdown, which lasted 16 days. A judge later ruled that around 25,000 workers were owed double pay due to damages.

More: Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

Blah blah blah...Reagan fired all the union air traffic controllers with the stroke of a pen. Trump could do the same thing if some one were to remind him about the dispute.

Blah blah blah...Reagan fired all the union air traffic controllers with the stroke of a pen. Trump could do the same thing if some one were to remind him about the dispute.
He should go ahead and try....but he won't because he's all talk and no action.

what is the fucking end game here? Do these morons expect a court to order Congress to pass a budget and for Trump to sign it? For real.

This case should be laughed out of court on day one.
No...they shouldn't have to report to work if they aren't being paid....don't you get it?

Time to break the union.
So you support making people work without pay....there's a name for that, you know.

He would fire them all if someone were to remind him about the air traffic controller strike.

Do you want to call him?

A great many hard working citizens are not allowed to go to work thanks tor you god in the White House. But all you care about is pleasing your god
No, they're not hard working citizens. They're drones and paper shufflers on the government dole. They're democrat pawns. They're "nonessential". They should be laid off and go find real productive jobs.

Such horseshit. You have no clue what you are talking about. They are people just like you and I who just want to do their job and provide for their family. They are no more "on the dole" than members of the military, all of them are providing a service to their country. There are good ones and bad ones, just like in every walk of life. But all you can do is keep parroting that party talking points while choosing to remain ignorant of the facts.

When I was in the Corps and stationed in Okinawa we would get about 5 to 7 typhoons a year. During the typhoon all the nonessential personnel were restricted to their quarters. Using your logic about nonessential, that means 90% of the base should have been booted from the military and made to go find real productive jobs.

I hope you are not claiming that all civil servants provide value to the country. Because I worked as a government contractor for over 40 years and I knew hundreds of GS employees that did absolutely nothing.
and in my 33 years in the PO i seen a few contractors who tried to take the govt for as much money as they could and did subpar work...

That is a good point...when we turned over many of the base services to a contractor shit went downhill rapidly
i hear ya....

I used to work for the Post Office. Included in the contract was the phrase "needs of the service". Meant that I agreed that my hours, or lack thereof, were determined by whether or not they needed me. Mostly, it enabled them to declare mandatory overtime during busy seasons, but it also allowed them to cut hours when there just wasn't much to do.

I can't say for certain, but I'm fairly certain most if not all government employment contracts include that provision.
that only applies to the PTF's and casuals on the letter carrier side,full time carriers are guaranteed at least 8 hours of work...

First, I wasn't a carrier. I worked in the processing center, in the mail forwarding department.

Second, we had guaranteed minimum hours, as well (although I believe it was less than the basic 40-hour workweek); however, they only applied in cases where the Postal Service was otherwise functioning normally, and simply didn't have a lot of work. For example, in my department, the slow periods were in winter, around the holidays, because not many people move that time of year. The minimum weekly hour guarantee didn't apply in the event of a budget shutdown, though.
ah the mail forwarding processing center....me and about 5 other carriers had to take a tour of the one in Santa Ana Ca so we can get a better idea of the problems of why some pieces of mail cannot be forwarded.....it was interesting....

I don't really care about these federal workers. They are parasites off those of us who work in the private sector and don't have all the protections they do.

Like the border patrol agents who aren't being paid love? Those deadbeats as well?

ah the mail forwarding processing center....me and about 5 other carriers had to take a tour of the one in Santa Ana Ca so we can get a better idea of the problems of why some pieces of mail cannot be forwarded.....it was interesting....

It suited me very well. I type incredibly fast, with a near-perfect accuracy, and I'm not subject to carpal tunnel or any other such issues, so I'm perfectly capable of sitting at a machine and typing for a 12-hour day without minding at all.

Sadly, when the USPS started losing business and needed to cut expenses, they consolidated my office with another one and moved it to another city. As most of my co-workers had been with the USPS since I was in grade school, I was among those laid off. My supervisors weren't happy about it, either, because their productivity rates took a huge hit.

It suited me very well. I type incredibly fast, with a near-perfect accuracy, and I'm not subject to carpal tunnel or any other such issues, so I'm perfectly capable of sitting at a machine and typing for a 12-hour day without minding at all.

Sadly, when the USPS started losing business and needed to cut expenses, they consolidated my office with another one and moved it to another city. As most of my co-workers had been with the USPS since I was in grade school, I was among those laid off. My supervisors weren't happy about it, either, because their productivity rates took a huge hit.
yep seniority rules in the PO.....

yep seniority rules in the PO.....

That, and veteran status. When I took the Postal Service exam, I had an almost-perfect score on it. I went on the register at the top of the list . . . behind 7 veterans and 2 combat veterans with lower scores. Mind you, I'm not complaining. It always seemed appropriate to me that the government take a special interest in employing those who are willing to risk their lives for their country. But I digress.

One of the two combat veterans also passed the typing requirements and was hired in my department right before me. She was a good worker . . . but she wasn't me. She stayed on and transferred with the department to their new city. *shrug*

The Trump shutdown is not only hurting unpaid federal employees - it is hurting our national parks.

Filth spreads as overused restrooms and trash bins are locked, causing public health concerns.

Some National Parks are being overwhelmed by trash, vandalism, human feces and destructive off-roading while most personnel are gone during the government shutdown, according to reports from remaining workers and visitors.

“It’s so heartbreaking. There is more trash and human waste and disregard for the rules than I’ve seen in my four years living here,” Dakota Snider, 24, who works in California’s Yosemite National Park, told The Associated Press. “It’s a free-for-all.”

Some visitors were seen dumping bags of garbage from their cars at Yosemite. Two campgrounds and a redwood grove were closed because of “human waste issues and lack of staffing,” a park statement said. People were using the spots as open-air bathrooms after overused restrooms were closed, the Los Angeles Times reported.

“With restrooms closed, some visitors are opting to deposit their waste in natural areas adjacent to high traffic areas, which creates a health hazard for other visitors,” National Parks Service spokesman Andrew Munoz told the Times.

The Trump administration initially kept most of the parks open, but there are only skeleton staffs during the shutdown to make certain visitors follow the rules from no littering to no hunting. At the same time, the number of visitors surged because there’s no one to collect admission fees.

Now areas and entire parks are being closed because of garbage, human waste — and snow. Arches and Canyonlands in Utah and other areas have been closed because there’s no money for plowing. Utah had been paying to staff up all five of its national parks but will continue to staff only Zion in the new year, AP reported.

Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado has locked its restrooms and trash bins “due to human waste issues, wildlife concerns and overall public health,” a notice on the park website said. Officials also closed the main roadways, which are covered with snow.

‘IT’S A FREE-FOR ALL’

National Parks Getting Trashed During Government Shutdown

Comparing the Tea Party Rallies and Occupy Wall Street, we can guess which portions of our population can't act civilized without being constantly supervised.
What ever happened to those Tea Party Patriots once Republicans started running up debt?

I guess Fox News stopped calling them out

One of the post above brought up veterans...

More than 30% of the Fed workforce are Veterans.

Do all of you attacking Fed employees also consider these veterans to be the worthless and all the other things that fed employees have been called in this thread?

He would fire them all if someone were to remind him about the air traffic controller strike.

Do you want to call him?
Go right ahead....tell tiny trump to fire workers who don't want to work if they aren't getting paid. He's all in on gipping people of their earned pay.

Do all of you attacking Fed employees also consider these veterans to be the worthless and all the other things that fed employees have been called in this thread?

I consider them to be subject to the ups and downs that go with the job, same as everyone else.

i was told the PO has just under 240,000....in my office we had guys from Vietnam too Iraq and Afghanistan.....

Agree. However, that's their responsibility, not mine.
agreed, but everyone should be able to get quality health care.....

no one in the USA, legally or illegally, is being denied health care. They weren't before ACA and they aren't now. Stop lying about this.
you have a reading problem?....ok let me explain this to you....i never said being denied health care,i said able to get quality health care....hope that was easier for you to understand....

ok, I'll use your adjective. No one in the USA, legally or illegally was or is being denied quality health care, before or after ACA. NO ONE. Those of us who paid covered those who couldn't or wouldn't.
sorry i knew more than one person with insurance who had sub-par medical care in the area they lived.....if they needed quality care they had to go a hundred miles to a bigger city.....plus i delivered mail to "poorer" people who were on medicaid who did not get the kind of treatment i was getting for the same problem because medicaid would not pay for it...

OK, so what? healthcare is not a constitutional entitlement. do you think you and Pelosi get the same medical care? How about you and Madonna? Life is not ever equal or fair. that's just the way it is and always has been and always will be.

Forum List

Back