🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Flaws in the ‘Lone Wolf’ Analysis.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Beginning in the late twentieth century, the West became enthralled by the term “lone wolf” and began using it to denote perpetrators of particularly heinous crimes who act without the assistance of other criminals. The term has become practically ubiquitous with journalists, analysts and politicians now instinctively applying it not only to psychopaths like Aurora, Colorado movie theater shooter James Holmes and Newtown, Connecticut child-killer Adam Lanza, but also to jihadists, even when they attack in pairs, like roommates Elton Simpson and Nadir Soofi, brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev or husband and wife Syed Rizwan Farooq and Tashfeen Malik. Rarely has a term so frequently used been so inconsistently applied.

Whatever originality or dubious benefit it might have brought to the study of political violence, the lone wolf analysis has ceased to be useful. There little consensus over its meaning, and it is illogical and misleading when used to describe jihadists. In the age of Obama it has become a red herring detracting attention from the growing global jihad movement.

Flaws in the ‘Lone Wolf’ Analysis

• Banned
How much more has the "jihad" movement grown since 9/11?

That was quick. You can't have read the whole piece in that time.
I see, you think I need to read your piece for you to answer a question..Ever hear of speed reading? A little thing I picked up in college...

Is this the direction of your discussion? Because I'm not interested.

There are other threads for that sort of thing.

Beginning in the late twentieth century, the West became enthralled by the term “lone wolf” and began using it to denote perpetrators of particularly heinous crimes who act without the assistance of other criminals. The term has become practically ubiquitous with journalists, analysts and politicians now instinctively applying it not only to psychopaths like Aurora, Colorado movie theater shooter James Holmes and Newtown, Connecticut child-killer Adam Lanza, but also to jihadists, even when they attack in pairs, like roommates Elton Simpson and Nadir Soofi, brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev or husband and wife Syed Rizwan Farooq and Tashfeen Malik. Rarely has a term so frequently used been so inconsistently applied.

Whatever originality or dubious benefit it might have brought to the study of political violence, the lone wolf analysis has ceased to be useful. There little consensus over its meaning, and it is illogical and misleading when used to describe jihadists. In the age of Obama it has become a red herring detracting attention from the growing global jihad movement.

Mindful , interesting article.

It traces the recent evolution of the term but does nothing to deny the term applies to self operating mass killers.

The FBI calls them mass killers, btw. This term has been around since Howard Unruh in 1949 at Camden NJ USA went on a shooting spree. Prior to this in 1927 Andrew Kehoe went on a bombing spree in Bath MICH USA.

This differs from a spree killer that takes several days or more, and a serial killer that spreads their killing over years.

They are all lone wolves, but the mass killers have recently gotten the attention of the media. These come in two kinds, non-Islamists and Islamists.

While truck bombing evolved in the Middle East and Africa, lone wolf mass killers evolved first in Russia in 1925 with Peter Grachev in Ivankovo USSR who killed 17 and wounded 3 more. With Kehoe and Unruh this evil emerged in the USA later. Islamists have now employed it in Africa, Middle East, and Europe.

The lone wolf attacker is normally American or Russian, although the recent German teen was probably similar.

You can call it a Russian creation.

You can google each of these names for verification.

My source is an FBI crime manual that I saw at a bookstore in the crime section.

Last edited:

I see, you think I need to read your piece for you to answer a question..Ever hear of speed reading? A little thing I picked up in college...
Me too ... read the first paragraph ... read the last paragraph ... and skim the middle.

I don't think so. Not in this case.

Me too ... read the first paragraph ... read the last paragraph ... and skim the middle.

The author just goes on and on repeating himself. Not particularly impressive.

Mindful , interesting article.

It traces the recent evolution of the term but does nothing to deny the term applies to self operating mass killers.

The FBI calls them mass killers, btw. This term has been around since Howard Unruh in 1949 at Camden NJ USA went on a shooting spree. Prior to this in 1927 Andrew Kehoe went on a bombing spree in Bath MICH USA.

This differs from a spree killer that takes several days or more, and a serial killer that spreads their killing over years.

They are all lone wolves, but the mass killers have recently gotten the attention of the media. These come in two kinds, non-Islamists and Islamists.

While truck bombing evolved in the Middle East and Africa, lone wolf mass killers evolved first in Russia in 1925 with Peter Grachev in Ivankovo USSR who killed 17 and wounded 3 more. With Kehoe and Unruh this evil emerged in the USA later. Islamists have now employed it in Africa, Middle East, and Europe.

The lone wolf attacker is normally American or Russian, although the recent German teen was probably similar.

You can google each of these names for verification.

My source is an FBI crime manual that I saw at a bookstore in the crime section.

From the article:

'Over and over again, Join the Caravan stresses that “jihad is a collective act of worship.” Every individual has a role to play. Some will fight in the lead and others will follow. Those who are too weak or ill to fight (“such as the cripple”) can still support the fight by “working in other spheres.” Or Azzam advises they “go out to swell the ranks for this will help terrorize the enemy.”

Azzam’s rhetoric endures largely unchanged today. The caravan metaphor recurs in the ISIS online magazine Dabiq which follows Azzam’s rhetoric closely, frequently cites his words and uses his image. Issue #10 urges English-speaking readers to “Join the Caravan of Islamic State Knights in the Lands of the Crusaders” and shows images of 13 jihadists who struck in the US, Europe and Australia.

The global jihadist movement has a massive support system, both real and virtual. A jihadist may attack solo but he is always supported by a community that believes he is partaking honorably and piously in a 1400-year old tradition. The battle cry "Allahu Akbar" is a sign of that community; those who shout it during an attack are not "unaffiliated,” and they are not “lone wolves.”'

The author just goes on and on repeating himself. Not particularly impressive.

Well that's that then. As far as you're concerned?

Sebastian Gorka is right

I remember watching him on American TV.

??? I think he nailed it-----the "lone wolf" characterization of
the jihadists is DESIGNED to keep us stupid. We are supposed to believe that JIHAD is not a world wide Islamic
-----thingy

Even if they do act seemingly alone, they get the moral, and logistic support from the group.

they get propagandized to do what they do-----from infancy

Sebastian Gorka is right

the jihadists is DESIGNED to keep us stupid. We are supposed to believe that JIHAD is not a world wide Islamic
-----thingy

Even if they do act seemingly alone, they get the moral, and logistic support from the group.

I think it is like that in most people. Something ingrained early on, an event in later life can trigger something in them (good or bad works both ways).

Sebastian Gorka is right

-----thingy

I think it is like that in most people. Something ingrained early on, an event in later life can trigger something in them (good or bad works both ways).

The notions of good or bad don't apply to the perpetrators. There's always a 'reason'.

In the case of the recent knife attacks in the Japanese care home, the attacker was, in his mindset, being altruistic. His logic being that these poor people should not have to suffer further the indignity of their condition. So, better to end it for them.

Puts me in mind of someone else, who mass euthanised handicapped people. Before he got to the Jews.

Forum List

Back