Finally! An Explanation!!

It wasn't just Reagan's or Congress' fault. The courts gutted the mental health system along the way by effectively saying someone had a right to be crazy and it was inhumane to make sure they were kept in a facility to be cared for. Reagan is easy (and popular) to blame, but those Solons in black robes helped create this mess.

Who started it? It wasn't the courts...

It wasn't a problem that started on January 20, 1981. It wasn't just the courts and it wasn't just the legislatures and it wasn't just the president and governors. The whole system was chipped away at for years.

Actually it was Jimmy Carters Commission on Mental Health that was the strongest advocate behind the deinstitutionalization movement.
Why are LW'ers SUCH historical revisionists?
Lay out all that you have and let's check it out. TY.

Note the section about Carter.

Deinstitutionalization - Special Reports | The New Asylums | FRONTLINE | PBS

From your link:

"Deinstitutionalization was based on the principle that severe mental illness should be treated in the least restrictive setting. As further defined by President Jimmy Carter's Commission on Mental Health, this ideology rested on "the objective of maintaining the greatest degree of freedom, self-determination, autonomy, dignity, and integrity of body, mind, and spirit for the individual while he or she participates in treatment or receives services."8 This is a laudable goal and for many, perhaps for the majority of those who are deinstitutionalized, it has been at least partially realized. Deinstitutionalization - Special Reports | The New Asylums | FRONTLINE | PBS

I'm sure the guy who requested the above information from you will be sending you a rep.....

Actually it was Jimmy Carters Commission on Mental Health that was the strongest advocate behind the deinstitutionalization movement.
Why are LW'ers SUCH historical revisionists?

When I have time I will. It's an interesting, and difficult, problem to fix. TY.

From your link:

"Deinstitutionalization was based on the principle that severe mental illness should be treated in the least restrictive setting. As further defined by President Jimmy Carter's Commission on Mental Health, this ideology rested on "the objective of maintaining the greatest degree of freedom, self-determination, autonomy, dignity, and integrity of body, mind, and spirit for the individual while he or she participates in treatment or receives services."8 This is a laudable goal and for many, perhaps for the majority of those who are deinstitutionalized, it has been at least partially realized. Deinstitutionalization - Special Reports | The New Asylums | FRONTLINE | PBS

I'm sure the guy who requested the above information from you will be sending you a rep.....
I don't do that for anyone but if I did, I would. This is not a partisan issue.

have you anything to correlate your statement with facts and not opinion on votes for a president and the mentally challenged prison population as of late?

what president defunded(25%) mental health support by the govt.?

Not Reagan, like the hate sites have trained you to lie. That was a California action, pushed by an ACLU lawsuit and a democratic assembly - but hey, you're a democrat, lying is a virtue to you.

have you anything to correlate your statement with facts and not opinion on votes for a president and the mentally challenged prison population as of late?

what president defunded(25%) mental health support by the govt.?

Not Reagan, like the hate sites have trained you to lie. That was a California action, pushed by an ACLU lawsuit and a democratic assembly - but hey, you're a democrat, lying is a virtue to you.

Undoubtedly you have the inane ability to jump to a conclusion,,,,, without looking...

Last edited:
The disappearance of 90% of beds for the MH population did not happen in five years.

It began with the Reaganites, and both parties have been culpable ever since.

Reagan did cut the budget side, but it did start earlier, but then again Reagan was looking at cutting budget expenditures and wanted to eliminate it...but Congress would not let him......the compromise was 25% cut in the budget for the federal level of federal funding in 1981 with the Budget Reconciliation Act.

[

Not the first time you were confused where you were and what is happening

You said a hack started this thread - which would mean you..

But then I look, and see PC started it - and she is no hack.. :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Maybe this is like 7 million "signing up for Fascist Care," made up lies?

Standard Disclaimer: Less than one million people who were not already covered signed up for Fascist Care. Was the goal just to force people off private plans? Were the Obamunists AGAIN lying about what they sought to achieve?

The disappearance of 90% of beds for the MH population did not happen in five years.

It began with the Reaganites, and both parties have been culpable ever since.

And this is the explanation for your sleeping in a refrigerator box?

Forum List

Back