Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

The union said employees can’t be forced to work without pay.

A union representing federal workers sued the government Monday over the partial shutdown, saying it was illegal to have hundreds of thousands of employees work without pay during the funding lapse.

The American Federation of Government Employees filed the lawsuit on the shutdown’s 10th day, with no signs of an imminent resolution between Congress and the White House. The union said withholding the pay of workers who continue to clock in during the shutdown runs afoul of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Great Depression-era law establishing a minimum wage and overtime pay.

“This is not an acceptable way for any employer, let alone the U.S. government, to treat its employees,” Heidi Burakiewicz, a lawyer representing the workers, said in a statement. “These employees still need to pay childcare expenses, buy gas, and incur other expenses to go to work every day and yet, they are not getting paid. It is a blatant violation.”

Some 380,000 federal employees have been furloughed during the shutdown, meaning they are out of a job until lawmakers reach a funding agreement. But another 420,000 are continuing to work in “essential” capacities such as in law enforcement, but are not being paid.

After previous shutdowns, Congress has passed legislation to retroactively pay furloughed employees and those who worked through the closures. But in the meantime, all those workers have bills to pay. Those who don’t have deep enough savings will face some hard choices if the shutdown continues to grind on.

AFGE previously sued the government under the same claims after the 2013 shutdown, which lasted 16 days. A judge later ruled that around 25,000 workers were owed double pay due to damages.

More: Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

Sounds reasonable to me. What do you think?

Time to break the union.
So you support making people work without pay....there's a name for that, you know.

Nobody can "make" you work. If you can't wait for your pay or don't want to work until you get paid, you can quit and find another job.

I don't really care about these federal workers. They are parasites off those of us who work in the private sector and don't have all the protections they do.

Like the border patrol agents who aren't being paid love? Those deadbeats as well?
One notices several things....1) trumpanzees can't get a government job...and 2) they support slavery.

A union representing federal workers sued the government Monday over the partial shutdown, saying it was illegal to have hundreds of thousands of employees work without pay during the funding lapse.

The American Federation of Government Employees filed the lawsuit on the shutdown’s 10th day, with no signs of an imminent resolution between Congress and the White House. The union said withholding the pay of workers who continue to clock in during the shutdown runs afoul of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Great Depression-era law establishing a minimum wage and overtime pay.

“This is not an acceptable way for any employer, let alone the U.S. government, to treat its employees,” Heidi Burakiewicz, a lawyer representing the workers, said in a statement. “These employees still need to pay childcare expenses, buy gas, and incur other expenses to go to work every day and yet, they are not getting paid. It is a blatant violation.”

Some 380,000 federal employees have been furloughed during the shutdown, meaning they are out of a job until lawmakers reach a funding agreement. But another 420,000 are continuing to work in “essential” capacities such as in law enforcement, but are not being paid.

After previous shutdowns, Congress has passed legislation to retroactively pay furloughed employees and those who worked through the closures. But in the meantime, all those workers have bills to pay. Those who don’t have deep enough savings will face some hard choices if the shutdown continues to grind on.

AFGE previously sued the government under the same claims after the 2013 shutdown, which lasted 16 days. A judge later ruled that around 25,000 workers were owed double pay due to damages.

More: Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

Time to break the union.
So you support making people work without pay....there's a name for that, you know.
What's your word for being paid for not working? Idiot.

agreed, but everyone should be able to get quality health care.....

no one in the USA, legally or illegally, is being denied health care. They weren't before ACA and they aren't now. Stop lying about this.
you have a reading problem?....ok let me explain this to you....i never said being denied health care,i said able to get quality health care....hope that was easier for you to understand....

ok, I'll use your adjective. No one in the USA, legally or illegally was or is being denied quality health care, before or after ACA. NO ONE. Those of us who paid covered those who couldn't or wouldn't.
sorry i knew more than one person with insurance who had sub-par medical care in the area they lived.....if they needed quality care they had to go a hundred miles to a bigger city.....plus i delivered mail to "poorer" people who were on medicaid who did not get the kind of treatment i was getting for the same problem because medicaid would not pay for it...

OK, so what? healthcare is not a constitutional entitlement. do you think you and Pelosi get the same medical care? How about you and Madonna? Life is not ever equal or fair. that's just the way it is and always has been and always will be.
so i was right....not everyone has access to the best medical care...you could have saved a lot of time and just said....yep,you are right...

So tell Pelosi and Schumer to get off their asses and fund the wall.

If they could agree to use tax dollars to fund 7,000 pieces of DNC-Only PORK in Obama's failed Stimulus Bill, that included funding for things like a research project to determine why a homosexual Argentinian male's sex life is 'better' than an American heterosexual males', then they should be willing to agree to spend $5 billion on ensuring our sovereignty, securing our borders, and protecting US citizens.
Why should they fund the Wall...Mexico is going to pay for it.

Only a liberal could bring up the same point 100 times, get a response 100 times, and bring it up again.

I don't really care about these federal workers. They are parasites off those of us who work in the private sector and don't have all the protections they do.

Like the border patrol agents who aren't being paid love? Those deadbeats as well?
One notices several things....1) trumpanzees can't get a government job...and 2) they support slavery.

Slavery is when a faggot gets the government to force a baker to bake a cake he doesn't want to bake.

It isn't the government saying "sorry we can't pay you until X date" and to be clear I don't think these people should be required to work if the government isn't keeping current on their paychecks, I merely object to the misuse of words.

no one in the USA, legally or illegally, is being denied health care. They weren't before ACA and they aren't now. Stop lying about this.
you have a reading problem?....ok let me explain this to you....i never said being denied health care,i said able to get quality health care....hope that was easier for you to understand....

ok, I'll use your adjective. No one in the USA, legally or illegally was or is being denied quality health care, before or after ACA. NO ONE. Those of us who paid covered those who couldn't or wouldn't.
sorry i knew more than one person with insurance who had sub-par medical care in the area they lived.....if they needed quality care they had to go a hundred miles to a bigger city.....plus i delivered mail to "poorer" people who were on medicaid who did not get the kind of treatment i was getting for the same problem because medicaid would not pay for it...

OK, so what? healthcare is not a constitutional entitlement. do you think you and Pelosi get the same medical care? How about you and Madonna? Life is not ever equal or fair. that's just the way it is and always has been and always will be.
so i was right....not everyone has access to the best medical care...you could have saved a lot of time and just said....yep,you are right...

and they never will. So your desire for universal quality medical care is impossible, even though the USA comes closer than anywhere else in the world. single payor government run and mandated medicine would destroy the best system in the history of the world. NOTHING will ever be equal, until you accept that very basic FACT of life, you will continue to be frustrated by the realities of existence.

what is the fucking end game here? Do these morons expect a court to order Congress to pass a budget and for Trump to sign it? For real.

This case should be laughed out of court on day one.
No...they shouldn't have to report to work if they aren't being paid....don't you get it?

No shit, I agree with that, but the question was "what do they expect a court to do about it"

Of course you are both barely literate and completely dishonest, so it's no surprise that you ignored/didn't understand the point.

So tell Pelosi and Schumer to get off their asses and fund the wall.

If they could agree to use tax dollars to fund 7,000 pieces of DNC-Only PORK in Obama's failed Stimulus Bill, that included funding for things like a research project to determine why a homosexual Argentinian male's sex life is 'better' than an American heterosexual males', then they should be willing to agree to spend $5 billion on ensuring our sovereignty, securing our borders, and protecting US citizens.
Why should they fund the Wall...Mexico is going to pay for it.

Only a liberal could bring up the same point 100 times, get a response 100 times, and bring it up again.

its what they do, their indoctrination is complete, they have become sheep who repeat programmed talking points 24/7/365

what is the fucking end game here? Do these morons expect a court to order Congress to pass a budget and for Trump to sign it? For real.

No...they shouldn't have to report to work if they aren't being paid....don't you get it?

No shit, I agree with that, but the question was "what do they expect a court to do about it"

Of course you are both barely literate and completely dishonest, so it's no surprise that you ignored/didn't understand the point.

if you don't use the reply function we don't know who you are talking to.

What do you mean? I responded to Bodecea. I hit reply and it quoted him. I don't see where I went wrong?

What do you mean? I responded to Bodecea. I hit reply and it quoted him. I don't see where I went wrong?

his post was not there, must be a system problem

and they never will. So your desire for universal quality medical care is impossible, even though the USA comes closer than anywhere else in the world. single payor government run and mandated medicine would destroy the best system in the history of the world. NOTHING will ever be equal, until you accept that very basic FACT of life, you will continue to be frustrated by the realities of existence.
calm down fish you are starting to sound like a frustrated far lefty...you agreed to what i said so whats the point of keeping this going?...

Let's upgrade Ellis Island. It is more cost effective and more humane.
you mean the one in the Arizona desert?....
frivolous at the expense of the Poor?
in the Arizona desert?...
appealing to ignorance is a favorite past time for the right wing.
and yet you mr big left winger could not say how you would get those thousands of people coming up from Mexico thousands of miles over to ellis island.....
Capitalism.

and yet you mr big left winger could not say how you would get those thousands of people coming up from Mexico thousands of miles over to ellis island.....
Capitalism.

That won't stop them from just walking across the border.

Capitalism.

Yes, it will. Rational choice theory is a capital concept. Upgrading Ellis Island is simply more market friendly. Anyone could "get a ride" to the Island.

Capitalism.

Yes, it will. Rational choice theory is a capital concept. Upgrading Ellis Island is simply more market friendly. Anyone could "get a ride" to the Island.

Hmmm. That's stupid. To get from Mexico to Ellis Island requires a plane flight or a boat ride, complete with an ID and a record of your doing so. Walking across the border requires, well, walking, and no attendant record of ID or the fact that you did it.

Which one is a Central American trying to break into the US more likely to use? How about someone who desires to kill Americans? We're not trying to keep out those who are willing to follow our laws to get here. We're trying to keep out those who are willing to break our laws.

Capitalism.

Hmmm. That's stupid. To get from Mexico to Ellis Island requires a plane flight or a boat ride, complete with an ID and a record of your doing so. Walking across the border requires, well, walking, and no attendant record of ID or the fact that you did it.

Which one is a Central American trying to break into the US more likely to use? How about someone who desires to kill Americans? We're not trying to keep out those who are willing to follow our laws to get here. We're trying to keep out those who are willing to break our laws.
We don't have an immigration clause. We have a naturalization clause. All foreign nationals in the US must have a federal id. Upgrading Ellis Island and surrounding infrastructure is more cost effective and humane. They can be issued a federal id. at Ellis Island.

Capitalism.
ok...explain like you have been asked to 50 times in other threads but you always danced around the question...lets see it...

Capitalism.

oh really?.....who is going to give them that nice long ride and who will pay for it?....

Forum List

Back