First Rachel Dolezal, and now THIS!?!?!

The only problem I have with her is that she appears to be rather old to be playing Hermione. I've never read the Potter books, but is Hermione ever defined as definitely white?
This play takes place many years after the end of the series.

Whether or not Hermione was described in the books as white, there is an entire movie series that depicts her as white.

This is a play. The part will be played by many women. Having the part played by a black woman will certainly separate the play from both the books and the movie.

The only problem I have with her is that she appears to be rather old to be playing Hermione. I've never read the Potter books, but is Hermione ever defined as definitely white?

Whether or not Hermione was described in the books as white, there is an entire movie series that depicts her as white.

This is a play. The part will be played by many women. Having the part played by a black woman will certainly separate the play from both the books and the movie.

If melanin is the only thing that matters to you...

The only problem I have with her is that she appears to be rather old to be playing Hermione.
Would you have a problem with Huck Finn and his father being played by blacks? It would be far more befitting. Perhaps it was Twain's political correctness that they were written as white.
They were written as white. Hermione wasn't. Come on, you can do better than that.

If the actress was cast because she is black, it is obvious that it is a decision influenced by politically correctness. I imagine it is.

That makes it cheap, as I understand much of the new Star Wars movie is.
you understand little

If the actress was cast because she is black, it is obvious that it is a decision influenced by politically correctness. I imagine it is.

That makes it cheap, as I understand much of the new Star Wars movie is.
when they do the life story of Micheal Moore, will the person who plays him be a 400 pound black man?

If the actress was cast because she is black, it is obvious that it is a decision influenced by politically correctness. I imagine it is. That makes it cheap, as I understand much of the new Star Wars movie is.
when they do the life story of Micheal Moore, will the person who plays him be a 400 pound black man?
Having trouble with the concept of fiction vs. non-fiction?

If Rowling wanted Hermione to be black, why didn't she write her as black in the books?

Yes! This. Exactly this. I mean, this makes about as much sense as writing alien characters on a TV show with human faces, and then one day writing them with with totally different faces. Oh wait....

young_and_old_Kor.jpg

That was explained in Enterprise.

The only problem I have with her is that she appears to be rather old to be playing Hermione.
Would you have a problem with Huck Finn and his father being played by blacks? It would be far more befitting. Perhaps it was Twain's political correctness that they were written as white.

That is probably the worst example you could use as race was the entire subtext of that story.

Can't wrap your mind around it huh?

Michael Moore auditioned for the role but there was an architectural problem siwh the stage floor. Cost of reinforcement too great for the budget. And, of course, the colour thing but if Moore thought himself black it would be racist for you not to agree.

If melanin is the only thing that matters to you...

I will probably never see this play. The part will be played by many different women of all races.

Forum List

Back