Five reasons Christians should read the Book of Mormon

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
1) it was written to persuade men to come to Christ.
2) it proves God is active in the world and remembers His covenants.
3) it plainly teaches the Doctrine of Christ and the Father's plan of Happiness.
4) it contains an account of Christ's ministry among the natives.
5) it can bring men closer to God.

there are many additional reasons. But that's the start of my list

What is Mormonism

Mormons believe that when their founder, Joseph Smith, was just 21-years-old, an angel named Moroni gave him ancient records, written on plates of gold, much like the tablets of Moses, when given the Ten Commandments. However, Smith was unable to interpret these writings, apparently due to his illiteracy, and lack of education, so they believe God intervened, giving Joseph the ability translate the message to his scribes. After the encounter with the angel Moroni, Joseph did just that, and The Book of Mormon was written over a period of about three months. [ix]

The great Apostle Paul in his letter to the Galatian’s warns:

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:6-9) (Emphasis added).

The Christian believes that salvation is by grace alone, and not by works, lest anyone boast. We believe this, because the Lord our God, through his great Apostle Paul tells us so.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The last words, spoken by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, while he was perishing from a brutal crucifixion on that old rugged cross were— Tetelestai! Those words echo in the hearts and minds of born again believers in Jesus Christ (John 3:3). This was spoken in His native tongue, the Aramaic language, which literally translates to “it is finished!” Christians not only believe the last words of the Christ, we cling to that promise from God the Son.

Sadly, Mormons believe that the work of Jesus Christ on the cross was not enough to save them. Mormons believe that to gain eternal life, they must add to that atonement by earning their salvation through works.

For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. (II Nephi 25:23) (Emphasis added).

I think all messages, angels giving direction, etc ended when Jesus was murdered. Anything after that is just what mankind keeps seeking....some kind of confirmation.

If I were God, I would not want to talk to us any more either.

The problem I have with organized Christianity is that it's spiritually dead. It's dependant on accepting the bible as the word if God. The bible is ancient.

I personally believe the truth is the word of God. And the truth didn't end in 33 A.D.

I am not very familiar with Mormon spirituality. My experience with Mormons was personal most often they seem like nice folks but one experience was incredibly nasty and it's difficult not to let that cloud my judgement. So perhaps I will save my comments because they may be personal and overly biased.

I would like to hear more.

3) it plainly teaches the Doctrine of Christ and the Father's plan of Happiness.

My frank assessment is that Joseph Smith was a con man who used Jesus as bait to draw men to Joseph Smith. The ministry among the natives has been shown to be false. However...Look what happens when, for whatever reasons, Jesus Christ is brought into the mix of questionable motives. Great things happen. That the Church with these beginnings is a great and faith follower of Christ tells a powerful story of just how active and powerful God is in the world.

I agree the LDS Church teaches the New Testament, the doctrine of Christ. It also adds some of the Joseph Smith imaginings--and some of those I am not too fond of. There is no question that Jesus Christ, through the LDS Church, has brought men closer to God, which tells me that doctrines added by Joseph Smith--even if they are shown to be false/wrong--do not trouble God. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (although I see the Trinity differently than do the people of the LDS faith) is clearly present in the Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints.

I am interested in the continued presentation of your list. As you see, we are not going to agree on everything, but I am of the opinion the Mormon faith is worthy of time and study. Good topic, refreshing among some others, I might add.

I am not going to read the book of Mormons, unless Mormons start crashing planes into buildings. Because that is the only reason I bothered to read the Quran, and having read it I started condemning it as bunk. From what I have read about the book of Mormons in post 2 of this thread, I have no doubt that if I read it I would find it too is bunk.

I've read the Book of Mormon and the Quran, but I read and enjoy all kinds of mythology. It's interesting to see the kinds of stories people tell to explain what was unexplainable. I also read academic criticisms of myths and Joseph Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Faces was a huge moment in my life when it became clear to me that there is some thread going through the human psyche that needs these stories and needs the kind of heroes that we came up with and independently made the same story over and over and over.

The problem I have with organized Christianity is that it's spiritually dead. It's dependant on accepting the bible as the word if God. The bible is ancient.

I personally believe the truth is the word of God. And the truth didn't end in 33 A.D.

I am not very familiar with Mormon spirituality. My experience with Mormons was personal most often they seem like nice folks but one experience was incredibly nasty and it's difficult not to let that cloud my judgement. So perhaps I will save my comments because they may be personal and overly biased.

I would like to hear more.

Itchy ears always want to hear more . . . lies.

Jesus christ. .. don't push your Romney religion on me. I dont want to hear it. Your a mod. Contribute in other ways. Wow...shit.

Thought you should know.... ;)
Moderators are members just like the rest of us and are not censored in what they want to post about.....When they post and contribute with threads, they are not doing so as moderators, but as long time members of this board, before, during, and after being moderators. Only when you see them post in RED INK are they posting on this board as moderators.

Jesus christ. .. don't push your Romney religion on me. I dont want to hear it. Your a mod. Contribute in other ways. Wow...shit.

Thought you should know.... ;)
Moderators are members just like the rest of us and are not censored in what they want to post about.....When they post and contribute with threads, they are not doing so as moderators, but as long time members of this board, before, during, and after being moderators. Only when you see them post in RED INK are they posting on this board as moderators.

Well said....

Too bad it is false. I have a Book of Mormon, somewhere.

What is Mormonism

Mormons believe that when their founder, Joseph Smith, was just 21-years-old, an angel named Moroni gave him ancient records, written on plates of gold, much like the tablets of Moses, when given the Ten Commandments. However, Smith was unable to interpret these writings, apparently due to his illiteracy, and lack of education, so they believe God intervened, giving Joseph the ability translate the message to his scribes. After the encounter with the angel Moroni, Joseph did just that, and The Book of Mormon was written over a period of about three months. [ix]

The great Apostle Paul in his letter to the Galatian’s warns:

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:6-9) (Emphasis added).

The Christian believes that salvation is by grace alone, and not by works, lest anyone boast. We believe this, because the Lord our God, through his great Apostle Paul tells us so.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The last words, spoken by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, while he was perishing from a brutal crucifixion on that old rugged cross were— Tetelestai! Those words echo in the hearts and minds of born again believers in Jesus Christ (John 3:3). This was spoken in His native tongue, the Aramaic language, which literally translates to “it is finished!” Christians not only believe the last words of the Christ, we cling to that promise from God the Son.

Sadly, Mormons believe that the work of Jesus Christ on the cross was not enough to save them. Mormons believe that to gain eternal life, they must add to that atonement by earning their salvation through works.

For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. (II Nephi 25:23) (Emphasis added).
In this last paragraph of scripture, what does, after all we can do mean?

Is it saying that we try as hard as we can try, (our own good works), but in the end, it is Christ who has saved us because we will still fall short?

And who is it that said, Faith without works, is dead? Was that Paul also?

My frank assessment is that Joseph Smith was a con man who used Jesus as bait to draw men to Joseph Smith. The ministry among the natives has been shown to be false. However...Look what happens when, for whatever reasons, Jesus Christ is brought into the mix of questionable motives. Great things happen. That the Church with these beginnings is a great and faith follower of Christ tells a powerful story of just how active and powerful God is in the world.

I agree the LDS Church teaches the New Testament, the doctrine of Christ. It also adds some of the Joseph Smith imaginings--and some of those I am not too fond of. There is no question that Jesus Christ, through the LDS Church, has brought men closer to God, which tells me that doctrines added by Joseph Smith--even if they are shown to be false/wrong--do not trouble God. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (although I see the Trinity differently than do the people of the LDS faith) is clearly present in the Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints.

I am interested in the continued presentation of your list. As you see, we are not going to agree on everything, but I am of the opinion the Mormon faith is worthy of time and study. Good topic, refreshing among some others, I might add.

I read it once.

Didn't do a thing for me.

Forum List

Back