Florida Senate, on a 23-16 vote, just passed legislation ending Disney’s tax privilege, self-governing power & special exemption status

Like most of their hasty decisions, Republicans will come to regret this one

Disney Lawyers are going to make the local community pick up the cost of public services

Like most of their hasty decisions, Republicans will come to regret this one

Disney Lawyers are going to make the local community pick up the cost of public services
It is just an idea right now no law has been passed to take away anything from Disney.

Disney bought barren farmland in Central Florida

It had no infrastructure, water, power, housing
Disney offered to pay for it all if they had control of how it is used
Months ago, I saw on TV a documentary about how, and WHY, Walt Disney got the locals in Fla to do this. And how he hid from the public eye exactly where he was expanding. It was fascinating. Walt was "pretty right wing oriented" and his vision of a "city" didn't work out. Epcot is the remains of the day (-:

But the World will lose its right to build whatever it wants on its land, subject to environmental laws, without interference, and further payoffs, to county crooks .. I mean politicians.

It is just an idea right now no law has been passed to take away anything from Disney.

I would have to see what was in the original contract.
Disney invested hundreds of millions in the region and I can’t see them turning control back to Florida without compensation.

Republicans are doing a victory dance right now, but I don’t think low tax Republicans will be happy when the bill comes in

What Fla law authorizes "quasi cities?" I don't think any. Rather the land would be "unincorporated" and part of a county. Along with all infrastructure, services, debt and taxes. JMO.

We'll see. (-:
When does a county ever take over the private debt of a Corporation? Specifically a corporation as rich as Disney? It is Disney debt and they are responsible. It is nothing but Moon Bat stupidity to claim that taxpayers will be responsible for the bonds of the Disney corporation.

It is Moon Bat lies to claim otherwise like we see all the time.

Now Orange and Osceola counties have a source of property tax revenue and fees associated with permits, inspections, etc that they didn't have before. The Democrats running those counties are already counting their wealth. To the tune of several hundred million dollars a year.

Disney will be no different than any other big business in Florida. No more special treatment. If you weren't such a stupid Moon bats butt hurt over the queer shit you would understand that.

Months ago, I saw on TV a documentary about how, and WHY, Walt Disney got the locals in Fla to do this. And how he hid from the public eye exactly where he was expanding. It was fascinating. Walt was "pretty right wing oriented" and his vision of a "city" didn't work out. Epcot is the remains of the day (-:

But the World will lose its right to build whatever it wants on its land, subject to environmental laws, without interference, and further payoffs, to county crooks .. I mean politicians.

When Disney came to Florida is was considered a good thing. After all back then Walt Disney was considered an icon and wholesome America.

It was dumb back then for the Florida politicians to give away everything to Disney. Greed probably had a lot to do with it. Politicians do stupid things all the time.

Disney had the special treatment for over 50 years. That is 50 years of not having to pay country property taxes and being able to pollute the environment any way they wanted.

DeSantis put an end to that because Disney got uppity on insisting they could be Groomers.

Maybe Disney learned to keep its mouth shut, especially when it comes to turning kids into queers and transsexuals. However, I doubt it.

When does a county ever take over the private debt of a Corporation? Specifically a corporation as rich as Disney? It is Disney debt and they are responsible. It is nothing but Moon Bat stupidity to claim that taxpayers will be responsible for the bonds of the Disney corporation.

It is Moon Bat lies to claim otherwise like we see all the time.

Now Orange and Osceola counties have a source of property tax revenue and fees associated with permits, inspections, etc that they didn't have before. The Democrats running those counties are already counting their wealth. To the tune of several hundred million dollars a year.

Disney will be no different than any other big business in Florida. No more special treatment. If you weren't such a stupid Moon bats butt hurt over the queer shit you would understand that.
That debt paid for infrastructure in the District.
Water systems, electric, communications, road improvements

Florida cannot take control of that investment without reimbursing Disney.

Look for major tax increases

Maybe Disney learned to keep its mouth shut, especially when it comes to turning kids into queers and transsexuals. However, I doubt it.
:thup:

No kidding. We really need to fight those who lack critical thinking skills. Did you know that there are actually guys who think they are girls (even costing actual girls scholarships), and there is a group in the world that actually accept this stuff?
I accept people as they are, not what I want them to be.

I would have to see what was in the original contract.
Disney invested hundreds of millions in the region and I can’t see them turning control back to Florida without compensation.

Republicans are doing a victory dance right now, but I don’t think low tax Republicans will be happy when the bill comes in
I think Disney World is what China aspires to. LOL It's certainly well run, no denying that.

That is 50 years of not having to pay country property taxes

Why do you all keep parroting this lie? They have always paid the county property taxes.

They even sued the county for over valuing their property and got a refund from said county

When they remove their ability to self govern. The debt is for the roads and the power plant and the water plant and all the rest. That will all now be the counties, along with the debt used to build it.
I'll be very curious about the "city." From what little I see, Walt had some vision of an enclosed city of World employees. I think the few people actually there now are high level employees. I have no idea if they have houses or what.
debt owed by a city could be interesting, but I have no idea to whom any debt might be owed.

The bill simply makes the "development district" go poof. But the city is a separate entity. Apparently.

This is highly entertaining. Reedy Creek owes OVER A BILLION DOLLARS. That's roads, sewers, water, pipes, wires ....... If Reedy Creek doesn't exist, the roads still do. And they're in the counties. Workers need the roads to get to work. Tourists need the roads to get to the Parks.

Republicans sponsors, often unable to give detailed answers to questions about financial and legal implications of the legislation during floor discussions, suggested that the legislature could work through logistics of the dissolution over the next year.
Florida Democrats this week have been outspoken against the bills, accusing Republicans of retaliating against Florida's largest private employer in ways that will reverberate throughout the state's important tourism economy.
State Sen. Gary Farmer, a Democrat, called the tactic "shoot first, ask questions later."
"The debt service alone for Reedy Creek is over a billion dollars," Farmer said Wednesday. "This bill makes no provision as to how that debt service is going to be assumed. Local government entities must pick up assets and liabilities of any special district that is dissolved."

Forum List

Back